Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-01-2010, 06:39 PM

Default Age of Trains (by Amazing Games)

UPDATES
2010.12.30: Screenshots and info about the strategic map

2010.12.19: Screenshots and info about the historic campaigns

2010.12.14: Screenshot and historic CAMPAIGNS and Great Leaders introduced

2010.12.06: SANDBOX train simulator mode explained

Hi there,

Some of you might have heard bits and pieces of a train game called Railroad Revolution last year. Development is now nearing completion, and it has got a real name - Age of Trains - so I thought this would be a good opportunity to let you see - for the very first time - Age of Trains running on an iPad.

I have been running a small indie game studio for fifteen years now, but this is my largest project ever - I have been actively developing this game ever since the AppStore was announced some 2 1/2 years ago.

Age of Train is a) part sandbox historic train simulator and b) part lighthearted strategy with historic campaigns, exploration, research, development, management and great leaders... but to make it easy for casual players and people on the go, the game has got a very casual friendly structure. I will be happy to elaborate more on the game itself and show you more pics and movies soon, but right now - please enjoy the attached images.

Best regards,
Sven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AoT-Roundhouse1.jpg (351.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg AoT-Roundhouse2.jpg (325.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg AoT-Roundhouse3.jpg (383.0 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by ChezDoodles; 12-30-2010 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: Added links to developer updates
Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

oooh... this looks great..
This is going on my buylist, when it comes out.
Would it be still this year?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM
iPad (3rd Gen)

elaborate more! or perhaps! a video clip speaks a whole chapter of a book!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:15 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

any update on this?
Old 12-06-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pka4916 View Post
any update on this?
Thanks for your interest. There is coming more pics later this week, but I can tell you a little bit more about the "sandbox train simulator". So...

SANDBOX TRAIN SIMULATOR

Your playground is a 1860 version of the United States. You start out with some of the east-coast States unlocked and ready to play. Additional States will be unlocked as you complete missions and campaigns in the "strategy" mode. These new States will bring add new features and opportunities, like terrain (deserts, rivers, mountains, valleys, etc), cities, etc.

You are free to build new railroads pretty much any way you want - sort of like in Sid Meier's Railroads! But unlike Sid Meier's Railroads!, the gameplay in Age of Trains is not focused on building an economic empire. Instead, it is about building the best, the coolest and the most fun railroad network you can imagine. There are almost no constrains on economics. You can build expensive bridges and tunnels - there is no economics holding you back.

Instead, you are ranked against other players in a range of other metrics - like having the longest bridge, climbing the highest mountain, connecting the most cities, transporting the highest number of passengers and goods, having the fastest route between various destinations, etc.

So, if you want to hold on the speed record coast-to-coast between New York and San Francisco, you better do some real planning to find the most efficient route on the map - since we are talking about a semi-realistic portrait of the real terrain features and these locomotives have parameters like top speed, acceleration, number of cars attached, climb-rates, etc. Should you favor a locomotive which can pull strong through the Rocky Mountains, or should you use a locomotive with high top speed on flat terrain? If you connect a large number of cities, the train will have to stop often - but you will transport more passengers and goods. If you add a bunch of locomotives to a line, it looks cool, but safety will require the locomotives to stop and wait more often - not cool if you are chasing a speed record...

So - you have all the toys at your disposal. If you have invented the telegraph, you can run more trains on a railroad line with less safety distance. If you have invented airbrakes, you can more rapidly decent and the trains can slow down closer to the stations, tunnels, curves and bridges. If you have invented the dynamite explosives, you can build long tunnels.

SO WHAT IS HOLDING YOU BACK, is what tech is available to you, what States you have unlocked and which locomotives you have unlocked. And to unlock these babies, you have to play the campaigns and the missions ... which brings me over to the "strategy" game play mode...

(but not now, I will get back soon about this)

Thank you for reading up about this game. It has been my baby for so long, it is kind of scary soon releasing it into the wild :)
Old 12-06-2010, 02:05 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Been waiting for this all year, glad to know that it's not cancelled, Please keep posting, do u think it will be released early next year?.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:55 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

1 word... AWESOME!!!

Now a release date, and it's an instant buy
Old 12-06-2010, 03:14 PM

Wow, those screenshots look truly lovely! Sounds very interesting. (I love sandbox games and sims!) Definitely keeping this one on my radar.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:36 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Love trains, and can't wait to lay some tracks on my iPad. Please keep updating us on this game - definitely on my wish list !

Last edited by quebecotr; 12-07-2010 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Banned

Yeah, it's on my wishlist too)