★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: 'Old School' adventure games?

03-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
'Old School' adventure games?

I was wondering if anybody can point me to some 'old school' adventure games. I tried searching the 'adventure' genre in the app store, but it contains everything except what I'm looking for.

So, what am I looking for exactly? Well, I'll list a few games that specify the genre: Monkey Island, Myst, Grim Fandango, King's Quest, but also stuff like the old Star Trek games where you had to fly around in the spacesaucer thingy and land on planets and get the redsuits killed.

Also, I'm not looking for the 3D shooters/RPG/level up thingies that are in the 'adventure' genre in the app store. I'm looking for the puzzle variety, the things that you play once, have a nice story, and give you satifsfaction but also a sad feeling once you've finished them.

Now, I would expect the iPhone to be an ideal device for these games, as they don't require immediate action and if you're stuck you can just quit and come back later. But as I said, I've been unable to find them. The only thing I could find are these games by CrazySoft (like 'The Final Battle - Adventure'), but these don't have the quality I'm looking for.
03-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I've wanted those games too... funny, I expected those to be the first games to become big on the app store... but that hasn't really happened... the only games I can think of for the iDevice are JakeHunter Seaside Mystery, JakeHunter Crash and Burn, 1112, and also Soul Trapper, which is an audio based adventure game...

None of these are really exactly the same as the point and click adventures like King's Quest, Space Quest, or Gabriel Knight etc...

But they're the closest I can think of...

03-20-2009, 09:22 PM
There is Mystery House (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=307511510&mt=8) kind of the original graphic Adventure game.

If you want Text adventures, you can also try Frotz (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=287653015&mt=8), but it sounds like you are more interested in graphic adventures.
03-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanigon View Post
Yeah, I've wanted those games too... funny, I expected those to be the first games to become big on the app store... but that hasn't really happened... the only games I can think of for the iDevice are JakeHunter Seaside Mystery, JakeHunter Crash and Burn, 1112, and also Soul Trapper, which is an audio based adventure game...

None of these are really exactly the same as the point and click adventures like King's Quest, Space Quest, or Gabriel Knight etc...

But they're the closest I can think of...
To be honest I think when Sierra changed the Kings Quest series from typing to point and click is where it went down hill for me.

I had a lot of fun back then typing away with a whole 4 colors on the screen.
03-20-2009, 09:53 PM
iMyst is being polished up now and is supposed to be released by the original developer, Cyan, soon. They are redeveloping the in-game movies to be full screen and from what I hear from the Myst online forums--by one of the beta testers--is that the game plays exactly like the original but better on the iPhone/iPod.

Here's a link to the latest Cyan newsletter with an update to iMyst (page 4): http://www.guildofmessengers.com/sit...ers/200902.pdf

Last edited by ponyboy; 03-20-2009 at 09:56 PM.
03-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad View Post
To be honest I think when Sierra changed the Kings Quest series from typing to point and click is where it went down hill for me.

I had a lot of fun back then typing away with a whole 4 colors on the screen.
I actually never played the parser interface games. I started gaming after point and click got started.

But yeah, I've heard it was a lot of fun to type in some question, and get a funny answer. adds a lot of humor...
03-20-2009, 10:01 PM
I've been looking for something like King's Quest myself. I'm currently playing Quest for Glory 2 (which is like KQ but with RPG elements) on my PC, but would love to see the entire saga ported to the iPhone... which is not likely to happen any time soon I suppose. Maybe some developers would want try and introduce that kind of gameplay approach for Apple users this time around.
03-20-2009, 10:03 PM
A port of Space Quest or Police Quest would be fun. Hey, even Dragon's Lair would be cool.

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!
03-20-2009, 10:07 PM
I would love to see HEROES QUEST ( AKA So you want to be a Hero) and Starflight ---- the best space game of its time. These are some great games.

Also the DARKSUN games by sierra --heck---all the old SIERRA games are good.

"e" TENNIS ---play this and you owe me $1
Look Right............................................. ........................Look Left
03-21-2009, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parranoya View Post
I would love to see HEROES QUEST ( AKA So you want to be a Hero) and Starflight ---- the best space game of its time. These are some great games.

Also the DARKSUN games by sierra --heck---all the old SIERRA games are good.
The Quest For Glory series would be awesome. Of course, I can't really think of a bad adventure game series that came from Sierra back in the day, at least in the initial few games of each series. Of course King's Quest was the best, and while I mostly agree with one poster about the text interface ones being better, I personally thought King's Quest VII was the best of the series. The story was hilarious, the animation was almost Disney quality, and it was actually quite a challenge (some of the older ones could be finished in an hour or two once you got past key parts).

I'm not too familiar with Darksun, though I didn't think that was Sierra (isn't that a D&D universe?)

As for the OP's question, I think arkanigon summed it up pretty well for you. There aren't a whole lot of offerings right now unless you want to jailbreak your device and run something like ScummVM or one of the sierra emulators. Here's a quick App Store list of "adventure" games:

Jake Hunter Seaside City
Jake Hunter Crash & Burn
Soul Trapper
Alternate Endings
The Odyssey: Trail Of Tears
Mystery House

As for Myst, I'm one of the "fine line" type of people that doesn't really consider that an adventure game since there is no interaction with NPCs. To me it's just a puzzle game where you have to walk to each of the puzzles. I know that's a fine distinction, but that's just my opinion on it.

I really hope more developers decide to make point and click style adventure games, because the iPhone is a good platform for it. In fact, it would be killer if someone could port something like Adventure Game Studio to the iPhone so that people could have a whole collection of games to play. Ah, the pipe dreams...

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre