★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Tilt Monster **PROMO CODES Available**

12-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Tilt Monster **PROMO CODES Available**

Just approved yesterday, the update to our previous tilt-action game Doodle Dash! is now live in the app store!

The game has been renamed to "Tilt Monster" and has completely revamped/redesigned the game system, while still sticking to the same basic formula. Needless to say, the game is way more funner, performs WAY better, and is even MORE addicting!

Read more for info on getting a promo code...

If you want a promo code, you must agree to leave a rating/review in the app store after trying it out. To get one, simply contact me using the contact form on our official website (just click the blue contact tab on the far left of the site):

http://beebegamesonline.appspot.com/

Here's what others are saying so far...

"It's nice to see a developer make such a substantial upgrade for free. It's much improved over the previous version, retina graphics look awesome. Quite addictive, would totally recommend to anyone. Quality stuff here."

--

"This game is cute and is a great time waster. The concept is easy but it gets pretty challenging! The new update is great, the game is even cuter and more challenging now, I just wish I could play my own music while playing it! That's why I only rated it four stars."

----------

Thanks a lot everyone, I hope you enjoy the new update (which is more like a sequel)... Looking forward to reading your feedback!

Visit the Official Beebe Games Website
* Tilt Monster
* Dungeon Tap
* Dragon's Keep

Last edited by jonbeebe; 12-02-2010 at 04:19 PM.
12-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Still plenty more left! Oh yeah, the promo codes are for the U.S. app store only.

Remember, use this contact form (far left): http://beebegamesonline.appspot.com/

* Tilt Monster
* Dungeon Tap
* Dragon's Keep

12-03-2010, 01:39 AM
How do I get a promo code?
12-03-2010, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjames15 View Post
How do I get a promo code?
Go to my website and click the 'Contact' link (it's a little blue tab on the right-hand side of the site):

http://beebegamesonline.appspot.com/

Just say you want a promo code for Tilt Monster :-)

* Tilt Monster
* Dungeon Tap
* Dragon's Keep
12-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Game Impressions

Thanks for the code. Here are my impressions.

(3 stars) Not bad, but...

The music:
It's a very short loop that will get on your nerves quickly. Luckily you can turn it off in the settings. But then the only sound is hitting the gems or the obstacles. A soft running footfall sound in the background might be good.

The Art Style:
I like it for the most part. What I don't get is the grid background. Nothing else in the art style is sketch-like, so I don't see the point of the grid. In some ways it's distracting.

Gameplay:
The default tilt seemed too sensitive, but I might just be old. I hate that it's in landscape mode instead of portrait mode because it doesn't give you much time to react or plan ahead. Scoring is based just on gems and stars and not on distance. With the speed and the two hit max (one hit for bombs) games end quickly at first.

Suggestions:
I think distance should give you SOME kind of bonus, even if it's in the form of checkpoints. Include difficulty settings for starting speed, enemy speed, and number of hearts. Possibly even enemy density. And switch to portrait orientation.

Additional notes:
Until watching my 10-year-old daughter play, I didn't know you could warp from one side of the screen to the other. I thought the bushes were a barrier. That said, she kept hitting try again rather than just giving it back to me after a few tries. I asked what she would improve and she said she would remove the edge warp because when she moves off one side she loses track of her character. When she had to stop playing, she said "That was a pretty cool game".
12-04-2010, 09:17 PM
@Collin: Thanks for the great feedback! I really appreciate it. I'll address the things you mentioned one at a time.

The music:
There's an update in the approval process right now (2.0.1) that adds a different music track for standard mode (and the one present now for the spook theme). Of course, you could dislike it just as much because everyone has different tastes. Because of that, a future release (shortly after the new year) will allow you to choose music from your own music library from your device.

The Art Style:
The original name of the game was "Doodle Dash!" which explains the grid squares. Prior to the current version, the game's graphics weren't as high quality and really did fit in with the "Doodle" style. I upgraded the graphics and I guess the only thing that remained were the grid squares. I'll consider taking them out. I just didn't want the ground to look to plain. I'll keep what you said in mind though and experiment with different things.

Gameplay:
The default tilt is a little hard to get down. With the original version, it was split. So many people thought it was too sensitive while others thought it wasn't sensitive enough. I decided to actually tone down the sensitivity a bit for the default and add 5 different options, so right now, all I can tell you is to try out the different tilt options and see if you can't get used to one of them.

I decided not to score based on distance (though stars do award more points based on distance, as well as checkpoints), to prevent players from coasting along the edge of the screen to pass most of the enemies and climb the leaderboards.

