★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

"on rails" gaming?

11-27-2010, 03:00 PM
"on rails" gaming?

what does "on rails" mean? i tryed googling it but couldn't find an answer...is rails a type of graphics engine or something?
11-27-2010, 03:04 PM
It means the game has a predefined path of movement already and you're not allowed to control where you go.

11-27-2010, 03:08 PM
"On rails" games are usually first person style games but instead of being able to walk wherever you want your character has a preprogrammed path that they follow and you mainly control aiming...

examples on IOS are Doom Resurrection and Rage...

examples from the olden days are Pokemon Snap, Star Blade, Panzer Dragoon and Star Fox on snes

does that help?

Flangle Flangle Flangle Play No More!
11-27-2010, 03:19 PM
yeah i understand thanks. those types of games suck...whats all the hype about with RAGE then? i doubt many people like it...
11-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouSuckDude View Post
yeah i understand thanks. those types of games suck...whats all the hype about with RAGE then? i doubt many people like it...
loved it. Loved Doom resurrection too.
11-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Quote:
as with all games it come down to a matter of taste!

Personally.. sometimes I'm in the mood for a quick target shooting game and other times I enjoy a "real" FPS.

Mostly comes down to the amount of time I have to play. If I'm on a flight or something I prefer a longer more involved kind of game but if I'm makin a poop I prefer something that doesn't require as much effort!

Flangle Flangle Flangle Play No More!
11-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Quote:
yeah i understand thanks. those types of games suck...
Hahaha!

Amen.

Quote:
whats all the hype about with RAGE then?
Great graphics.

Quote:
i doubt many people like it...
Some people like it. But I bet most people only tolerate it, and are more forgiving of the gameplay because of the graphics and the big names attached to it.
11-27-2010, 03:39 PM
lol thanks for the responses. and yeah you're right it is a matter of opinion...i mean obviously SOME people enjoy those types of games. i personally like the freedom of being able to control my character...video games where you have to watch your character move just dont feel like video games to me... :/
11-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Quote:
lol thanks for the responses. and yeah you're right it is a matter of opinion...i mean obviously SOME people enjoy those types of games. i personally like the freedom of being able to control my character...video games where you have to watch your character move just dont feel like video games to me... :/
+1 , definitely man.
11-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsharpfilm View Post
Some people like it. But I bet most people only tolerate it, and are more forgiving of the gameplay because of the graphics and the big names attached to it.
Speak for yourself man. A lot of people couldn't care if it's on rails or not or if it's from a big company or not, as long as the game is fun.