★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pixelcross any good?

10-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Pixelcross any good?

Looks quite polished, anyone try it yet?
10-25-2008, 05:40 PM
I am also interested to hear feedback from anyone who has used this app.

It looks like they are Hanjie (Japanese picture puzzles, also known by lots of other names).

Specifically I would like to know:
1) In the screenshot examples shown on iTunes the images are all symetrical. Is this the case in the game? Are all the images symetrical? (I hate that because then they are too easy to solve as you can guess at least half of the image...)
2) Game description says 180 puzzles are included. How many puzzles are included for each level? Lots of easy ones and only a few hard ones, etc.
3) Are the puzzles stored on the iphone/touch or does the program need to access a website?

Last edited by snow_mani; 10-25-2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: To clarify point 2.

10-25-2008, 10:14 PM
I just played this game yesterday on my fd's iphone, its was so addictive!!
I found there are 45 puzzles in each size, I played 1x puzzles only, so i cannot tell u that all images are symetrical or not, only found one image is symetrical.
Puzzles are stored on the device already, and the most I appreciated is that the control is very convenient to many board games.
10-25-2008, 11:54 PM
The game is pretty good. It plays exactly like Picross DS except for a couple of things - There's no mood music and there's no time limit or penalty for guessing incorrectly. Also, I'm hoping that the developer will add a level creator so we can download and share each others puzzles. They may seem like small complaints, but I've become so spoiled by the DS version. It's a great effort though and I'm sure it will be updated.
10-26-2008, 09:55 AM
This is a really good game, the controls seem smooth and i think the graphics arejust right not too crappy but not too extravagant
10-26-2008, 10:45 AM
I do like this game a lot, and is a good replacement for Picross on my DS (which hasn't been out of it's case in 2 months!)
However, a lot of the puzzles are symmetrical, meaning you will often find what's on the left of the puzzle is the same on the right but reversed. It starts to get more difficult about half way through. The first ones are ideal for beginners, but if you are used to the game it is a chore to get through them.
It is very well made however, and seems quite polished. I like that you can drag over the squares to fill them in instead of having to tap each square. Larger puzzles that are bigger than the screen are handled well. You have buttons on the side for movement around the puzzle and to zoom (at 4 zoom settings from what I remember), and if the numbers are off the screen, tap a place on the puzzle and the numbers for that area will appear over the left and top sides of the screen (just like picross on DS).
It is worth buying if you like Picross. Just be prepared for a few tedious puzzles till you get to the more challenging later ones. I would love to have a puzzle of the day for each size, as once you have done them all, there won't be a lot to keep you coming back.
10-26-2008, 02:21 PM
I second the daily puzzle idea. If he added that I would buy this in a heartbeat!