★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Activision: we don't view Appstore as opportunity for dedicated games.

12-02-2010, 01:39 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Activision: we don't view Appstore as opportunity for dedicated games.

For those who wonder why some of us laud Gameloft's efforts to bring traditional games to the Appstore in the form of clones, this article is a small example of why:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/02/ko...g-opportunity/

Quote:

"We don't view the App Store as a really big opportunity for dedicated games," Activision boss Bobby Kotick told the Global Media Summit in New York earlier this week. Much of the game industry is extremely interested in the growing mobile and social game markets, but according to Kotick, Activision believes it can reach a wider customer base by focusing on its most popular franchises and platforms. "The place where you have the opportunities for growth," he said, "is within the communities of franchises we control."

But while Activision holds off on the mobile and social markets in favor of pushing traditional franchises, competitor EA is laying all kinds of groundwork there. Opportunity, it seems, doesn't look the same to everyone.
12-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Gameloft > Activison.

Both are cloning games (a sequel is nothing more than a clone of the old game). GL atleast keeps it interesting by cloning so many genres and bringing it to a platform where it wasnt done before.

12-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Looks like they're a bunch of idiots.
12-02-2010, 02:15 PM
But yet someone gave the green light to Tony Hawk Shred, that's making them a lot of money.
12-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottColbert View Post
Gameloft is to Activision-Blizzard as beef jerky is to filet mignon. You can criticize A-B for relying on sequels, but I can't think of any company that does them better. I'd gladly spend 60 bucks on an A-B title than 6-7 bucks for Gameloft releases.

I happen to like GL games, but I'm being realistic, you can't compare the two companies especially in terms of quality.
But Activision publish games for CONSOLES. Gameloft for iOS, which is an extremely unfair comparison. INSM must be focusing on iOS games, which in that case Gameloft, although 'cloning' are far, far superior.

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3
12-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Screw Activision. We don't need them.

iOS gaming is already awesome enough with Gameloft, EA, Capcom, Crescent Moon, Firemint, Chair etc.

Hakuna Matata
12-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Well I guess there's no seeing Black-Ops zombie maps.

Lightning Strike Games Development Blog
12-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Man I hate Activision now. the iOS systems are becoming bigger and bigger with gamers, so why not make games for em? Sure they most likely would go for less than big console games, but there are some games on the app store that surpass the quality of other handheld games, and until they see that the iOS devices are worthy for they're "good" games, I won't support them. Never really liked console games as much as mobile goodness for some reason..
12-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Why does everybody compare $60 home console Activision games with 50 million dollar budgets (like the Modern Warfare/CoD games) to Gameloft titles made for mobile platforms? It's not even a fair comparison.

For me, I personally think it's pretty damn amazing what Gameloft has brought to the platform. Does MC2 even compare to Modern Warfare 2 compared directly? Of course not. You are comparing a game with a top budget and high end home console hardware to a mobile game made for a fraction of the cost.
12-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottColbert View Post
Gameloft is to Activision-Blizzard as beef jerky is to filet mignon. You can criticize A-B for relying on sequels, but I can't think of any company that does them better. I'd gladly spend 60 bucks on an A-B title than 6-7 bucks for Gameloft releases.

I happen to like GL games, but I'm being realistic, you can't compare the two companies especially in terms of quality.
I'm not comparing them directly. I'm comparing activision with their offering on consoles and gameloft with their offerings on appstore. I think gameloft's appstore efforts are a lot better than activisions efforts which acc to this guy should start and end on pumping out a CoD a year. That sounds really lame to me. Ya, it makes money for them (more than the whole of appstore sales combined possibly) but to dismiss everything else including facebook, mobile gaming isnt really the smartest comment IMO. He's either too much of a genius or too short sighted. I think its the latter.

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 12-02-2010 at 03:25 PM.