However, I understood that people really want that so what I did with the update (currently awaiting approval, version 2.0.1) was add a difficulty setting to the game. Once the update is approved (in about a week or a little longer), there will be an easy, medium, and hard mode.

Easy mode will award points based on distance, have fewer bunnies, and move the game a little slower than it currently is (also, in easy mode, bombs will only take one heart away). Easy mode also has it's own OpenFeint leaderboards.

As far as games starting and ending pretty quickly, that's what we were going for. A quick in/quick out style gameplay that's easy to jump right into but makes you wanting to play "just one more". Also, I think when you can manage to last pretty long it makes getting a high score more rewarding. I understand not everyone likes that though, which is why I've decided to include "easy" mode.

It's very interesting what you said about having the game in portrait mode. I always thought people might feel too cramped in portrait mode, but I'll definitely consider making a portrait "mode" or something but not guaranteed to appear in the next few release(s).

I'll definitely add a "no edge warp" option in the settings page, as well as the soft-running on a football field sound (great suggestion by the way!).

Thanks a lot for your feedback! Of course, a 3 isn't what we were striving for, but you gave great feedback so look forward to seeing a lot of your suggestions in upcoming updates! Hopefully we can get the game toa 4 or 5 in your eyes :-)

* Tilt Monster
* Dungeon Tap
* Dragon's Keep
12-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Request send, hoping there are remaining codes.
12-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Yup, there are plenty left. Did your receive my email reply?

Anymore takers?

* Tilt Monster
* Dungeon Tap
* Dragon's Keep
12-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbeebe View Post
@Collin: ...Thanks a lot for your feedback! Of course, a 3 isn't what we were striving for, but you gave great feedback so look forward to seeing a lot of your suggestions in upcoming updates! Hopefully we can get the game to a 4 or 5 in your eyes :-)
I'm confident that you will, and I'll adjust it accordingly when the time comes. My main problem with the music was how short the clip was before it looped. The footfall sound will be a nice substitute though. At least I'll like it.

As for the background, some kind of wavy grass like texture that moved at the same pace of the side trees (or even just a light green) would probably look good. That is another thing about the current grid background; it doesn't move at all, and if you focus on it your character then appears to only be moving side to side, so it's like everything is being thrown at you. A little off-putting.

It does have the "one more time" factor going for it though. In the middle of writing this I decided to play again to make sure my impression of the grid was accurate, and I played six games. Just got my highest score so far of 9,692.

One more idea, see what you think of it. Right now, of course, you tilt side to side to move left and right. What about making tilt away from you slows you down, and toward you moves faster? Tilting away would slow the approach of objects and move the character a bit higher on the screen, and down would speed them up and move him a bit lower on the screen. And, to add to difficulty, you only score for distance if you are moving fast. If you move slow, no score for distance.
12-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Enjoyable game, being critical I’d give it 3.5 our of 5 points. It's crazy there are still promo codes left.

Admittedly I've not played as many of tilt & dodge games but Tilt Monster’s difficulty seems pretty hard right out the gate (which to me is a plus) so I think the difficulty toggle in the next update might broaden the appeal. An idea might be to allow the monster to shoot enemies or jump over them (maybe on a limited power-up basis) if that does not deviate too far from your intended design.

The ability to change character designs and theme is gold but throwing a few additional theme styles would make it even more fun. Unlockable items might help lengthen replay value. I enjoyed finding at least one easter egg in the green dragon with hockey mask when that character is selected with candy corn theme (I assume there are more surprises).

It’s obvious a lot of thought was put into scoring and mechanics. Again it was challenging but I really enjoyed how many of the value items were placed next to monsters (perhaps by design). The scoring system could use some tweaking because for “combos” it felt to me like values climbed too rapidly or just surviving a stage was so valuable both made a 12 point single pick up (even a difficult one) seem insignificant. On the other hand combos it created a "can't miss this one" feeling so maybe a middle group moderation.

Generally the art style is good but one thing that might make the game seem even more novel is to abandon the grid background (as previously mentioned). I'm glad you upgraded the graphics. It might be worth considering adding a backstory to the gameplay, if done properly this might make it more compelling and enhance the art style and add some humor. Why is the dragon picking up candy corn (or gems) and avoiding other monsters? Conversely a poor back story attempt might make the game seem cheap.

Thanks for the promo code, glad I got in on this one. Well done!

P.S. - I like the edge warp and landscape orientation (this helps distance Tilt Monster from other run & dodge games).