★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Unable to find a good 2D/3D shoot'em up on iOS, I decided to program my own: "Shmup".

Built to be fun and gorgeous, its 3D engine was crafted with C, passion and a bit of assembly to deliver an incredible 60 frames per second on any platform.

Don't wait to rediscover the joy of a Dreamcast style shoot' em up !!

nicolasbol's comments:
Hello all,

Here is my last game, I crafted the 3D engine with C, passion and bit of assembly in order to have the thing run at 60frames per second.

It is a shoot' em up, the kind of game that I enjoy the most because they are instantly fun.

It was challenging to work on Shmup 3D engine because I really wanted to have the thing run at 60fps even on old hardware like iTouch 2nd Generation or new hardware with a lot of fillrate such as iPad. In the end I am pretty proud of the result and I hope some people will enjoy it:

SHMUP

Fabien
11-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Looks good like a good shmup, although from the screenshots it could definitely use some polish (menus and buttons for starters).

I'll try it out and post impressions in a bit.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind

11-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Game Impressions

Ok, there is definitely potential here, but it needs some serious work. As is, it feels more like a demo.

First, the good. Graphics and design of the units and things are excellent. And the game runs very smoothly on my Touch 3G. Good weapon and explosion effects as well.

Sadly, there are some issues, and a general lack of polish. But if the dev's can fix some of these, then this game has some huge potential.
  • No relative touch controls
  • joystick is floaty, and if your finger leaves the area, your ship zips away at speed
  • menus and buttons are lacking polish
  • obviously trying to imitate Ikaruga with white and black enemies, but no way to switch your ship from white, leaving the black ships very difficult (if not impossible) to destroy. This can result in some cheap deaths, and makes the game feel largely unfinished.
  • no leaderboards or achievements. Doesn't appear to be any scoring method either.
  • awkward 5-finger return to menu
  • no app resume, and no pause (that I've found)
  • ship hitbox isn't clear

11-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate you took the time to write all this.

I am definitely going to keep working on the game (I am finishing the multiplayer over WIFI version this week-end).

Quote:
No relative touch controls
I don't understand this one.

Quote:
joystick is floaty, and if your finger leaves the area, your ship zips away at speed
It is something I detected while playtesting too but I am unsure how to deal with this issue. An other thing that I tried (and addressed the issue mentionned) was to have the finger define a new center for the button when it is pressed so it avoids zip away speed.....but there was an issue if you started pressing too close to the screen, you had to lift the finger and press again. Maybe it would be preferable...I'll wait and see what other players think.

Quote:
menus and buttons are lacking polish
obviously trying to imitate Ikaruga with white and black enemies, but no way to switch your ship from white, leaving the black ships very difficult (if not impossible) to destroy. This can result in some cheap deaths, and makes the game feel largely unfinished.
I did not include a switch and the color blue/red system because this mecanism really belongs to Ikaruga. The black ships are voluntarily invincible, you have to find a way to dodge them...but there is ALWAYS a safe trick ( see the demo in the game).

About the buttons, it was a difficult choice: In order to run at 60fps I had to save fillrate and avoid using texture too much. I found that using a texture for the button was consuming a fair amount of CPU/GPU resources for no real reason (our fingers are constantly on the buttons). So I decided to use a plain color with a diamond shape.

The menu are a bit minimalistic, I'll rework them.

Quote:
no leaderboards or achievements. Doesn't appear to be any scoring method either.
This was also a choice, I find it meaningles to give players achievements and points. This is of course a personal opinion: Usually when I play I cannot care less about those.

Quote:
awkward 5-finger return to menu
Noted....but I couldn't find an elegant way. I tried to keep as little button as possible.

Quote:
no app resume, and no pause (that I've found)
Yep, I have to work on this.

Quote:
ship hitbox isn't clear
It's pretty much always like this...couldn't find a clever way to show it. But I can tell that it is always to the player's advantage.

Last edited by nicolasbol; 11-27-2010 at 05:54 PM.
11-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you're on top of things, and looking to improve the game.

By relative touch, I mean like do away with the joystick altogether, and have your ship move relative to the movement of your finger. This is similar to some of the well-known shmups in the app store, like Dodonpachi, Phoenix, Lightning Fighter, Super Laser, etc. Switching to (or making an option for) relative touch would allow you to do away with the joystick square, and add finer control over movement.

Instead of 5-finger menu, what about 3-finger? Far less awkward.

If you want to keep the minimal on-screen buttons for performance reasons, that's fine, but you can probably make them more clear without additional textures. For example, something like meter or a number % percentage showing the timer on your multi-shot would look better, and be easier to see the moment it's ready.

Don't worry too much about the hitbox. But if you like, you can always outline it in the tutorial or something.

And I mentioned leaderboards, mostly because the additional competitive aspect will draw a lot more players, as well as encourage multiple replays, giving your app a longer lifespan.

I hope that helps, and doesn't sound like I'm being too picky. You'll find that these forums are generally a good place to get feedback. Toss out a few promo codes to people if you need more impressions.

11-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
By relative touch, I mean like do away with the joystick altogether, and have your ship move relative to the movement of your finger. This is similar to some of the well-known shmups in the app store, like Dodonpachi, Phoenix, Lightning Fighter, Super Laser, etc. Switching to (or making an option for) relative touch would allow you to do away with the joystick square, and add finer control over movement.
totally agree with this... it might add to the challenge for some players to use a d-pad for movement of the ship... but for me (and I think most gamers who play shoot-em-up games...) it's just awkward, and pretty much unplayable.

The graphics are nice, reminds me of Icarus-X... and the framerate (even on my 8gig 2nd Gen) is great, with no lag at all.

There's a LOT of potential with this game, and it's great to hear that you're going to keep working on it!
11-30-2010, 11:48 AM
+ all points made by strivemind. I'm going to keep my eye on this. If it gets better controls and a few of the other features mentioned then I will pick it up.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
12-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Game Impressions

1.1 Update is out
Quote:
Control: User can now choose between "Swipe" and a "Virtual Pad", go to iPhone>Settings>Shmup to select. Swipe is the default control mode.

Multiplayer: The game now support two simultaneous collaborative players over WIFI.

GameCenter: Score are integrated to GameCenter leaderboard.

Sounds and Music: Can be disabled separately.

For all these options, go in the iPhone Settings screen and select "Shmup"
I have to say, the update is a huge improvement:
  • The game is now quite playable (and even enjoyable) with the touch controls.
  • And the UI looks better too, mostly since the white square joystick is gone.
  • Game Center integration is very welcome.
  • Haven't tried multiplayer yet, but sounds fun.

Couple of little buggy things here and there though. Like when touching a second finger, to fire your homing lasers, you'll occasionally stop shooting and are required to lift and reset your finger.

Now that I've gotten a little farther into the game (thanks to the controls) things get hard pretty fast. Not a problem, just a design decision. Will probably require some memorization to prepare for certain challenges

12-14-2010, 08:03 PM
FREAKING AWESOME!!! After I update and play, I'll be sure and re-write my app store review. =oD
12-14-2010, 08:51 PM
ha, nevermind... it requires OS 4.1...

and there's no way in hell I'm updating my OS just to play this...

please make it compatible with 4.0... actually... why the change?