★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: First day iphone/itouch buys

10-26-2008, 02:36 AM
First day iphone/itouch buys

Got an itouch and decided to check out some of the games with a $50 itunes card i got. Bought SMB, you know, it's the big launch title, and it's supposed to be great and all. Played it, and it's more frustrating than anything i've ever done, real shocker. Anyone else got the first day finger itch and picked up this absolute dud?

Enigmo and fieldrunners turned out to be quite good games (can't wait for the fieldrunners update) but Cro-Mag was pretty crap. Got it for $13AUD and it's a racer with everything unlocked from the very start, doesn't show any records of you winning anything. No reward for effort at all, terrible game compared to what i could've got. Anyone else really regretted some choices?

Now looking to buy
Asphalt Elite Racing
Spore Origins
NFS: UC
Rolando
Simcity
Sims 3

Share ur experiences
10-26-2008, 03:08 AM
Well I can tell you that Spore is a game you'll play once and thn forget about it... Just get the lite version

10-26-2008, 03:16 AM
Signed Sealed Saint - if you are in Australia then the lite version of Spore is not available here.....

Like you I also got SMB and regretted it. And it cost me $AUD13. Ouch!

There are lots of great free games, demos of games and lite versions of games that you can try.

Also, if you see a game you are interested in then search the forums to see what other people think of the game before you buy it. And feel free to ask for opinions and feedback before you buy.

There are lots of fantastic games in the app store and hopefully we will soon start to see more "in depth" and diverse games soon.
10-26-2008, 04:03 AM
Of course, my first day itch:
Picoli ($4.99) <-- pretty useless
300 bowl ($1.99) <-- just not good
Cro-mag ($1.99) <-- rubbish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_mani View Post
Signed Sealed Saint - if you are in Australia then the lite version of Spore is not available here.....
you can always get a US iTunes account. It's free and easy.
10-26-2008, 05:04 AM
One awesome game you really should consider is South Park Imaginationland... It's one of my faves and is only about 2.20 or something on the Australian store at the moment I think.
You won't regret it, it's a clever puzzle sort of game
10-26-2008, 05:53 AM
I bought SMB and Enigmo for first day purchases. I still play Enigmo now and then but SMB has been put to the backburner.
Like someone else said, Spore is a play n forget game. At first I loved it, but the game gets abit boring by the 20th level.
I'm interested in NFS:UC to see how that pans out, and depending on results buy that or Asphalt.
For longevity, the app I've been playing most consistently is Texas Hold Em and MotionX Poker, not cos I'm a gambler, but they're just perfect for playing on the move.
10-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by signed sealed saint View Post
Got an itouch and decided to check out some of the games with a $50 itunes card i got. Bought SMB, you know, it's the big launch title, and it's supposed to be great and all. Played it, and it's more frustrating than anything i've ever done, real shocker. Anyone else got the first day finger itch and picked up this absolute dud?
I disagree after playing SMB for sometime you get use to the controls and its fun ive definitely gotten my 10 bucks worth
10-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Pick up Dizzy Bee if you want a great looking, fun puzzler. Also, grab Galcon, it's fantastic.

SMB is frustrating, but it's realistic. I got used to the controls even before the update came out, and it's advisable that you don't turn too violently. But, I don't play it that much now.
10-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by signed sealed saint View Post
At first I couldn't STAND monkey ball either, but trust me you DO get used to it. And after you do, it is a GREAT game. Would've payed 20 dollars for it!
10-26-2008, 11:50 AM
You should o get Asphalt now. It's by far the best racing game available.

Clusterball is good too. It just came out a couple days ago, but it has me pretty hooked.

Imangi and Galcon are musts buys.

Blue Skies, Burning Monkey Puzzle Lab, and Nanosaur, are all good and cheap.

Aurora Feint, Mazefinger, Space Buster, and rRootage are all free and a lot of fun.