★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Minotaur Rescue by Llamasoft (universal)

12-04-2010, 08:53 AM
#1
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 250
Minotaur Rescue by Llamasoft (universal)

Just found out about a new iOS game coming soon from one of my favourite game developers of all time, Llamasoft! So I thought I'd post a thread about it 'cos I'm excited.



The game's title isn't finalised yet. Apparently it is nearing completion. It's the first game in a possible series of games... oldschool arcade shoot-em-up style. This one is Atari VCS themed.

It has a couple different main game modes:

Deep Space Minotaur Madness.. Like Space Wars crossed with Asteroids (shoot large rocks, which break into smaller rocks, also to be shot, with enemy UFOs appearing frequently, also to be shot), with added Minotaur rescuing for weapon powerups, etc.

Solar Minotaur Rescue Frenzy, which is similar to Deep, but with a gravity sun to deal with/avoid/prevent anything going into it. The sun also bends your bullet stream, like in Llamasoft's last game Gridrunner Revolution.

There are also a couple other extra game modes, Tanks and Jets.

It's single or multi player: 1-2 players on iPhone/touch, 1-4 players on iPad. (players sharing the same device)

That's all I know about it yet. Thanks to MedwayPVB for info and screenshot.

Interesting interview with Jeff Minter, showing lots of gameplay footage:


Youtube link | Pop Up


Controls look really good. I'm looking forward to this one a lot. Looks great fun if you love oldschool shooters with a trippy modern edge (and full of beasts). I certainly do

Last edited by nyarla; 12-04-2010 at 10:13 AM.
12-04-2010, 09:03 AM
#2
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 105
Great news to see Jeff Minter making apps. With him and the Bitmap brothers making apps, all we need now is Cinemaware and we can relive the 80's.

12-04-2010, 11:26 AM
#3
Joined: May 2010
Location: Valrico, FL
Posts: 309
Excellent news! I've been waiting for Minter to start working on the iOS. Still play Tempest 2k on my Jag occasionally.
12-04-2010, 09:33 PM
#4
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 2,882
I quite like the current title. I'll be looking forward to this one. Now all we need is a price, release date, and gameplay video on a 2G Touch!

Upcoming Games: CJS2, Racing Apex, High Strangeness, Dino Run, Super Feed Me, Mimeo and the Kleptopus King, Loot, Run Run Dash, Pogo Rampage, Burrito Bison, Star Saver, Pocket Cars, Rock Rider, THEM, Prince of Europa, Epic Dive, One Tap Hero
12-05-2010, 05:30 AM
#5
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 250
Wow! I've been lucky enough to have been sent a test build to play (thanks Jeff!). It's fun, liking it heaps so far.

Classic Llamasoft game design. Starts getting really difficult around level 10.. (15 is as far as I've made it so far.. dunno how many levels there are).. different enemies start appearing.. little UFOs flying around dropping homing mines and stuff. Weird things happening like all the graphics going all "echoey" and the sun in the middle of the screen seemingly increasing its gravity field strength and going invisible (not sure what triggers that yet - EDIT: ah! it's because too much stuff has fallen into the sun and it's imploded into a black hole! of course ). Gets nice and hectic I love using the sun's gravity to curve my bullet streams.

Lots of neat little touches.. the graphics are beautiful in a minimalist, gently trippy way... everything leaves subtle, pulsing, glowing trails. It's like an idealised dream of a late 70s game played on an old TV.

The controls are great. All you need is a single finger or thumb, gently stroking the screen.

For anyone who's played Bit Pilot.. well, this is quite different, but does share the whole "flying a tiny ship through a field of asteroids" thing. I love Bit Pilot, but I'm finding the controls in Minotaur Rescue a lot more fun / less frustrating - just to give a vague idea. It's got that whole "it never feels unfair when I die" thing going on..

Last edited by nyarla; 12-05-2010 at 05:41 AM.
12-05-2010, 10:34 AM
#6
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarla View Post
Wow! I've been lucky enough to have been sent a test build to play (thanks Jeff!). It's fun, liking it heaps so far.

