★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: How do you update large iPhone games?

03-20-2009, 02:13 AM
How do you update large iPhone games?

My apologies if this is posted somewhere else. I searched but couldn't find anything about it.

Certain games, such as iDracula, are over 10 mb in size and when I try to update them over the iPhone App Store interface, I get a pop up window that says I need to connect to a WiFi network or download the updates manually through iTunes.

Now my iPhone is connected to a WiFi network as far as I know. It is my understanding that I couldn't access the internet unless I was. As I can, that would seem to indicate that I am connected. (Course, I could be wrong about this. Please correct me if this is the case.)

Also, when I go to iTunes on my computer, there doesn't seem to be any clear indication as to how I update games that I have already bought.

So, can someone please tell me how to update large games on my iPhone? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
03-20-2009, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgrail View Post
My apologies if this is posted somewhere else. I searched but couldn't find anything about it.
Should be in lounge

Quote:
Now my iPhone is connected to a WiFi network as far as I know. It is my understanding that I couldn't access the internet unless I was. As I can, that would seem to indicate that I am connected. (Course, I could be wrong about this. Please correct me if this is the case.)
If you have a touch, then yes. If you have an iphone, then no not necessarily.

Quote:
Also, when I go to iTunes on my computer, there doesn't seem to be any clear indication as to how I update games that I have already bought.
On the left panel, click on "applications". Down in the bottom right, there will be a button for "check for updates". Clickt hat, and then if you have any, you will get a pop up. And then taken to the updates page. From there you will see all the updates and you can update individual ones, or In the upper right you can hit "download all"

Twitter: @Zincous

03-20-2009, 02:49 AM
Limit used to be 10MB but I don't find that any longer the case. Perhaps it still is on 3G but wifi there is no limit. I've updated 100MB+ games on my ipod touch no problem directly via wifi. When I hook it back up to itunes then the update copies over to my imac.
03-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
Limit used to be 10MB but I don't find that any longer the case. Perhaps it still is on 3G but wifi there is no limit.
There was never a limit on WiFi. It was always for EDGE/3G only.
03-20-2009, 06:22 AM
first: welcome at ta!

second: i have an iphone 3g and downloading apps/games that are bigger then 10MB is NOT POSSIBLE via iphone (it says "this file is over 10MB. you have to use your computer to download it", and yes i tried both edge/3g and WiFi).

third: if you already bought such a game/app (but like i said: it doesn't want to download) you have to open iTunes, click STORE ---> CHECK FOR AVAILABLE first. if nothing appears, select APPLICATIONS from the left column called Library, at the bottom there is an option CHECK FOR UPDATES.

numero quatro:
if still nothing (and sometimes it happens) find the app/game you want to update in APP STORE and click BUY APP on your COMPUTER iTunes. if you bought it before - don't worry, you don't have to pay one more time. Click "Yes I Want To Buy It". Then it shows "You bought this game/app already. Do you want to download it for free again?". YES.

that's all i guess
hope it help.

Last edited by pante; 03-20-2009 at 06:32 AM.
03-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pante View Post
fsecond: i have an iphone 3g and downloading apps/games that are bigger then 10MB is NOT POSSIBLE via iphone (it says "this file is over 10MB. you have to use your computer to download it", and yes i tried both edge/3g and WiFi).
Very, very strange. I updated >100MB apps via WiFi on my iPhone 3G several times. Are you sure you were logged in correctly in your local WiFi?
03-20-2009, 07:21 AM
I buy--and update-- all my apps on iTunes on my pc. Then I download it again via wifi on my iPod Touch--even the larger games like Shooter.
(I get the message that I have already purchased it, and the question 'do I want to download it again for free?' ) I do it that way so that I do not have to manually sync every time I buy an app, since the sync takes so long. It saves me a lot of time.
03-20-2009, 07:24 AM
Definitely no limit on updating or downloading apps over wifi on my iphone 3G. I'm almost never syncing to computer, and have downloaded many apps over 100 mb at work where we have a fast wifi connection.

If you have phone, disable 3G/Edge by putting it to airplane mode and then activate wifi only to check if your network is working ok.
03-20-2009, 07:30 AM
I also can download 100mb+ apps over wifi on iPhone 3G. But when connected on 3G network the 10mb limit applies. I buy and update all apps on my iPhone and only use iTunes to backup and sync music
03-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgrail View Post
You could still be connected with 3G or Edge, have you checked the little icon to the right of the carrier name at the top of the screen? If it says 3G or E you are not connected through WiFi.