★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Maybe Gameloft can make the star craft ripoff a real competitive rts

12-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Maybe Gameloft can make the star craft ripoff a real competitive rts

And one that can generate a lot of interest. But like the touch arcade front page article said, its been proven with pure touch controls its hard to make a traditional rts without sacrifices and none really generated much success. So do you guys think it is because most of or fingers are fatter than a mouse cursor and its hard to accurately select units with an emulated mouse icon or pure touch controls it's just also not too accurate due to selection boxes? If so do you guys think the solution could e for game loft to make it for iPad and require the stylus? I mean nintendo ds has done pretty much this and succeeded so why shouldn't game loft? If that's the only option I mean.
12-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirolak26 View Post
And one that can generate a lot of interest. But like the touch arcade front page article said, its been proven with pure touch controls its hard to make a traditional rts without sacrifices and none really generated much success. So do you guys think it is because most of or fingers are fatter than a mouse cursor and its hard to accurately select units with an emulated mouse icon or pure touch controls it's just also not too accurate due to selection boxes? If so do you guys think the solution could e for game loft to make it for iPad and require the stylus? I mean nintendo ds has done pretty much this and succeeded so why shouldn't game loft? If that's the only option I mean.
They would lose so many sales if they went with just iPad and stylus (if there is such a thing) it wouldn't be worth it in the least, I also beg to differ that a good rts can't be done on the iPhone, look up Land Air Sea Warfare, incredible rts, simply amazing and works on the iphone perfect.

Lightning Strike Games Development Blog

12-03-2010, 10:07 PM
I think and air sea warfare and especially red conquest have amazing controls..
12-03-2010, 10:14 PM
well dont quote me, the article author, Brad Nicholas (http://toucharcade.com/2010/12/02/ga...ront-collision) claimed it cant be done or failed every time (so he must consider those games not real rts games or failed attempts). Or maybe he means those games are just not as complex as they could be which in that point my first post still stands with a stylus and the ipads bigger screen it could work.

and it does exist:http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...e=UTF8&index=0
12-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Direct quote from the article:
"The traditional RTS doesn't translate well to iOS devices, but that's not discouraging Gameloft."
12-03-2010, 10:32 PM
read this ign editorial (he is basically repeating what Ive been arguing with you ppl about the last two days and that is the ipad has great rts potential and it is hampered down due to multiapp support of rts with the iphone and because apple and devs underutilizing its gaming capabilities):
http://wireless.ign.com/articles/113/1138251p1.html

"When I first considered iPad gaming in early 2010, I assumed we'd see a lot of real-time strategy games. After all, the iPad seems perfect for them. The large screen offers a lot of viewable real estate with great detail and the ample touchscreen space would make it easy to dig through menus, draw boxes, and manipulate units. Yet there really haven't been that many solid efforts.

And, really, why hasn't Blizzard put StarCraft on the iPad?" There is no reason every ipad game has to be tailored down to a small viewing screen due to the inclusion of an iphone version. Just start making games for its full potential already. You can put more things on the screen not just the same iphone screen but everything in it bigger.
12-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Quote:
read this ign editorial (he is basically repeating what Ive been arguing with you ppl about the last two days and that is the ipad has great rts potential and it is hampered down due to multiapp support of rts with the iphone and because apple and devs underutilizing its gaming capabilities):
http://wireless.ign.com/articles/113/1138251p1.html

"When I first considered iPad gaming in early 2010, I assumed we'd see a lot of real-time strategy games. After all, the iPad seems perfect for them. The large screen offers a lot of viewable real estate with great detail and the ample touchscreen space would make it easy to dig through menus, draw boxes, and manipulate units. Yet there really haven't been that many solid efforts.

And, really, why hasn't Blizzard put StarCraft on the iPad?" There is no reason every ipad game has to be tailored down to a small viewing screen due to the inclusion of an iphone version. Just start making games for its full potential already. You can put more things on the screen not just the same iphone screen but everything in it bigger.
Unofficial World of WorldCraft coming to Ipad next year you know.
12-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Have you ever even played a real RTS game?

I'm pretty sure fat fingers and innacurate selection boxes aren't the biggest reason most RTSs don't work

Red Conquest did a great job of working with the iPod's limiations and actually crafted a game that took advantage of the touch screen.
12-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottColbert View Post
You keep overlooking one simple thing: 5million iPads vs 10's of millions of iPhones/Touches. It's a no brainer they're going to develop for both in order to make money. When will you ever understand that?
When he maxes out on the number of threads alotted per user.
12-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Stirolak26 - Dude we get it, you think the iPad is greatest piece of consumer electronics ever created and the iPhone is a steaming pile of garbage. You don't need to continue to post in every thread going on and on about this. I think you fail to understand that developers don't make games for the best piece of technology. They make games where they feel they have the best chance at success. The numbers just aren't there for developers to put most of their resources into the iPad. You really need to get a grasp on that.

Back on topic, I'm not counting out the potential for RTS games on another platform. For those of you who remember the 90's, FPS games were almost exclusive to PC. The few on consoles were horirble outside of a couple N64 games (Goldeneye and Perfect Dark). All of a sudden Bungie made Halo for the Xbox and now nearly 10 years later, most people play FPS games on a console vs the PC. I even almost prefer a controller for an FPS now. It's not unrealistic to thinkt he same could happen for RTS games. People said the same thing about FPS games and controls 10-15 years ago.

So who knows? Do i expect an RTS equal to the quality of one on PC? No. I do think that a good RTS is possible on this device and I hope Gameloft delivers.