★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Lemur Software
  • Genre: Kids
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 30.1 MB
  • Version: 2.3
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: "How good would it be if you could play with Lego wherever you are, without having to carry around the little bricks? That dream is now a reality thanks to the new iPhone app Bricasso." - Gizmodo, December 2010

"I had strong doubts about how well this could actually work, but I couldn't have been more wrong. The interface and controls are simply flawless. If the idea of having the chance to play with lego-like building blocks on your iDevice holds any appeal at all, don't hesitate for a second to pick this up." - Gabrien, TouchArcade

Featuring a beautifully intuitive interface that really captures the feel of building with toy bricks, you'll be letting your imagination run wild in seconds. There's no complicated controls or cameras to get the hang of, just a simple drag and drop interface that perfectly recreates the feeling of building the real thing.

If you like the sound of a portable box of bricks that you can build with anywhere, anytime, then what are you waiting for - get Bricasso!

Features:
One of the most intuitive interfaces ever seen for building with virtual bricks.
Nine colourful background scenes to inspire you.
Dozens of authentic colours to choose from.
Dozens of brick types to play with; bricks, plates, wheels, cylinders, slopes and tiles are all here!
In game tutorial explaining everything you need to know about Bricasso in a few simple lines.
Share your creations with others using the easy-to-use screenshot option.
12-01-2010, 02:35 AM
Game Impressions

I had strong doubts about how well this could actually work, but I couldn't have been more wrong. The interface and controls are simply flawless. If the idea of having the chance to play with lego-like building blocks on your iDevice holds any appeal at all, don't hesitate for a second to pick this up.

About the only criticism I can throw at this is that it could have looked prettier. In fact, I suspect that that's likely to cost it a few sales. Seriously though, don't judge this by its screen shots. It's an accomplishment in UI design of the highest order if nothing else, and as for fun, well, that depends entirely on how much fun you see yourself being able to have playing with legos.

Last edited by NotYou; 12-01-2010 at 06:15 PM.

12-01-2010, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
I had strong doubts about how well this could actually work, but I couldn't have been more wrong. The interface and controls are simply flawless. If the idea of having the chance to play with lego-like building blocks on your iDevice holds any appeal at all, don't hesitate for a second to pick this up.

About the only criticism I can throw at this is that it could have looked prettier. In fact, I suspect that that's likely to cost it a few sales. Seriously though, don't judge this by its screen shots. It's an accomplishment in UI design of the highest order if nothing else, and as for fun, well, that depends entirely on how much fun you see yourself being able to have playing with legos.
Very positive game impressions with a thumbs-down icon?

I'm picking this up right away, though. This looks fun.

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。
12-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Hi guys,

Wow, it's been a while since I've seen one of my games discussed on TouchArcade!

I'm really pleased to hear you like the interface - my number one priority was to create something that was fun and Lego-like to use, and the feedback I'm getting is that I've succeeded!

It looks a lot nicer with anti-aliasing of course, but the frame rate hit meant it lost that really nice fluid feel to the GUI. I've got an update coming with iPad support and a different rendering path for iPhone 4 which looks nice and clean!

I'd also be interested to know whether you guys would prefer a load/save option? I left it out in the interest of encouraging people to build something fresh and new each time, but the load/save work has been done and if people want it I'll include it in the update.

Thanks for the support, and please keep the feedback coming!

Cheers,

Wade

Lemur Software
12-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Before buying this there's something I want to know: how big creations can I make? Can I zoom in and out to look at it?
12-01-2010, 07:52 AM
I just bought this now on a whim... and I can't remember the last time I was so pleasantly surprised by a random purchase! It really feels like playing with Legos! I actually uttered aloud "this is awesome" when i placed my first brick. I'll need more time to identify any issues. I would like more neutral backgrounds to work in front of... and definitely more piece types. Also the ability to change a brick color after placement would be nice.

And Wade, I think a load/save option is crucial.

Amazing work! I'll leave you a 5 star review on iTunes later today to help encourage others to try. This is a true hidden gem.

↪ GameCenter : Igoo
12-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Yes, saving is absolutely necessary due to the nature of iPhone gaming. Both manual as well as automatic on exit.
12-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Qurao:

The iPhone/iPod version of the game supports up to a 12x12 grid, with the game automatically zooming so that your model fills the screen. The iPad version supports much bigger grids baseplates (exactly how big hasn't been finalised yet).

If you're looking to build huge models, I'm afraid Bricasso probably won't cut it for you... yet. One of the tradeoffs for keeping the GUI so clean and simple was restricting the size of the baseplate so that the whole thing could be seen at a useful size. It's hard to explain without seeing the way the 'swoosh' for brick placement happens.

Igoo

I agree with you on the neutral backgrounds; in fact that's how Bricasso started out! I'll put something in place in the update.

I've had a few discussions regarding the save/load and why I chose to leave it out, but I've since been convinced otherwise so it will be included.

As for changing the colour of an already placed brick, how about if I set it up so that pressing the paint can whilst touching a brick let you choose a new colour?

And yes, more piece/part types are coming. If you've got any special requests point me to a picture of the piece and I'll include it (providing there's no technical reason that would make the piece tricky).

Thanks again for the feeedback guys!

Lemur Software
12-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Well now that's cool.

Currently Enjoying: BUG HEROES 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Ninny speaks the truth.
12-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Yes, saving is absolutely necessary due to the nature of iPhone gaming. Both manual as well as automatic on exit.
The not saving automatically on exit was actually one of those 'doh' bugs I only realised had been introduced a few days after submission. It's already been corrected of course, but I am sorry about that.

Lemur Software