★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Watch life evolve in the palm of your hand! Oddly hypnotic and relaxing, Artificial Life is a simulation of the growth and evolution of microorganisms - basically artificial life forms. Initially, each organism is given a random set of rules governing its behavior. If the rules end up being useful for survival, the organism may live long enough to mate with another organism and pass its genetic code on to some offspring.

Over time, the organisms with the most useful behaviors will pass on their genetic code, leading to interesting patterns of behavior unfolding before your eyes - flocking behaviors, solitary predatory tactics, scavenging, and hiding are some examples - and all this behavior is evolving from total randomness.

Two modes of play!

* Sandbox Simulation

* Survival.

In Sandbox Mode, you can adjust environmental factors as well as the chromosomes defining the behavior of individual protozoa. There is no overall goal in Sandbox mode, other than to enjoy watching life evolve over time.

In Survival mode, you get to test your own custom protozoa against a random population. See if you can do better than natural selection. The goal is to have your protozoa survive as long as possible. The simulation ends when your custom protozoa dies.

* Double-tap the screen to select an individual protozoa.

* Pan and zoom using using touch and pinch gestures to explore this virtual world.

And, if you don't like how some of the organisms are behaving, you can always resort to the finger of death and destroy that which displeases you.

Queue up some music with your iPod app and then launch this app for some relaxing times in the microscopic world of Artificial Life.

You can read more about the app and view a video demonstration at:

Thank you all for the feedback! It is appreciated. As time and practicality permits, more suggestions will be incorporated into newer updates. You've all suggested lots of great ideas!

** The Science Behind the Simulation **
This app was inspired by the computer science technique known as Genetic Algorithms. The idea behind genetic algorithms is to apply evolutionary techniques such as inheritance, mutation, and selection to computing problems. I thought, why not go full circle and apply these techniques to a basic biology simulation? This app reflects one such attempt. I hope you enjoy it!

zackwilder118's comments:
itunes link

This simulator is just so much fun to watch. Anyone else have this game?
11-30-2010, 06:44 PM
I do, and I've always considered posting about it, but figured it wasn't really much of a game.

That being said, I love it. It's very fun to spend some time watching them swim about.

plus+: Collokey
"Words/Chess With Friends": Collokey

Last edited by magihiro; 12-01-2010 at 01:01 AM.

12-01-2010, 12:57 AM

thanks to you guys I downloaded the HD version of this...

Suddenly an hour of my life was gone!

Can't stop watching

Flangle Flangle Flangle Play No More!
12-01-2010, 01:01 AM
looks good, not sure if i wana drop a dollar on it tho....

I own and manage iTouchAppReviewers. We have a YouTube. I am a beta tester.
Twitter: @iTouchAppReview GameCenter: Slimothy OpenFeint: SLMGamer4G
Downloaded: 12,000+ apps Beta-tested: Over 100 apps
12-01-2010, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by slimothy View Post
looks good, not sure if i wana drop a dollar on it tho....
It's definitely one of those games that won't appeal to everyone. Mostly because it's not really a game, as much as something you watch and can effect. But, that being said, I personally think it's worth about 3$

plus+: Collokey
"Words/Chess With Friends": Collokey
12-01-2010, 03:39 AM
Great programm - sometimes I fire it up in the evening and let them evolve until the next morning - quite impressing what can happen over night (once I had nearly only one species left - which was the 'best').
12-01-2010, 03:41 AM
Might check this game out. Looks like people are saying the dev was good. Sweet!
12-01-2010, 03:40 PM
what's your guys' records on survival mode? mine's running right now, but as far as i can tell, he's not gonna die any time soon, and he's not even using any rules beyond 2 and 3

1. if sun is closer than 40 units avoid the sun: obviously you don't want to die to it. 40 units is a tad too big. next try i'm gonna lower to may be 30 or 20

2. if closest predator is closer than 25 units, avoid the closest predator: this rule kicks in waaayyyyyy too often since i set the radius much too large. also, this isn't even a primary concern since randomly generated protozoa rarely have relevant 'attack' genes. next time, this is getting a huge radius shrink and knocked down a few levels.

3. if the nearest food is less than 100 units away, eat food: this is another much too big radius. It's true that eating food can't really ever be bad, but it completely overshadows the rest of the genes below it.

As far as I can tell, this guy can't die, but he never reproduces or attacks either, just run away from what can hurt him and eat.

If anyone has any tips or noticed anything cool, post away! I think i'm going to try one that has a 'find a mate' rule very high up and see if i can't get most of the world to be my relative.
12-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Kinda reminds me of Floy Fantasy by the pics. Floy Fantasy looks really good and is really neat to play with.
12-02-2010, 02:43 PM

Hi, I'm the developer for the Artificial Life app. Thanks for the kind words regarding it. It's nice to hear people are enjoying it.

It's admittedly a niche app that won't appeal to everyone as it's not very "hands-on" as far as games go, but it's definitely a time-killer for those who like it.

There are still plans for new features as I have time to add them. If you have any requests, send some feedback my way. There's obviously no guarantee I can address all the ideas people have, but I definitely take to heart things people suggest.

The main discouraging thing for me, as an indie developer, is the amount of piracy involved in apps, especially for something that only costs a dollar. On Nov. 29th, the day before this thread started, someone had posted the .ipa for Artificial Life to one of the app piracy sites. My app only sells a handful of copies a day on iTunes, so when I saw an increase in the daily usage statistics for the app jump from 50 daily users to over 2000, I thought maybe I had a lot more sales due to this TouchArcade thread. Sadly, my daily sales only increased from 5 copies per day to about 20. The rest of the daily usage was from the pirates. :-(

Don't get me wrong, having my sales increase by 4 times is great (from 5 copies to 20). I'm thankful to those of you who read this thread and decided to buy a copy of my app. It's just discouraging learning that several thousand other people stole my app during this same time.

Last edited by MostTornBrain; 12-02-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: (clarified the details regarding piracy)