★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Apples rating system.

03-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Send a message via MSN to Forerunnerz
Apples rating system.

Something needs to be done with the kiddy submission system for the AppStore, the AppStore isn't flooded with 10 year olds yet lots of rated T and all of the rated M games are getting rejected. Seriously? I know that over 80% of people in the AppStore like more mature-oriented games.

I'm 13 and I like playing games with gore. What's going to happen when a developer makes an awesome FPS resembling Halo(FPS), CoD(FPS), or Gears(3PS)? I know what some of you might be thinking.. "Those are all next gen games, you can't compare them!" I have seen a Halo on the DS(never released) that played similar to Halo 2 so don't say that it isn't possible.

It was a HUGE letdown for me to hear that Hill Billy was rejected. It a game like Hill Billy that I wanted to see on the iPhone, no matter how dumb the idea of the game may be(Really dumb, E.G: Demented rabbits, saving carrots) I was really looking forward to it. It would of been the first 3D game to have nice amount of gore.

Imagine Gears of War without blood, or any other FPS/3PS. Takes out realism by at least 70%.

Apple's review system needs to be changed. Games intended for older gamers sell more than 2 times better.

PS: Anyone know if Brothers in Arms had blood in it?

Currently playing: TouchKO, Castle of Magic, and Resident Evil 4.
Plus+ gamername: Forerunnerz
03-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forerunnerz View Post
Something needs to be done with the kiddy submission system for the AppStore, the AppStore isn't flooded with 10 year olds yet lots of rated T and all of the rated M games are getting rejected. Seriously? I know that over 80% of people in the AppStore like more mature-oriented games.

I'm 13 and I like playing games with gore. What's going to happen when a developer makes an awesome FPS resembling Halo(FPS), CoD(FPS), or Gears(3PS)? I know what some of you might be thinking.. "Those are all next gen games, you can't compare them!" I have seen a Halo on the DS(never released) that played similar to Halo 2 so don't say that it isn't possible.

It was a HUGE letdown for me to hear that Hill Billy was rejected. It a game like Hill Billy that I wanted to see on the iPhone, no matter how dumb the idea of the game may be(Really dumb, E.G: Demented rabbits, saving carrots) I was really looking forward to it. It would of been the first 3D game to have nice amount of gore.

Imagine Gears of War without blood, or any other FPS/3PS. Takes out realism by at least 70%.

Apple's review system needs to be changed. Games intended for older gamers sell more than 2 times better.

PS: Anyone know if Brothers in Arms had blood in it?
What happens? The Cydia store begins to take off.

Also, 13 year old shouldn't be playing M-Rated games. Mind you Halo is OK 'cause I don't really know why its rated M, but Gears of War? I only started playing that when I turned 16.

03-19-2009, 02:00 PM
It's no secret that Apple has stringent rules when it comes to what is and isn't acceptable on the App Store. I really have to question the logic of developers who knowingly spend time developing games that they know Apple is going to find objectionable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazilian Rider View Post
If/when the Cydia store ever takes off, they will be slapped with a C&D and every available lawsuit the Apple legal team can think of to protect their 30% cut in app sales. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fairly naive.
03-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazilian Rider View Post

Also, 13 year old shouldn't be playing M-Rated games. Mind you Halo is OK 'cause I don't really know why its rated M, but Gears of War? I only started playing that when I turned 16.
We can play what we want, when we want. If your under age, then it's your parents decision. Technically you shouldn't be playing them either because your supposed to be 18.

I agree Apple rejecting stuff for being "mature" is stupid.
03-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Brothers in arms doesen't have any Blood ().
03-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson. View Post
We can play what we want, when we want. If your under age, then it's your parents decision. Technically you shouldn't be playing them either because your supposed to be 18.

Key words are: WHEN I WAS 16.

I'm now 19. Just turned 19 last month!
03-19-2009, 02:06 PM
The "problem" is the ease at which ANYONE can buy an app off of the app store. An eleven year old can navigate to any questionable content, and in two taps have it downloaded on the device. Apple doesn't want to be responsible if parents find mature rated games on iDevices. Apple could add a mature section to the app store that would act like the explicit songs, and could be filtered.
03-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Send a message via MSN to Forerunnerz
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson. View Post
We can play what we want, when we want. If your under age, then it's your parents decision.

Exactly, and I can understand games with sexual type of content on it not being appropriate for 13 year olds but I don't really care for violence. What's wrong with gore? Go watch some WWII videos or some of the things that are currently happening in the world, they are filled with gore but are important things. If you are restricted from looking at blood until 16, then your gonna freak when you start bleeding, or see someone else bleeding while under 16.

I know tons of 8 year olds FFS that play Gears. 13 is underaged? Majority of Gears gamers are in their teens and the majority of teens on them are 13-16 years old.

EDIT2Coral: Not trying to flame you in any way and not trying to be offensive:

I know tons of people over 9 that play games with gore, some even play games with more explicit content than I play. Parents these days don't care if there kids watch gore and violence, They care if there kids are like 9 or smaller. Also what 11 year old would have an iPhone? There are also ratings in the AppStore and passwords. If parents have control of the passwords, they can easily control what content there kids play.

Currently playing: TouchKO, Castle of Magic, and Resident Evil 4.
Plus+ gamername: Forerunnerz

Last edited by Forerunnerz; 03-19-2009 at 02:20 PM.
03-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
The "problem" is the ease at which ANYONE can buy an app off of the app store. An eleven year old can navigate to any questionable content, and in two taps have it downloaded on the device. Apple doesn't want to be responsible if parents find mature rated games on iDevices. Apple could add a mature section to the app store that would act like the explicit songs, and could be filtered.
If that happened then it would be the parents fault for having a credit card on the account and allowing there irresponsible eleven year old child to know the password to the account.
03-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Rating system ftw.

Have an age requirement for games.