★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gamebook Adventures iPad - UNIVERSAL! (Assassin on sale for $0.99)

12-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Gamebook Adventures iPad - UNIVERSAL! (Assassin on sale for $0.99)

Just wanted to drop by to let you know that Gamebook Adventures' debut on the iPad is not too far away now!

Follow us on the Tin Man Games blog and check out our latest Gamebook Adventures and Fighting Fantasy sites for links to our GA and FF apps!
12-07-2010, 07:06 AM
I can't wait!

12-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Really looking forwards to that two-page mode!

The iPhone-designed display was great, but after you've played the game a few times and know sections of the storyline by memory, six-page-long entries in the gamebooks sure felt like a pain to scroll through each time. Double page mode will fix all that. :3

The sliding character sheet thing sounds wonderful too!
12-07-2010, 02:12 PM
God this makes me wish I had a friggin' iPad.

@The Tin Man: any chance of having landscape functionality on the iPhone at any point in the future? That is something that I've always wished for, but assumed would be too much an ask. But seeing that it will work that way on iPad...

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
12-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Excellent news!!!
12-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
@The Tin Man: any chance of having landscape functionality on the iPhone at any point in the future? That is something that I've always wished for, but assumed would be too much an ask. But seeing that it will work that way on iPad...
There's no major reason we couldn't do this technically but the problem here is that the screen is simply too small on the iPhone. The text would either be large and spread across many, many pages or it would be actual size and be so small as to be almost impossible to read. The iPad gives us so much more room to breathe that we can do double page with ease.

Follow us on the Tin Man Games blog and check out our latest Gamebook Adventures and Fighting Fantasy sites for links to our GA and FF apps!
12-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
There's no major reason we couldn't do this technically but the problem here is that the screen is simply too small on the iPhone. The text would either be large and spread across many, many pages or it would be actual size and be so small as to be almost impossible to read.
If the text were the same size as in portrait mode would it muck things up? I do a lot of e-reading with my iPod Touch and I find that in landscape, which is what I use 90% of the time, the pages are a bit more spread out, but nothing too noticeable. Perhaps it's the layout or the presence of pictures that would cause the problems. In either case, I wouldn't mind more spread out pages...I just prefer to hold the device in landscape when I'm doing my night reading for some reason.

Edit: I think I see the problem--in landscape mode it goes to a 2 page format. Perhaps a setting to remain in a one page format in landscape mode would make it more feasible?

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
12-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Edit: I think I see the problem--in landscape mode it goes to a 2 page format. Perhaps a setting to remain in a one page format in landscape mode would make it more feasible?
I'm guessing you mean so you can scroll up and down the page? Otherwise the text would be tiny. It is feasible, but I'll be honest, we've not had that request before and I'm not sure how popular that would be to make it a cost-effective dev feature for us. If we have lots of requests for that though then I don't see why not.

12-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
I'm guessing you mean so you can scroll up and down the page? Otherwise the text would be tiny. It is feasible, but I'll be honest, we've not had that request before and I'm not sure how popular that would be to make it a cost-effective dev feature for us. If we have lots of requests for that though then I don't see why not.
Ah, well. As I said, I had thought of it before but figured it was a pretty big ask. I will continue to enjoy the series as is, but I guess it never hurts to throw an idea out.

So I spy the Revenant Rising gamebook up there in the screenshots. Will this be going live simultaneously with the iPad updates? And...how far away is "not too far away?"

12-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Quote:
So I spy the Revenant Rising gamebook up there in the screenshots. Will this be going live simultaneously with the iPad updates? And...how far away is "not too far away?"
Yes. Soon.