Classic Llamasoft game design. Starts getting really difficult around level 10.. (15 is as far as I've made it so far.. dunno how many levels there are).. different enemies start appearing.. little UFOs flying around dropping homing mines and stuff. Weird things happening like all the graphics going all "echoey" and the sun in the middle of the screen seemingly increasing its gravity field strength and going invisible (not sure what triggers that yet - EDIT: ah! it's because too much stuff has fallen into the sun and it's imploded into a black hole! of course ). Gets nice and hectic I love using the sun's gravity to curve my bullet streams.

Lots of neat little touches.. the graphics are beautiful in a minimalist, gently trippy way... everything leaves subtle, pulsing, glowing trails. It's like an idealised dream of a late 70s game played on an old TV.

The controls are great. All you need is a single finger or thumb, gently stroking the screen.

For anyone who's played Bit Pilot.. well, this is quite different, but does share the whole "flying a tiny ship through a field of asteroids" thing. I love Bit Pilot, but I'm finding the controls in Minotaur Rescue a lot more fun / less frustrating - just to give a vague idea. It's got that whole "it never feels unfair when I die" thing going on..
An early build?? Oh you lucky bastard. Bit Pilot is one of my favorite games of all time, this game is definitely at the top of my list.

Upcoming Games: CJS2, Racing Apex, High Strangeness, Dino Run, Super Feed Me, Mimeo and the Kleptopus King, Loot, Run Run Dash, Pogo Rampage, Burrito Bison, Star Saver, Pocket Cars, Rock Rider, THEM, Prince of Europa, Epic Dive, One Tap Hero
12-21-2010, 08:58 AM
#7
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 250
Just heard that this has now been submitted. Awesome!

It now also has a survival mode (for both Solar and Deep Space games) which takes place in one big endless level where you only have one life. Good addition for a quick blast - a full game can last for quite awhile. Survival mode is hardcore!
12-21-2010, 03:50 PM
#8
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarla View Post
Just heard that this has now been submitted. Awesome!

It now also has a survival mode (for both Solar and Deep Space games) which takes place in one big endless level where you only have one life. Good addition for a quick blast - a full game can last for quite awhile. Survival mode is hardcore!
I'll be a first-day buyer for sure!

Upcoming Games: CJS2, Racing Apex, High Strangeness, Dino Run, Super Feed Me, Mimeo and the Kleptopus King, Loot, Run Run Dash, Pogo Rampage, Burrito Bison, Star Saver, Pocket Cars, Rock Rider, THEM, Prince of Europa, Epic Dive, One Tap Hero
12-27-2010, 06:37 PM
#9
What does Jeff Minter mean by "...built on top of Neon 2"? Also, are the minotaurs mandatory to collect, or do they just supply bonus points? Is there a penalty for avoiding minotaurs? Is there a Minotaur meter of sorts? Does it still feel like a party once the minotaurs appear, or do they tend to hang back and be more like wallflowers? Will people think "now that's one heck of a Minotaur," or say, "oh, so that's the Minotaur." Where ever did that minotaur app go, a few days before we cry no-show, o Minotaur, Minotaur, for me and every other average Joe?
12-27-2010, 07:24 PM
#10
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Saratoga, CA, USA
Posts: 11,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubjelly View Post
What does Jeff Minter mean by "...built on top of Neon 2"? Also, are the minotaurs mandatory to collect, or do they just supply bonus points? Is there a penalty for avoiding minotaurs? Is there a Minotaur meter of sorts? Does it still feel like a party once the minotaurs appear, or do they tend to hang back and be more like wallflowers? Will people think "now that's one heck of a Minotaur," or say, "oh, so that's the Minotaur." Where ever did that minotaur app go, a few days before we cry no-show, o Minotaur, Minotaur, for me and every other average Joe?
While I have absolutely no idea where you are going there, Grubjelly, I completely agree!

I say the AppStore gang will have to have their vacation cut short and RAM Minotaur Rescue out the door ASAP!

How can they visit family, open their Christmas gifts, and have toddies by the fire when MINOTAURS ARE SUFFERING?

How long do you think they can simply hang in the vacuum of space?

Sure they're tough, bull-headed, and often carrying a big double headed axe, but, dangit, they have feelings too!

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews