★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Ludia
  • Genre: Family
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 92.5 MB
  • Version: 1.0.3
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating: 4 (2)
App description: Race around the world and experience the thrill of the hit reality series with The Amazing Race mobile game on your iPhone or iPod touch!

Now you can participate in one of the most exciting reality games - race around the world to have a chance to win the ultimate challenge - all on your iPhone, or iPod touch.

With gameplay that echoes the TV show, players in The Amazing Race mobile game will race across the globe in a quest to be the first to arrive at the finish line. They can tackle the full globe-trotting experience in Adventure mode, or beat the top scores in your favorite challenges with Quick Play mode. Detours, Roadblocks, Fast Forwards, and surprise obstacles challenge contestants as they race through exotic locations all across the globe. Experience all of the excitement of the Amazing Race show! Compete to be the first to reach the Pit Stop..Will Phil Keoghan, host of the award-winning The Amazing Race send you to the next exciting challenge or will he tell you that youre the last team to arrive?

Key Features:

* Compete in 16 Different Types of Minigames as you make your way through exciting challenges
* Choose from short, medium, or long races
* Race in 84 unique locations, 28 cities, and 5 continents
* Play against familiar duos like the Goths, the Athletes, the Students, and more
* Experience random events on the road, like flat tires and shortcuts, that give teams an extra boost or obstacle
12-02-2010, 04:44 PM
I suppose there could be some potential for humor. If you arent doing well at one of the minigames, your partner could yell at you. The old people team could get heat exhaustion, the eye-candy team could get a giant questionmark over their head mid-challenge due to bafflement, the quitters could randomly sit down and give up and the jerk could try to cheat. However, I dont know how a mini-game could capture the eat-some-bugs type experience.

I would TFFT, but I sort of feel like I do that every Sunday when my wife makes me watch this instead of get busy.

Currently addicted to Clash Royale

12-02-2010, 04:56 PM
I TOFTT. I've got spotty wifi ATM, so I'll post impressions once I've had a chance to check it out.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
12-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Let us know how it is!

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
12-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Played it just a little bit so far... but I'm liking what I see. it helps that I'm a fan of the show.

You get to pick what "team" you want to be, though I don't think that there is any real differences in who you pick (other than the looks). That was a little bummer for me because there was a chance to really have strategy in who you picked, but... oh well.

You can decide to play a short, medium, or long game. I picked the medium (9 leg) journey to start. You can also choose between an easy or hard game. I picked Easy just to get the feel of things.

From there it's a bunch of choices and mini games. First you have a set amount of money to spend and you can pick how you want to travel. Each flight or other type of transportation comes with a cost and speed. You can spend all your money up front to try and get a lead, or spread it out more evenly.

Once you get to the destination there are mini games that are set up as Detours and Roadblocks. I've only done two legs of the nine so far, but I actually liked the mini games that I played.

Your position is constantly updated and it was pretty neat to see my team move up as I did well on the games. You can see how far ahead (or behind) you are after each game.

Then you move to the pit stop and see where you finish. After two legs I'm in first place and have a huge lead. Some of this is because I did a Fast Forward and got lucky on a few of the questions. This is based on knowledge of geography and flags of nations.

Even in the first little bit I've played so far I liked that there was a sense of urgency to the game. I love that you can see how many minutes separate each team and where you stand.

As for cons... Only one player. It would be nice to have some sort of pass and play or wifi with this game. It could be done, but it's not. This is strictly stand alone. Also, I think this game missed the chance to be Edutainment. You go to cool places and see pictures, but nothing is said about the location. I like that in the TV show you learn a little bit about the space, or get the culture, but this is missing from the game. This would have been a very nice tie-in. I'm also concerned about the replay factor because after a while I will have played all the mini games and answered all the questions. I will reserve judgement on this one.

