★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why are the full screen ads such a high resolution?

12-02-2010, 11:41 AM
#1
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,741
Why are the full screen ads such a high resolution?

It seems odd to me they'd be so big, since I'm guessing a decent number of people that visit the front page use a regular 13-inch Macbook (being 1280x800, which isn't particularly small anyway) and half of the image gets cut off at both sides.

I've noticed it with a few of them now. I wanted to see CNET's comment on iSlash and had to right-click and "View Background Image" to view the whole thing.

  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
12-02-2010, 01:19 PM
#2
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
It seems odd to me they'd be so big, since I'm guessing a decent number of people that visit the front page use a regular 13-inch Macbook (being 1280x800, which isn't particularly small anyway) and half of the image gets cut off at both sides.

I've noticed it with a few of them now. I wanted to see CNET's comment on iSlash and had to right-click and "View Background Image" to view the whole thing.
Same reason why the volume of commercials on TV are substantially louder than the show you're viewing, to blast you with marketing.

12-02-2010, 01:20 PM
#3
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,280
also to accomodate 30 inch screen users....not everyone uses a macbook pro so.

You are not pretty enough to be that stupid.
12-02-2010, 01:39 PM
#4
Joined: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,268,692
We don't design the site skins, we merely give advertisers the template for them to design their ad campaigns around.
12-02-2010, 04:04 PM
#5
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 437
1920x1080 for me so they are fine. I don't like the ads, let me rephrase that, I HATE THEM, but it's not up to me so I guess I'll deal with them.
12-02-2010, 05:19 PM
#6
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino View Post
1920x1080 for me so they are fine. I don't like the ads, let me rephrase that, I HATE THEM, but it's not up to me so I guess I'll deal with them.
Hey man, great guys/gals like Hoddap and Arn wouldn't be here if it weren't for those ads, I guess.

www.oneclickmac.com - News, Reviews and Discussion on Mac App Store Gaming.

Latest Reviews:
RAGE Mafia II Doodle Fit
12-30-2010, 02:36 AM
#7
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmud101 View Post
Hey man, great guys/gals like Hoddap and Arn wouldn't be here if it weren't for those ads, I guess.
+1
TA cannot rely on a donation-button
12-30-2010, 03:29 AM
#8
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,255
Ads are fine, what's annoying is when I'm trying to browse the site on my iPhone and right when I'm about to click the 'New Posts' button the whole page jumps about 2 lines down forcing me to click one of the stupid banner ads. Happens roughly about 50% of the time.