★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Game Walkthrough Section?

12-06-2010, 08:10 AM
#1
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 86
Game Walkthrough Section?

Any plans on adding a Walkthrough/How-To section to these forums?

It would really help to have a separate area dedicated for this (sub-forum?) as it is currently very hard to find help on how to complete levels in certain games.
12-06-2010, 11:05 PM
#2
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicMX View Post
Any plans on adding a Walkthrough/How-To section to these forums?

It would really help to have a separate area dedicated for this (sub-forum?) as it is currently very hard to find help on how to complete levels in certain games.
I kind of like the idea. Unfortunately there isn't too much discussion on walkthroughs. I know there are a few on the general game discussions sub-forum but I'm not sure if there's enough for it's own forum.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread

12-07-2010, 12:46 AM
#3
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,741
This all depends on user input, and really... there isn't much of it. People are quite happy to answer questions but who's gonna sit down and write a game guide, or even compile an FAQ? The TA staff seem reluctant to create new sub-forums unless there's a decent amount of content to go inside it, and we're hardly overflowing with walkthroughs at the moment.

  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
12-07-2010, 02:33 PM
#4
Joined: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,268,691
Yeah I'd have no problem creating the forum... But pretty much all of our forums were created out of necessity. For instance, we spun General Game Discussion off from the iPhone and iPod touch Games forum because threads people were posting asking what games to get or listing favorites and things like that were bumping actual game releases off the front page of the forum display.

We don't currently have this problem with walkthroughs, at all. If it got to a point where we were like "holy cow there are so many walkthroughs being posted!" that it was interrupting the general forum, then sure. Maybe you can start this trend and we'll make a forum for it once it takes off.
12-08-2010, 03:21 AM
#5
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
This all depends on user input, and really... there isn't much of it. People are quite happy to answer questions but who's gonna sit down and write a game guide, or even compile an FAQ? The TA staff seem reluctant to create new sub-forums unless there's a decent amount of content to go inside it, and we're hardly overflowing with walkthroughs at the moment.
I actually got the idea when i was playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and was stuck trying to do the "Drain the Fountain" mission in Philadelphia. I ended up going to IGN for some tips, searching on google and so forth and finally (after a lot of searching) found the answer.

Searching this 46 page thread would be insane, so i chose not to:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...y+hawk&page=46

Actually had to go through the same ordeal with Modern Combat 2 and the dodging the various attacks...

Again, definitely not gonna go through 198 pages of online playing discussion in this topic:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...69036&page=198

Also if you do happen to post a question in those threads they get run over so quick by multiplayer discussions and so forth that they in practice never get answered...


There just has to be a better way of getting help regarding playing the actual game!

It wouldn't necessarily have to be about actual walkthroughs, but more like a game help section where people can provide their input and advice to help others complete the games.
12-27-2010, 12:31 PM
#6
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 86
12-27-2010, 07:54 PM
#7
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: #317
Posts: 1,216
Send a message via Yahoo to swishinj
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicMX View Post
I actually got the idea when i was playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and was stuck trying to do the "Drain the Fountain" mission in Philadelphia. I ended up going to IGN for some tips, searching on google and so forth and finally (after a lot of searching) found the answer.

Searching this 46 page thread would be insane, so i chose not to:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...y+hawk&page=46

Actually had to go through the same ordeal with Modern Combat 2 and the dodging the various attacks...

Again, definitely not gonna go through 198 pages of online playing discussion in this topic:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...69036&page=198

Also if you do happen to post a question in those threads they get run over so quick by multiplayer discussions and so forth that they in practice never get answered...


There just has to be a better way of getting help regarding playing the actual game!

It wouldn't necessarily have to be about actual walkthroughs, but more like a game help section where people can provide their input and advice to help others complete the games.
The General Game Discussion and Questions Section always works well.

You won't find me on the leaderboards.
12-27-2010, 07:56 PM
#8
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by swishinj View Post
The General Game Discussion and Questions Section always works well.
So maybe a subforum to the General Game Discussion and Q Section? I kinda like the idea too.

FreeAppTracker.com free daily apps, rankings, & contests!
12-27-2010, 11:45 PM
#9
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird View Post
So maybe a subforum to the General Game Discussion and Q Section? I kinda like the idea too.
I second this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
...I vink you fail good sir. I don't vink vat yo get ze jok.
Proud Member of SAB
SAB Intelligence Officer
01-26-2011, 07:58 AM
#10
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by swishinj View Post
The General Game Discussion and Questions Section always works well.
That is actually a good place to post a question! Will do that in the future.

Cheers