Pros are really for the fans of the TV show. Others will have a good time playing this, but I think the real fun is in being a fan of the show and putting yourself in the mix. The mini games are good. The sound is right from the show (including Phil) and the graphics are nicely done. I'm playing on my iPad and it look good on the 2x mode.

So this review is only after two legs on Easy mode, but I'm very happy with the $3 spend so far. No get me Survivor and The Apprentice (real game, not the quiz) and I'll be even happier.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
12-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Great job with a description of the game, so I'll just add that I played through a 5 leg race and had a blast. I'm not someone who even watches the show, but now I actually want to check it out. I really like the concept behind this, and really enjoyed the game I played. I definitely recommend it.

Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
12-02-2010, 10:11 PM
This looks interesting. Does a race in this game work like the actual show where teams are eliminated 1 by 1? Also are the minigames pretty simple to play?
12-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by hobbitrjw27 View Post
This looks interesting. Does a race in this game work like the actual show where teams are eliminated 1 by 1? Also are the minigames pretty simple to play?
Yes. Teams get eliminated 1 by 1. The games are generally pretty simple to play. It's usually more about completing them quickly rather than being able to finish them. The games are timed, as the whole concept is about finishing first.

12-02-2010, 10:43 PM
LOL, I dont have the game but I'm sure its nothing like the show. Here is how the show goes:

1: Teams leave on the leg in order of how they finished the last leg

1a: one team gets lost of the way to the airport cause their cabby is a moron

1b: one team sleeps at the airport

1c: one team finds a better flight

1d: another team sees them talking to a travel agent and says: we want that same flight

1e: the team that gets in last finds that both other flights are full

2: when they get to the destination, they get a clue and go somewhere. Only the place where they are supposed to go doesnt open until 6 am, so the whole nonsense about the flights was irrelevant

2a: now we have a challenge of some sort. Even though its a physical challenge, burly guy made his skinny, no-muscle girlfriend do it. He gets progressively more agitated as she struggles shouting "COME ON" "NOT LIKE THAT" or any of a dozen other variants. She breaks down and cries, but eventually does the challenge.

2b: on the way to somewhere else, more people get lost in cabs

3: Perhaps this challenge is something a little interesting, they are random. Many involve the teams sorting through many items to find something. Others involve eating stuff, but that is rare. Occasionally they have to count things. Occasionally one of the stupid teams is amusing. The physical challenges can occasionally be interesting too, particularly if one of the old or weak teams is left. Or if someone is afraid of heights, the water, riding on donkeys, you name it.

4: Teams come in one by one to the pitstop, with fake drama for first and last. Usually by this point, you have the vague sense that one team is hopelessly far behind, but they use camera trickery to make it look like its a race for last to the pitstop. However, at times the trickery fails because the time of day is visibly different. Usually the team you thought was in last is in last.

The show can sometimes be good when the location is cool, and the challenges interesting. However, a lot of times it feels like a lot of the show is about shopping for flights, not getting the idiot cab-driver, and other uninteresting things.

This year, they totally stacked the deck to try and get an all female team to win. This year, there is no male-male physically fit team, and at least one of the female-female teams is physically fit and smarter than the other teams (two doctors). The female-female doctors are smart and harmless, but they dont have a lot of personality. They probably wont win anyway, since its better to be lucky than smart. Two of the four teams are man/woman where the man is a total ass, continually berating and belittling the female. That is another amazing race tradition, although usually there are not two of these teams in the final four. The final team is two female QVC hosts, one of which is basically a dominatrix (personality wise, not dress wise) which is mildly entertaining at times.

Believe it or not, I sometimes like the show...other times, the wife makes me watch it anyway.

Currently addicted to Clash Royale

Last edited by ArtNJ; 12-02-2010 at 10:45 PM.
12-02-2010, 10:49 PM
I assume you can save your game so you don't have to play a race in one sitting correct? This looks like one I might have to pick up. What a crazy day for releases. Potentially there are now 3 games I could be after but dont want to get all of them at once.