★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Already over the RAGE and INFINITY SWORD hype.

11-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Already over the RAGE and INFINITY SWORD hype.

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting over the hype about RAGE and INFINITY SWORD?

I was very hyped about the unreal engine being on iphone that I completely overlooked the mundane-looking gameplay. I was very impressed with RAGE for about 10 minutes, but at 1.3 gigs (uncompressed) for such little content and boring gameplay, I was probably more impressed with the engine, than the actual game.

If you just put aside the hype being created, and just ponder deeply on what kind of game Infinity Blade will be. It's really not that big of a deal. Don't get me wrong. I understand the potential that the RAGE/Unreal engine will bring to iOS gaming, but the direction of the developers is somewhat "half-assed." I think I'm more impressed with what the ARALON Sword and Shadow developers are doing as well as EA's announcement of Battlefield BC iphone.

Last edited by weehoo; 11-27-2010 at 01:21 PM.
11-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
I cracked up when I read Infinity SWORD.

11-27-2010, 01:03 PM
I seriously doubt that I'll buy IB, and I don't plan on getting Rage, so agreed.
11-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weehoo View Post
Is it just me, or is anyone else getting over the hype about RAGE and INFINITY SWORD?

I was very hyped about the unreal engine being on iphone that I completely overlooked the mundane-looking gameplay. I was very impressed with RAGE for about 10 minutes, but at 1.3 gigs (uncompressed) for such little content and boring gameplay, I was probably more impressed with the engine, than the actual game.

If you just put aside the hype being created, and just ponder deeply on what kind of game Infinity Blade will be. It's really not that big of a deal. Don't get me wrong. I understand the potential that the RAGE/Unreal engine will bring to iOS gaming, but the direction of the developers is somewhat "half-assed." I think I'm more impressed with what the ARALON Sword and Shadow developers are doing as well as EA's announcement of Battlefield BC iphone.
i never thought much of the hype surrounding rage. i think less about the finished product.

i am, however, very excited for infinity blade. i've read the articles all over the place, and i think the gameplay will be a tremendous amount of fun. it might not be as content-rich as aralon, but it is exactly what i am looking for...a brilliant looking, well polished pick up and play designed specifically for iOS.

i am impressed with aralon.

i couldn't care less about EA.

GameCenter = McCREE

*please, no more RR3 friend requests*
11-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weehoo View Post

Amen brother.
Actually I am hyped for Infinity though. I know I will be disappointed with the game play because of the hands on videos I saw, but I'm dying to see those gorgeous graphics!
11-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCM View Post
Amen brother.
Actually I am hyped for Infinity though. I know I will be disappointed with the game play because of the hands on videos I saw, but I'm dying to see those gorgeous graphics!
Well I'm more excited for aralon out of all of these, I feel infinity blade has been hyped to long and should just come out! Anyway I will buy all of these anyway because if I don't I would be saving all my iTunes money for no reason!
11-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCM View Post
Amen brother.
You and me both.

The gameplay though, I think will be fun. Intense finger sword fighting? Haven't seen this done before. Especially with the elements of depth, xp and complexity entwined along the sword fighting mechanics.

Sure it may not be as magnificent as Aralon (must must must have) but it still looks as good, in a different way.

Beta Tester for: iBlastMoki 2, Deadlock, Aralon: Sword & Shadow HD
Gameloft: Pacificsun81
Gamecenter: Pacificsun81
11-27-2010, 01:15 PM
I think both games have been over-hyped, purely because of the graphics. I didn't like RAGE much (the controls and gameplay suck), and I'm not too sure that'll I'll like Infinity Blade either. Having nice graphics is cool, but not when you severely dumb down the gameplay. I'm looking forward to Aralon, much more than Infinity Blade. I'm also looking forward to Gameloft's NOVA 2, Shadow Guardian, Asphalt 6 and Dungeon Hunter 2. Also from EA, Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Dead Space 2 and from Firemint, Real Racing 2.

Hakuna Matata
11-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Well, while you may think the games are over-hyped, I think the main impact the games have on iDevice gaming is the advancement of their graphic capabilities. I'm sure that sometime down the road, there will be a high-quality game that uses this engine. Remember, technology moves fast, but harnessing the powers of new deveopments will take a bit longer.

Betas: Victory Day, Victory March, Zombwich, Mission Europa, Shadow Era, Slice It!, Baseball Superstars 2011, Queen's Crown, Aralon: Sword and Shadow, Zombie Runaway, Third Blade, Tower Defense: Lost Earth
11-27-2010, 01:27 PM
I can't believe people are already drawing conclusions about Infinity Blade. IGN said it will be the best iPhone game of all time, and although IGN are not always right such tremendous acclaim already cannot mean it will be 'mundane'.

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3