★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What am I doing wrong ?

12-06-2010, 12:32 PM
What am I doing wrong ?

So a few days ago I released my newest and best game so far .. Chuzlies : http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chuzlies/id404752533?mt=8

I really thought I was on to a winner with this one but so far sales have been very disappointing.

3 sold day 1
9 sold day 2
12 sold day 3
6 sold day 4

What I don't get is on ALL of the pre-release and post-release threads I made across various forums on the internet the feedback was always positive. No one suggested changing anything and everyone liked what they saw.

So what am I doing wrong? Why are my sales always poor? Why do review sites refuse point blank to review my game? Will my upcoming lite version (when approved) help or is my game now doomed?

I know I have created a great little puzzle game with Chuzlies, but how do I get the word out and get people to see how good it is?

I am starting to get really disheartened with iPhone Dev now , it just doesn't add up.

(This is me on my knees, humble and begging for help/advice)

I would appreciate any feedback on this, i really would
12-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Are you advertising your game? Has it been reviewed on big sites? Is it featured by Apple? Are you cross-promoting it with other games that have large user bases? If the answers are no, then your game isnt selling because no one knows about your game.

Also, you're competing with the thousands of cutsy puzzle games on the AppStore. That's really hard. If I want a cutsy puzzle game I'll probably get one of those popular ones (wont say the names) at the top of the free/$0.99 charts on iTunes.

12-06-2010, 01:45 PM
What were your expectations?
12-06-2010, 01:52 PM
The art stinks. Sorry to be harsh, but that's it.

Upcoming Games: CJS2, Racing Apex, High Strangeness, Dino Run, Super Feed Me, Mimeo and the Kleptopus King, Loot, Run Run Dash, Pogo Rampage, Burrito Bison, Star Saver, Pocket Cars, Rock Rider, THEM, Prince of Europa, Epic Dive, One Tap Hero
12-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlejumper View Post
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatworld View Post
What were your expectations?
Something a little better, say a few hundred downloads to start with.
12-06-2010, 02:59 PM
The art looks cute. The itunes description is real vague though -- some sort of cute puzzle game is all I got from it.

"Some sort of cute puzzle game" + .99 is not really enough to go on. I didnt read your early thread on TA -- did you give away promo codes? Use beta testers from the forum? Describe the game better than in the itunes post?

Your youtube video has just 100 and something hits, so I dont think one can say that the video is a problem. Its a little on the short side and didnt fully illuminate the game for me, but this certainly isnt the real issue.

All of that said, I am not sure its possible for a indie developer without a pre-existing fan-base to hit gold with just a tweak on a familiar puzzle genre, however good the presentation, without a lite version or intro freebie.

Currently addicted to Clash Royale
12-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlejumper View Post
I disagree, they are much better than what some developers unleash onto the App Store. Some of the art looks professional enough to get away with.

However, there are a few objects that look like they were made in Paint (ie, not professional). Object such as the zombie heads (especially), stretches chains, trident etc, look on the bad side.

The backgrounds look good (apart from the army background).

However what really lets you down the is the sense of togetherness (if that's a word). From the screenshots, the game looks like a load of objects put together.

There seems to not be that much differentiation to other offerings from other developers.

Is it just a simple platformer?

If not, then you have done something wrong in displaying the game. Is there something unique about your game that's unlike any other? Show it.

I hope this helps, but your game looks a whole lot better than what I have seen in the past.

Well done.

www.oneclickmac.com - News, Reviews and Discussion on Mac App Store Gaming.

Latest Reviews:
RAGE Mafia II Doodle Fit
12-06-2010, 03:14 PM
A few hundred a day? A week? or over the life of the game?

I have to agree with the first comment on the art too. Not only did you rip-off the pac-man ghosts, but in some cases the art just looks unfinished (ie. the clouds in the upper corners, which are simply cut off at the bottom.

It's the games that are polished to no end that end up climbing the charts.
12-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Keep them coming

You are all giving me a lot to think about, and have all made valid points.
Thank you, I am looking forward to more.
12-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmud101 View Post
However what really lets you down the is the sense of togetherness (if that's a word). From the screenshots, the game looks like a load of objects put together.
I have to agree with this. While the art itself looks good on the most part (I really like the animals, especially the hippo), but it looks kinda floaty and flimsy. I'm sure making it more cohesive can't be all that hard. Also the reviews said you were using GameSalad. I know you're active in the Corona community, so why not port it? Long loading times on a phone are killer I think.