★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Puzzles

10-25-2008, 11:38 PM
Puzzles

I'm working hard at procrastinating because I have a lot of writing to do. I'm looking for a good puzzle to help me accomplish nothing. I really don't like playing mindless games. I'm looking for something that's going to work my brain that's not a word game.

Right now I have it between Stroll Garden and Loops of Zen. Any suggestions?
10-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Have you tried the free online version of Loops of Zen? That should be enough of an indicator of whether or not you like it enough to shell out the $2.

I like Stroll Garden a lot, despite its graphics and the weirdness surrounding its update (the new version wouldn't upload to my 1G iPod Touch, and then it randomly did a few weeks ago).

If you don't want a "rearrange the tiles" -type game, I would suggest Loopy Laboratory ($3) or Marple ($2). LL is not too difficult until near the end of the 50 levels. And I'm really surprised Marple hasn't gotten more press, since I definitely think it deserves it. It's a logic puzzler with 1 million unique puzzles and is very well done. It is also customizable to a certain extent.
10-26-2008, 03:24 AM
Puzzlemaniak have free lite versions of their games. The paid versions have more difficulty levels so if you find the lite versions too easy but still enjoyable, then you can purchase them for access to harder versions. And they also now sell a games pack that includes all their games (but I haven't purchased it as I already had some of their games).
10-26-2008, 03:40 AM
Yeah, I really enjoy some of the PuzzleManiak games. I bought 4 (Bridges, Loopy, Unequal, & Galaxies) and play Loopy and Galaxies a lot, Bridges occasionally, and Unequal not really at all. I hate sounding like a broken record, but I *love* randomly generated puzzles, as it provides a literally limitless supply of puzzles at the difficulty setting you choose. I've easily squeezed $10 worth out of Loopy and Galaxies.

I know there are issues with licensing, but I really wish more Nikoli games would be brought to the App Store with the same or a similar setup to the other PuzzleManiak games.
10-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Dont know if you would call this a "mindless" game but Tanzens always fun
10-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneWars View Post
Dont know if you would call this a "mindless" game but Tanzens always fun
Thanks for the plug, CloneWars! TanZen, with 315 puzzles is available for $0.99. There is also a free Lite version, with a number of sample puzzles to try.