★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why are developers moving away from old gen devices?

12-09-2010, 04:00 PM
#1
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Hey you, the one with the face!
Posts: 233
Why are developers moving away from old gen devices?

I have a 3rd gen 8gig iPod touch that I game on. The past two months or so I have noticed apps that are imcompatible with my device. Flash forward to today almost every new app that comes out is incompatible for whatever reason it may be. Personally im getting pretty pissed off. It hasnt even been a YEAR since I have had my device. I game on my iPod for fun, and thats going to stop all together soon due to the lack of developer support for older devices.

If I want to play some game with high end graphics I will game on my PS3. When im on the iPod I just want to play some high quality mobile games at afforadable prices. So why are developers forgetting about the older generations of devices? Do you not want our money? Im not about to go out and purchase a new $300 ipod or $500 ipad just to play your $1-10 priced games when I could turn on my PS3 and get a 100% better gaming experience without having to upgrade anything at all.

The problem is you keep on forgetting about us older gens. Graphics are good eye candy sure but it does not make a game great. If you want a great game you have to have gameplay. It just makes no sense at all why developers are ignoring the older gens and making no effort to make the apps compatable with our devices. All they are doing is loosing $. Eventually I will go out and get a new iDevice but honestly im not spending $300 to play your $5 game LOL thats a joke!
12-09-2010, 04:03 PM
#2
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,255
Same reason why Call of Duty 4 doesn't run or wasn't ported to the NES. Technology moves forward and in the mobile space a little faster than the average.

Also if I remember correctly the 8g ipod touch was never a true 3rd gen device, that was a misinterpretation of the 3rd gen lineup by users failed comprehension of the spec shit on the Apple site. http://support.apple.com/kb/SP570

So really the device you own is 2 generations back, which might exasperate your frustration even further.

Last edited by Cilo; 12-09-2010 at 04:11 PM.

12-09-2010, 04:07 PM
#3
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 437
Because they're old. Look I'm on a 2G so I understand your complaints, but they're doing what they have to so that their game looks great and plays as smoothly as possible. Developers need money, people aren't buying 2Gs and 3Gs in mass amounts anymore, people are buying 4Gs and that trend will continue. You've got to develop to the newest tech and that's what they're doing. I know there are still a lot of 2G and 3G owners out there, but as every day passes those numbers will decline and developing your game toward a declining market isn't a good idea.
12-09-2010, 04:08 PM
#4
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: On the internet.
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by socom39 View Post
I have a 3rd gen 8gig iPod touch that I game on. The past two months or so I have noticed apps that are imcompatible with my device. Flash forward to today almost every new app that comes out is incompatible for whatever reason it may be. Personally im getting pretty pissed off. It hasnt even been a YEAR since I have had my device. I game on my iPod for fun, and thats going to stop all together soon due to the lack of developer support for older devices.

If I want to play some game with high end graphics I will game on my PS3. When im on the iPod I just want to play some high quality mobile games at afforadable prices. So why are developers forgetting about the older generations of devices? Do you not want our money? Im not about to go out and purchase a new $300 ipod or $500 ipad just to play your $1-10 priced games when I could turn on my PS3 and get a 100% better gaming experience without having to upgrade anything at all.

The problem is you keep on forgetting about us older gens. Graphics are good eye candy sure but it does not make a game great. If you want a great game you have to have gameplay. It just makes no sense at all why developers are ignoring the older gens and making no effort to make the apps compatable with our devices. All they are doing is loosing $. Eventually I will go out and get a new iDevice but honestly im not spending $300 to play your $5 game LOL thats a joke!
Because people want higher quality games, and to handle those higher quality games, be it graphics or just many things going on in the game, we need better gaming rigs... that's all. I know it sucks but thats life...

Ipad - 64 GB - 5.0.1 / Iphone4S - 32 GB - 5.0.1
GameCenter - Abisco79
12-09-2010, 04:15 PM
#5
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,175
I've got a 1st Gen. Odds are the games that are compatible with my device lag like hell now. Your just unlucky that you got your iPod 1 B.R (Years Before Retina).

And to keep with these analogies
It's the same reason why Avatar wasn't released on VCR for the old folks who don't have a DVD player

Occasional Reviewer on ThePortableGamer
Official Reviewer on Razorianfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Space Girl
It was like the other day I went to MarthaStewart.com's forums for advice on how to program my new T-89 graphing calculator and well, let's just say no one there was very helpful.
12-09-2010, 04:22 PM
#6
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: 31.560499, -111.904128
Posts: 7,471
I think the stage we are in will not last too long, by this I mean our mobile technology is getting old, relatively quickly, but I think in the near future the curve will begin to flatten out. When we get iPhones/iPods to the level where they have massive screen resolutions and can handle current gen console/PC games then I think that will be the new standard for a while before we move on. I realise that technology in general is growing at an exponential rate, but I think portable gaming (if not all gaming) will stall momentarily, while people try to figure out some new way of gaming that doesn't require screens or controllers (most likely through the brain).

Hakuna Matata
12-09-2010, 04:22 PM
#7
Whats funny is sony thinks we want to play a ps3 on the go will releaae a really expensive psp2 with ps3 graphics.
12-09-2010, 04:31 PM
#8
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: 31.560499, -111.904128
Posts: 7,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirolak26 View Post
Whats funny is sony thinks we want to play a ps3 on the go will releaae a really expensive psp2 with ps3 graphics.
I counted 4 assumptions, 3 of them are wild (prize for anyone who guesses them correctly).

Hakuna Matata

Last edited by LBG; 12-09-2010 at 04:34 PM.
12-09-2010, 05:00 PM
#9
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Hey you, the one with the face!
Posts: 233
It is true that technology is moving forward, that I agree with.

I dont see how you can compare this to COD4 not being on the NES for example the changes are very minor between generations of iPods. Hell you cant even compare it with a PS1 getting upgraded to a PS2.

I see it more as a regular donut getting sprinkles on top of it. The iPod 1st gen is the same as a 4th with some decent graphical enhancements thats it. Sure it has other improvements but the technology is pretty much the same. You still play your 4th gen iPods the same way as gen 1, 2 and 3.
12-09-2010, 05:10 PM
#10
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by socom39 View Post
It is true that technology is moving forward, that I agree with.

I dont see how you can compare this to COD4 not being on the NES for example the changes are very minor between generations of iPods. Hell you cant even compare it with a PS1 getting upgraded to a PS2.

I see it more as a regular donut getting sprinkles on top of it. The iPod 1st gen is the same as a 4th with some decent graphical enhancements thats it. Sure it has other improvements but the technology is pretty much the same. You still play your 4th gen iPods the same way as gen 1, 2 and 3.
It was an exaggerated example that I agree, but comparing it to a donut with sprinkles, that's as far fetched as can be. And if the technology was pretty much the same do you think developers would say their game can't run on an older device? People take these things so personally.

Last edited by Cilo; 12-09-2010 at 05:19 PM.