★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: iBots for iPad

11-29-2010, 09:22 PM
iBots for iPad

Hi all,

Back in 2007 I wrote a JavaScript web app called iBots for the original iPhone. I thought it would be a good time to turn it into an App and spice it up. It is now in the AppStore for .99 cents.

iBots is a turn-based strategy game. You play as an astronaut who has crash landed on the iBots planet - a planet of machines. The iBots will chase you through a randomly generated maze. You must try to survive the waves by tricking the iBots into running into the walls or into each other. Power-ups will appear to help you defeat the iBots and coins can be collected to increase your overall score.

iBots fully supports Apple's Game Center with 5 leaderboards and 30 achievements.

For more information, screenshots and a link to the App in iTunes visit the homepage here.

- Les
11-30-2010, 11:37 AM

11-30-2010, 01:29 PM
fixed

Added link to web version:

http://www.lesbird.com/iPhone/iBots/default.html

You are not pretty enough to be that stupid.
01-08-2011, 02:43 PM
iBots for iPad free weekend

Hi All,

Just thought I'd mention that iBots for the iPad is free for the weekend (until Jan 10). Now is a good time to give it a try and get on the leaderboards.

- Les
01-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Cute little game. It's basically a variation on the ancient Robots game, which has had tons of variations over the years -- probably the most remembered being the Dr. Who-themed Daleks. It's a turn-based avoidance game where you have to try and lead robots to their destruction by making them crash into themselves or, when they're angry, walls, while collecting cash (which is only used for score). A number of different powerups appear randomly at times and help you deal with the robots or boost your score; EMP blasts (destroys robots), bombs (destroys robots and walls), blocks (which build one wall) and so on. There's also a teleport button that can be used freely, though overuse can turn it red, which means your next teleport could be risky and may land you in a wall, killing you.

It's a fairly simple affair. Graphics are decent, effects are function. It's nothing spectacular, but it's a fun little game.

EDIT: Looks like the game crashed on me, and I lost all of my progress -- 80,000 points, just broke 100 wins. Apparently it doesn't save state on crash. Not cool.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko

Last edited by Mindfield; 01-08-2011 at 04:40 PM.
01-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Hey Mindfield, what were you doing at the time of the crash so I can try to track it down? Sorry that you lost your progress.

And thanks for the positive comments about the game.

- Les
01-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesbird View Post
Hey Mindfield, what were you doing at the time of the crash so I can try to track it down? Sorry that you lost your progress.

And thanks for the positive comments about the game.

- Les
I wasn't doing anything in particular, it was right in the middle of a level. I moved, it crashed. I'd played over 100 levels straight though, with no other apps loaded, so it seemed like maybe it was a small leak; I just played so long that the (presumed) leak ate the last of the available RAM.

Also, while it will resume if you exit the app (OS 4+), your game is forfeit if you kill the task, which is also not cool. Kinda killed my desire to play, actually, as I really don't want to go for one long marathon session. Although that does bring up the question: Is it possible to lose the game entirely, other than quitting?

Last edited by Mindfield; 01-08-2011 at 09:43 PM.
01-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
I wasn't doing anything in particular, it was right in the middle of a level. I moved, it crashed. I'd played over 100 levels straight though, with no other apps loaded, so it seemed like maybe it was a small leak; I just played so long that the (presumed) leak ate the last of the available RAM.

Also, while it will resume if you exit the app (OS 4+), your game is forfeit if you kill the task, which is also not cool. Kinda killed my desire to play, actually, as I really don't want to go for one long marathon session. Although that does bring up the question: Is it possible to lose the game entirely, other than quitting?
I suspect the problem might be in the particles. Those are the only objects that are dynamically allocated and freed when playing the game. All other objects are statically allocated.

I haven't fixed the problem but I did change when the game gets saved. It is now saved at the end of each game, win or loss. This should prevent players from losing their game progress in the event of a crash.

On a side note, I did test terminating the app (OS 4) as you mentioned and it did indeed save the game properly. I'm guessing you are talking about terminating the app from the multitasking app list when you double click the home button? So yeah, that should be working.

The update is "In Review" as I write this so hopefully by end of day it should be live.

- Les
01-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Quote:
I suspect the problem might be in the particles. Those are the only objects that are dynamically allocated and freed when playing the game. All other objects are statically allocated.
Quote:
That would make sense then, if that is indeed the problem, maybe a particle array not freeing up all elements or something. I dunno; it took a long time for it to happen so whatever it is doesn't eat much.

I haven't fixed the problem but I did change when the game gets saved. It is now saved at the end of each game, win or loss. This should prevent players from losing their game progress in the event of a crash.

On a side note, I did test terminating the app (OS 4) as you mentioned and it did indeed save the game properly. I'm guessing you are talking about terminating the app from the multitasking app list when you double click the home button? So yeah, that should be working.

The update is "In Review" as I write this so hopefully by end of day it should be live.

- Les
That sounds great. Yes, I was talking about when you terminate the app from the task list. When I did so it started over. Good to hear that won't happen, and I'll look forward to the update.

01-25-2011, 03:12 PM
iBots Time Bubbles - Waiting for review

Hi all,

Continuing with the iBots theme, I've submitted my 2nd game to the App Store. Currently it's "Waiting for review" so I'll post another message when it's approved and ready for sale. The game is called "iBots Time Bubbles" and is basically a bubble shooter game where you are freeing the captured space travelers from their frozen time bubbles. For more details visit the official page at the following link:

http://lesbird.com/iBotsBubbles/default.html

- Les