★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Best 3D Control Scheme?

03-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Best 3D Control Scheme?

Hey everyone, I'm the developer of CastleGuard. Though it's a simple entry to the appstore in its initial form, I've been working hard on the first update. Because the game is growing into an Action RPG, the major new feature for this update of course is player movement. (The initial release has you defending a single spot in the level).

I though I would ask folks what their favorite control scheme is for 1st or 3rd person style 3D games is in terms of controls/swipes. I've got something I'm fairly happy with now Short Vid that I am converting to touch areas (no buttons) but it is not good to design in the dark, so I thought I would ask the community what control scheme people have liked for moving a player around before I solidify the design.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
03-19-2009, 08:34 AM
How about like Payback.

Tilt the iPhone to turn and have an Up and Down Arrow button
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1863  

03-19-2009, 08:40 AM
yeah i agree with you on the payback scheme, i think it is one of the easiest to use. Another one to look at is the Hero Of Sparta controls, which has a analog stick in the lower right corner, and attack buttons in the lower right.
03-19-2009, 08:42 AM
definitely payback extremely easy to use...

DinoSmash online id: *DoMbAv94* (stars included)
I LOVE THE IPOTCH!!!!!!
App reviewer on Appmania!
CarJack Streets Promo Code Giveaway!!!
03-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Send a message via MSN to Sierra275
Maybe a movement wheel on one side, and seeing as it's an RPG, action buttons on the other side. I don't think a dual-wheel system will be good for an RPG, unless it's very action-oriented e.g iDracula or Paradise. Or a virtual joystick, something like Hero of Sparta.

Sierra275 on Gameloft Live, Openfeint, Gamecenter, and most other social gaming networks on the iTouch.
03-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Guys, he said 3D. Payback is 2D movement, it's just rendered in 3D. I assume the OP wants proper 3D FPS controls, and from the looks of the video the new game LiveFire looks like it does it quite well.

http://toucharcade.com/2009/03/18/li...app-purchases/

EDIT: Ok, after watching the video, I do think Payback's control scheme would fit your game quite well.

Last edited by Ph4ntom4; 03-19-2009 at 09:19 AM.
03-19-2009, 09:30 AM
I bought this a couple of days ago, and was hoping you were planning on adding some true movement to it. Please don't go the individual buttons like in the video, though. While I hate to see it become perceived as a "clone", I'd consider mimicing the controls of iDracula, at least where movement is concerned. It just seems like it would fit so well with your imagined implementation of the game.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
03-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I checked out several including Payback, and found a scheme which works quite well. The buttons in the videos were just touch 'areas' that would more than likely be transparent areas (or mostly transparent).

I haven't decided if I will put a cam look up/down control in, the dungeon I'm building right now keeps begging me to do it!

I think controls should be functional and easy to use but not hog the screen either, all in all a tough order.
03-23-2009, 01:18 PM
I think the iDracula control scheme would work very well for a 3d shooter. The only potential issue for this control scheme is the camera.

edit: I said 3d shooter, but if you look at Too Human, this control scheme could work well for a swordplay game as well.

Last edited by danc4498; 03-23-2009 at 01:25 PM.
03-23-2009, 01:21 PM
I liked the view you had before Dave. When you have any video, we would love to see it, so we can continue to help you.