★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Hi! We're Backabit. Here's our game Ramps!

12-09-2010, 04:08 PM
#1
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 82
Hi! We're Backabit. Here's our game Ramps!

Hey guys,

I've been perusing these forums for quite a while and periodically posting. My business partner and I just founded our new indie dev company, Backabit, and we're really excited to formally introduce ourselves to you today and show you a preview of our upcoming title Ramps.

Ramps is a beautiful, fast-paced physics puzzler with 100 levels, 300 challenges and addictive, dynamic gameplay.

The concept is simple: Position and rotate your ramps, tap the dispenser, and if all works out, get your ball into the cup. Things get interesting though as numerous obstacles are poisted to stand in your way. Obstacles like blood-thirsty robot piranha, nefarious, snow-ball-chucking penguins and many more!

I'd love to hear your feedback on how the game looks and is shaping out, as well as our approach to promo materials. We've put a ton of time, energy and love into this, and we're not afraid to hear constructive feedback (we're calling you out, Mr. Ugly. Bring it!).

Ramps is currently under review by Apple and will hopefully be available next week.

It has full retina display support, full Game Center integration with Leaderboards and Achievements, and a 3 - 5 hour play-through time for hardcore gamers.

Website: http://playramps.com

Here's our trailer, which is also on our website: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKCRB3J3V1w

Thanks, and your feedback is greatly appreciated!










12-09-2010, 04:48 PM
#2
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2elan View Post
I'd love to hear your feedback on how the game looks and is shaping out, as well as our approach to promo materials. We've put a ton of time, energy and love into this, and we're not afraid to hear constructive feedback (we're calling you out, Mr. Ugly. Bring it!).

lol.. sup with me? you guys do your stuff as you wish hehe


the first thing i noticed is that your screenshots are not very descriptive..

the art is nice and clean (possible a bit too clean).. but the screenies don't tell me anything about how the actual game is played..

thoose 5 screenshots you have on itunes are the second biggest selling ooportunity you have after your icon..

none of your "slogans" tell me anything about the actualy game.. nor does the image tell me much..

then i checked out the video.. and its nicely done but again.. its hard for me to tell what i actualy have todo in the game.. you show the scene with the robot for a very short time.. and if you don't know to expect to read something is gone by .. and the res shows some nice animations etc. but i still could not really say how the games plays..

you have some special abilities i assume but you don't say anything about this etc.

so while the game looks nice (a bit sterile) you don't communicate enough what the game is actualy about..

12-09-2010, 04:53 PM
#3
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 82
Great feedback man, I appreciate it. We'll take a look at these and see how we can better incorporate more descriptive captions for the screenshots.

I totally see your point with the tutorial portion of the video being sped-through. I was torn with this as it seemed like it may be more compelling to jump straight to the action.

Perhaps I'll compromise and slow that part down just a touch so that the concept is at least a bit more digestable.

Thanks again, this is really helpful! And nothing personal with regards to picking on you, you just speak your mind a lot so I figured you could take it.
12-09-2010, 05:40 PM
#4
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2elan View Post
Great feedback man, I appreciate it. We'll take a look at these and see how we can better incorporate more descriptive captions for the screenshots.

I totally see your point with the tutorial portion of the video being sped-through. I was torn with this as it seemed like it may be more compelling to jump straight to the action.

Perhaps I'll compromise and slow that part down just a touch so that the concept is at least a bit more digestable.

Thanks again, this is really helpful! And nothing personal with regards to picking on you, you just speak your mind a lot so I figured you could take it.

well why not just overlay the robot with his text bubbles over actual gameplay? so you still have the "action" and have the "descriptions"..

the robot could explain whats going on in the background... if you even get it voiced over that would be the topping on the cake.. (if its a good voice over)

should be not that hard on the compositing... not sure about the sound part.



and no i don't mind any picking.. i actualy don't really care.. you can call me names all day long
12-09-2010, 06:40 PM
#5
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 659
I think the 3rd screenshot with the arms is the best. You should put that one first because it looks the most interesting.
12-21-2010, 09:26 AM
#6
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 82
Just wanted to update to let you all know that Ramps is now live in the App Store!

Here's the official TA thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=77860

RAMPS!! Previously iPhone Game of the Week on the App Store.
"... a simple and stylish physics puzzler that you won't want to put down." - Apple

COMING 10/11/12: Lotsa Blocks!

http://lotsablocks.com
12-21-2010, 12:05 PM
#7
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2elan View Post
Just wanted to update to let you all know that Ramps is now live in the App Store!

Here's the official TA thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=77860
Congrats. Let us know how sales go for you!