★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iControll Pad 3.0

03-19-2009, 11:58 AM
iControll Pad 3.0

Please correct me if I am wrong or if this has already been posted but I believe that with the 3.0 software update it will be possible use the iControll Pad seeing as Apple have opened up the dock.
03-19-2009, 12:03 PM
i was thinking about this too. hopefully product manufacturers can agree on an industry standard for number of buttons, control sticks, bumpers, triggers etc. or else we might get lots of different types of controllers that only work with specific games.
03-19-2009, 12:04 PM
http://www.icontrolpad.com/

I'm jailbroken so I'll pick it up as soon as it comes out!
03-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
The problem with the iControlPad is that it isn't stock with any of the devices in the platform. It's an add-on. And as anyone who has lived through Sega CD, Sega 32X, Nintendo 64DD, and even something like the PS2's HDD (hard disk drive) knows, add ons are pretty much assured to never reach mass consumption, and as such will never be supported by the majority of the market.

In other words, if it ain't built in, not everyone is going to have it, and if everyone doesn't have it, then the majority of developers won't support it. Why? Simple: why spend time and effort (which = money) supporting a peripheral that the majority of the consumer base doesn't own or use?

Hopefully some devs support it...but don't count on the majority of devs doing so. Why bother?
I know what you mean, I've had more than my share of worthless addons, but I don't the iControlpad really compares to those. It's just a controller that can be added on, it isn't as though they have to develop exclusively for it.

Just look at non-"built in" PC controllers. Sure the mouse and keyboard are standard these days, but plenty of games support joysticks, gamepads, flight yokes, steering wheels & pedals, etc. I don't see this being any different. Games like Sway won't support it, but I don't see any reason a game like Bike or Die couldn't with minimal effort by the developer.

For people with jailbroken devices who play emulators, it's a no-brainer. Not only will it provide more authentic controllers, but it'll also let them speed up the framerate by disabling the touchscreen.
03-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
And as anyone who has lived through Sega CD, Sega 32X, Nintendo 64DD, and even something like the PS2's HDD (hard disk drive) knows, add ons are pretty much assured to never reach mass consumption, and as such will never be supported by the majority of the market.
You can say that again. My Sega Genesis + Sega CD + 32X was a console frankenstein of which I owned quite literally one game for.