★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Auto Mangle Huge Drop!!

10-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Auto Mangle Huge Drop!!

Its a car shooting racing type game
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=293736180&mt=8

Done from 8 bucks to 2
Heres a video of the game play although the quality kinda sucks]
http://www.phartgames.com/
just wondering what you guys think, is it worth the 2 bucks
10-25-2008, 10:16 AM
I just got it and tried it out. I assuming the dev is going to read this, he was in the other thread.

The game has some real potential, but right now it seem to have some serious control issues. I tried one car and it slid back and forth. I tried another and it hardly steered. I'd turn my phone and the car wouldn't turn for a few seconds. When it did, it almost turned all the way around.

I think it can fixed. There's a message in the game that says you only have to turn the phone about 10 degrees. I think that might be the whole problem right there.

I was right about the Twisted Metal thing. It's very similar to the first one. The graphics seem simple, but you don't notice during the game. The explosions and guns are nice too.

Fix the steering and I think this will be a fun game. It drives a little sluggish too. Those are my two suggestions: fix the steering and speed it up the acceleration of the cars a bit. After that, I think this will really be something good.

I really forward to the updates. I'll be following this one for sure.

Last edited by NotYou; 10-25-2008 at 10:18 AM.

10-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
I just got it and tried it out. I assuming the dev is going to read this, he was in the other thread.

The game has some real potential, but right now it seem to have some serious control issues. I tried one car and it slid back and forth. I tried another and it hardly steered. I'd turn my phone and the car wouldn't turn for a few seconds. When it did, it almost turned all the way around.

I think it can fixed. There's a message in the game that says you only have to turn the phone about 10 degrees. I think that might be the whole problem right there.

I was right about the Twisted Metal thing. It's very similar to the first one. The graphics seem simple, but you don't notice during the game. The explosions and guns are nice too.

Fix the steering and I think this will be a fun game. It drives a little sluggish too. Those are my two suggestions: fix the steering and speed it up the acceleration of the cars a bit. After that, I think this will really be something good.

I really forward to the updates. I'll be following this one for sure.
Thanks for the advice, i picked it up but havent had a chance to play it ill post what i think later on.
10-25-2008, 11:16 AM
merry Xmas

thanks for the suggestions notyou.

Impretty sure I've addressed the steering issues in 1.0.1, 1.0 had no lock on the steering so if you turn too far the car will slide on it's front wheels. A tip for driving is drive it like a real car, if you turn full lock and mash the pedal you lose all the weight on the front wheels and therefore all the grip. You should find that if you give it a couple of taps to get going, then turn you will turn no worries, then if you continue to accelerate while tuning the back wheels will slip an you will spin around. So in summary, if you want to do nice regular turns don't hold accelerator the whole time.

Thanks for supporting Automangle
10-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Send a message via AIM to Magnulus Send a message via Skype™ to Magnulus
Looking forward to that update, because the steering IS difficult. I tried not accelerating all the time, but it's still very hard to avoid the spin. What needs to be taken into account when balancing realism with ease of control is exactly what you want the game to be about. In Gran Turismo, the controls and physics are pretty realistic. However, even there they don't have fully realistic controls. In games like Burnout and Stunt Driver the controls are very different. The cars are much more easily maneuverable at high speeds, simply because the games set out to do different things.

When I play a game where I need to crash into things at high speed, I'd prefer to have unrealistically good control over my car than a realistic driving experience.

Other than that, though, the game shows a lot of promise. I'd love to see the damage having a more noticeable graphical effect, like in the original DD when the hood would start flapping around after a few front collisions.
10-25-2008, 01:53 PM
I may buy this game based solely on the developers name.
10-25-2008, 04:03 PM
I haven't gotten the game yet, but since many first impressions are based on screenshots, a graphical fixup might get you more noticed. In the end, it's gameplay that keeps you coming back to playing the game, but good visuals are definately a selling point for attracting buyers, especially when all they have to go on is screenshots. Now keep in mind that I have no idea what goes into programming a 3D game, and it's probably extremely difficult, but it's just something to consider.
10-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Send a message via AIM to Magnulus Send a message via Skype™ to Magnulus
While I think that the graphics work well in-game, I do agree that the screenshots are a little bit off-putting. I think what does it is the seeming lack of texturing of any kind. It works in motion, but not so well in-game. I don't know what kind of performance trouble this would bring, but could the colour choices be applied to a basic texture with some go-faster stripes or other stylings. Perhaps not even that, but a kind of grime-texture to make the cars look a little dirtier.
10-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Yes, the vehicle graphics are pretty basic, this is mostly for performance reasons, however i can touch up the textures a bit to make them look more racy

I will probably add a traction control option for the next update so if you want you can get around alot easier.

Thanks for the feedback, it helps a lot.
10-25-2008, 04:56 PM
I'll pick this up at the new price to help support the game. I agree with the others that something needs to be done with the graphics to help sales, as even if it works in gameplay, that's not what buyers see from the screenshot in iTunes.

So I suppose anyone that buys it should write a review clearly saying that the gameplay blends well with the graphics. Also, was there much description to the app? I recall in a different thread someone said none, and then the developer posted in the forum cool features like setting the health level of cars that changes the gameplay, also being able to turn off weapons, etc. That should be posted there, and some coming soon info so people consider upcoming fixes when writing their reviews, as sometimes the first negative reviews get stuck on the first page.

I hope the $2 price helps boost sales to then reinvest into updating the game, which as it matures, raise the price a bit.

I need to see the video again, but does the game lend itself to being able to have ramps, drops, hills and let the cars roll, sort of like the PS1 Destruction Derby?

EDIT: Just bought, will try it soon.