★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: ngmoco, LLC
  • Genre: Music
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 18.4 MB
  • Version: 1.0.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Play along with your favorite music artists in WINtA the next step in music rhythm games on your iPhone and iPod touch. Re-inventing the genre made popular by Parappa the Rapper, WINtA provides a fun and natural way for you to tap along to your favorite songs while creating unique and addictive challenges at the same time.

NEW TRACKS ADDED REGULARY
From the App, you can get new songs or download free tracks from an ever-growing selection of artists! Each track that you download is custom designed, giving you a completely new game and visual experience. Check back every week for new artists and new free songs!

BACKGROUND
WINtA stands for War Is Not the Answer, and is the brainchild of famous Japanese game designer Masaya Mastuura, the inventor of the music game genre with his 1996 title Parappa the Rapper. WINtA re-invents this genre, and is an innovative new way of involving players in music and lyrics.

PLUS+
Join the Plus+ network to meet friends and compare scores using the Leaderboards! They are suited for each difficulty, so no matter if you're a beginner or a pro, you'll always be able to compete with others around the world. On top of that, you will be able to unlock all kinds of awards to further prove your skills in WINtA!

FOR A GOOD CAUSE
Ngmoco is working with the OneBigGame organization, a videogames industry charity initiative. Their mission is to bring together some of the most famous game designers and major development studios to create a number of unique games, specifically developed for OneBigGame, with the goal of helping children in need around the world.

For more information on OneBigGames initiative, please visit http://onebiggame.com.

NEWS AND SUPPORT
http://wintagame.com
http://support.ngmoco.com/

WINtA is best played on iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch (3rd Generation) or higher devices.

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

Quote:
Play along with your favorite music artists in WINtA the next step in music rhythm games on your iPhone and iPod touch. Re-inventing the genre made popular by Parappa the Rapper, WINtA provides a fun and natural way for you to tap along to your favorite songs while creating unique and addictive challenges at the same time.

NEW TRACKS ADDED REGULARY
From the App, you can get new songs or download free tracks from an ever-growing selection of artists! Each track that you download is custom designed, giving you a completely new game and visual experience. Check back every week for new artists and new free songs!

BACKGROUND
WINtA stands for War Is Not the Answer, and is the brainchild of famous Japanese game designer Masaya Mastuura, the inventor of the music game genre with his 1996 title Parappa the Rapper. WINtA re-invents this genre, and is an innovative new way of involving players in music and lyrics.

PLUS+
Join the Plus+ network to meet friends and compare scores using the Leaderboards! They are suited for each difficulty, so no matter if you're a beginner or a pro, you'll always be able to compete with others around the world. On top of that, you will be able to unlock all kinds of awards to further prove your skills in WINtA!

FOR A GOOD CAUSE
Ngmoco is working with the OneBigGame organization, a videogames industry charity initiative. Their mission is to bring together some of the most famous game designers and major development studios to create a number of unique games, specifically developed for OneBigGame, with the goal of helping children in need around the world.

For more information on OneBigGames initiative, please visit http://onebiggame.com.

NEWS AND SUPPORT
http://wintagame.com
http://support.ngmoco.com/

WINtA is best played on iPhone 3GS/iPod Touch (3rd Generation) or higher devices.
12-09-2010, 02:13 AM
First! I absolutely must play this one: I love rhythm games, and the fact that it's free doesn't hurt either.

Check out my video reviews!Click here

12-09-2010, 02:40 AM
Game Impressions

Ok, after playing the game, I have a really bad feeling that his is going to be the next Riddim Ribbon. Cool mechanics, but light on content and depth.

Basically, the goal of the game is to tap the squares when they fill up, like how EBA works, only in reverse. Each square that you hit offers a different word of the song that you are playing, and it's all sychronized to your taps: If you're off, it will sound off. After every line of the song, the arrangement of the squares changes, forcing you to adjust your tapping strategy. There are some squares that you can drag around to change the sound, and that's really all there is to the game.

I had a big red flag when NGMoco's name came up, however: They have become notorious for their penny-pinching freemium titles, and this is, unfortunately, no exception. Downloading the app only gets you ONE song, and it's a very... odd song to say the least. There are no free songs in the app store.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that this is the worst-valued music game on the app store to date It costs 99c for one song. That may seem reasonable at first, but then you realize that you can get TWO songs for the same price in a Tapulous game, and it all starts to look rather disappointing in comparison. Now, the profits do seem to be going twoards some sort of charity, which is nice if good-will is a factor in your purchases, or you just want to help out. Viewed solely as an iPhone rhythm game, it's unique, but has very little lasting power. I wouldn't stop anyone from downloading this, but neither would I give it an enthusiastic recommendation.

Check out my video reviews!Click here
12-09-2010, 03:56 AM
Game Impressions

Masaya Matsuura is a creative genius.

This man was dreaming up and producing indie-spirited games before anyone even knew what that meant. Vib-Ribbon redefined what video games could be, through its unprecedented use of music as it relates to gameplay and it's unique form of assemblage. A stark palette of raw innovation, presented in the simplest of forms, in what feels to the player like pure design automatism; a surrealist masterpiece, really. Anyone that thinks video games cannot be art are simply playing the wrong games.

Please download this game and give this brilliant designer a dollar for his worthwhile charity and for designing games such as PaRappa the Rapper that became the blueprint for modern-day rhythm gaming, as we know it.

Mr. Matsuura, if you are listening, you are a true pioneer in an industry with so few. We are indebted to you, sir.

Respect.

.djflippy

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
12-09-2010, 04:17 AM
Hi guys! Checking in as the developer on this game. We've been working with Matsuura-san and OneBigGame on this project for a long time now, and we're very happy with the results.

The unique aspect about the game is that each song will have it's own theme based on the artist or on the creativity of the designers. As mentioned before, for each purchase made in the App, a donation is made to the organisations supported by OneBigGame.

We'll be updating the WINtA store on a weekly basis, and updates for features are already underway. Your opion on our project is of great value to us so please share us your feedback :-)
12-09-2010, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remco View Post
Hi guys! Checking in as the developer on this game. We've been working with Matsuura-san and OneBigGame on this project for a long time now, and we're very happy with the results.

The unique aspect about the game is that each song will have it's own theme based on the artist or on the creativity of the designers. As mentioned before, for each purchase made in the App, a donation is made to the organisations supported by OneBigGame.

We'll be updating the WINtA store on a weekly basis, and updates for features are already underway. Your opion on our project is of great value to us so please share us your feedback :-)
Congratulations. The game is phenomenal; beautiful, diverse, and distinctly new. It's my favorite game on the app store right now and I'm delighted to hear that you're going to support it with fresh content.

Constructive feedback thus far:
  • It should be more obvious that the user can buy a song to play in the game and/or to just listen to in iTunes. I know it says "buy from iTunes", but with the designer's history of cleverly data-mining music, it was non-obvious.
  • The ads should be disabled when the user hits some pre-determined purchase threshold (I suggest $1, but I'm not your accountant). I bought all of the currently available tracks and I'm still staring at a hideous green Winblows ad.
  • The Rock Band-style audio hiccups when the player misses a note become pretty distracting. Perhaps that will be my impetus to improve, lol.
  • The included song makes it obvious which notes are whammies via the plus sign, but I was unsure on some of the other tracks. Maybe I was playing on the wrong difficulty, or some songs didn't have whammies, or both.
  • Matsuura-San's name is misspelled in the app description. Ouch. Be sure to tell him I say "Hi".
Thanks for the great game, but curse you for keeping me up until 2am!

Oh, and one more thing...you forgot to ship an iPad version simultaneously. Hope no one loses their job over that. No, seriously, I need an iPad version immediately. Quit trawling through forum posts from gushing fans and get back to work!

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
12-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
Congratulations. The game is phenomenal; beautiful, diverse, and distinctly new. It's my favorite game on the app store right now and I'm delighted to hear that you're going to support it with fresh content.
Thank you! We're trying to discover what people like in WINtA, and look for new artists who are able to contribute to the game. This means that over the following months, we'll be making a lot of adjustments.

Quote:
Constructive feedback thus far:
It should be more obvious that the user can buy a song to play in the game and/or to just listen to in iTunes. I know it says "buy from iTunes", but with the designer's history of cleverly data-mining music, it was non-obvious.
Good point, It never came across like that but now you mention it I can see how people could interpret it in multiple ways. A good solution might be just changing the tag on the button to 'Buy this song from iTunes".

Quote:
The ads should be disabled when the user hits some pre-determined purchase threshold (I suggest $1, but I'm not your accountant). I bought all of the currently available tracks and I'm still staring at a hideous green Winblows ad.
First, thanks for your support! Second, I suppose we could so something like hiding the tracks once a player has contributed to the cause. I think I'll propose this during our next meeting with the guys at OneBigGame.

Quote:
The Rock Band-style audio hiccups when the player misses a note become pretty distracting. Perhaps that will be my impetus to improve, lol.
Some of the samples are a bit too short, and on some devices it results in audio glitches. This will be fixed in the next release.

Quote:
The included song makes it obvious which notes are whammies via the plus sign, but I was unsure on some of the other tracks. Maybe I was playing on the wrong difficulty, or some songs didn't have whammies, or both.
Weither whammy buttons are used on a song is ultimately up to the designer. We encourage them to have a distinctive difference between normal buttons and whammy buttons. On what song do you think they could be improved?

Quote:
Matsuura-San's name is misspelled in the app description. Ouch. Be sure to tell him I say "Hi".
OUCH! That one goes directly to ngmoco Thanks for the heads-up.
Quote:
Thanks for the great game, but curse you for keeping me up until 2am!
I hope we'll be able to do so with our future tracks too!

Quote:
Oh, and one more thing...you forgot to ship an iPad version simultaneously. Hope no one loses their job over that. No, seriously, I need an iPad version immediately. Quit trawling through forum posts from gushing fans and get back to work!
We don't want to make just an 'HD' version and call it the iPad version. We have something very cool in store but we'll need some more time for that. In the meantime, download the game on your iPad anyway. Re-downloading purchased tracks is no problem :-)
12-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Masaya Mastuura is a genius and PaRappa the Rapper is the BEST rhythm game ever.
But ngmoco with their freemium shit really hit the mark.
For my part: I am done with that company.

I am just sorry for the developer.

TouchArcade Patreon - GameCenter: dyscoder -
12-09-2010, 11:00 AM
This game looks amazing, but I hate ngmoco because they have to make games freemium. I don't think I'll ever buy another ngmoco game again. I'd rather it be 20$ than have dlc. Sorry
12-09-2010, 02:49 PM
@dyscode and bmdino

You may have heard the expression, "Don't hate the player, hate the game"? In this case, a reasonable philosophy might be, "Don't hate the game, hate the player", because the freemium model exists, in large part, because the majority of app store patrons have an unwillingness to pay what a game is worth, even to cover development costs. That may not be you, specifically, but that's the problem the freemium model is meant to address, because it targets the minority of users who are willing to pay and multiple times. I responded here, because you posted here, but if you aren't interested in this game for that reason, then this is probably a discussion best kept to the discussion forums.

Last edited by djflippy; 12-09-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: SP