★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Games keep running on the background?

07-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Games keep running on the background?

Hi,

Since I installed a few games and apps, my iphone usage and standby information it's the same (16hrs of usage/ 16hrs of standby)...and my battery is running out very very quickly, and I don't get pushed email since other aplication is already using the background... I gues that's why

I have installed the folowing apps on my iphone, Is anybody with the same apps and the same problem?

1.-Remote
2.-SportsTap
3.-Facebook
4.-Aurora Feint
5.-TapTap Revenge
6.-Othello
7.-Jirbo Says
8.-Jirbo Match
9.-Carrie's Dots
10.-Labyrinth LE

I appreciate any help
07-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grfelix View Post
Hi,

Since I installed a few games and apps, my iphone usage and standby information it's the same (16hrs of usage/ 16hrs of standby)...and my battery is running out very very quickly, and I don't get pushed email since other aplication is already using the background... I gues that's why

I have installed the folowing apps on my iphone, Is anybody with the same apps and the same problem?

1.-Remote
2.-SportsTap
3.-Facebook
4.-Aurora Feint
5.-TapTap Revenge
6.-Othello
7.-Jirbo Says
8.-Jirbo Match
9.-Carrie's Dots
10.-Labyrinth LE

I appreciate any help
Nothing is allowed to run in the backround. Apple made sure of that. When you exit a program it saves the instance to the harddrive so you can resume where you left off. That being said, having a bunch of save states could effect battery life.

I currently have a jailbroken 1st gen iphone with 16 legit apps and 3 "illegal" apps and haven't noticed to big a hit.

Don't forget that the type of game effects your battery life too. AF is very graphic intensive as is TTR, Labyrinth uses the accelerometer which is calibrated to be VERY sensitive (the jailbroken version used to eat up quite a bit of battery power)

hope that helps!

07-27-2008, 06:25 PM
I believe I read somewhere that someone said to prevent save states and anything running in the background to hold down the Home button for a few seconds and release. I can't say for sure whether this is true or not.

I did notice that MotionX Poker seemed to have ran my battery down one time, but until someone who knows for a fact can state whether or not this is all true, I'm in the same boat as you.
07-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
I believe I read somewhere that someone said to prevent save states and anything running in the background to hold down the Home button for a few seconds and release. I can't say for sure whether this is true or not.
Holding the home button is a "Force Quit" command. The app quits on the spot (REALLY useful for when an app freezes or is lagging). Because you are forcing the app to quit it doesn't create a save state.

I was on a site not too long ago that said that it stopped apps from running in the back ground which is totally false. I think engadget or tuaw linked to it. However, force quitting does make it appear that an app has ended and is starting fresh so it's understandable.

no third party apps are allowed to run in the background if you get them through the app store. Apple makes sure of it so battery life isn't affected.

The apple's apps that do run in the background are phone, mail, text, ipod, clock (for the alarms), and calendar (not notices). I believe everything else uses save states.
07-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Having multiple game states will not impact battery life. The actual process of writing out state will obviously take up some (negligible) power, but this will be significantly less than that taken up by actually running the game/app.

Also note that state is not automatically saved when you exit a game. The program gets a notification when it's about to be terminated and has the option to save its state. Not all games do this.

In my experience, games that make the heaviest use of 3D will drain your battery the quickest.
07-28-2008, 03:59 PM
For me the thing that drains my battery the most is having Location Services turned on under the iPhone's General Settings (I have an original generation iPhone with the 2.0 firmware).
07-28-2008, 07:08 PM
If you really want to save on battery life, I recommend turning off Look for Wifi in the settings. Most of the time you know when you're in a hotspot and can login manually when you are.
07-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Damn you motionx poker That thing really hits the battery.

Short of turning the phone off, which you don't want to do of course, I've done this and it helps:

1) Turn 3G off (Im always in a wifi area anyway... edge works for maps fine if Im out-and-about).
2) Turn push off (also, select "advanced" at the bottom of the push settings and turn push off on your email). I use fetch on 15 minutes, but thats just my preference.
3) Bluetooth is off
4) auto-brightness. Maybe its my imagination, but this seems to help a little.

With these settings I can play a decent amount of games and listen to several hours of music, and use of my phone for about 10 hrs a day.

-d

--
Hanging out in Sector 7G
07-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Having a game paused in the background runs the battery down

I have noticed that when I am playing Solitaire City if I pause a game and then turn off the iphone then the battery will be very quickly depleted. Some processing drain seems to happen in the background.

BTW Solitaire City is a superb game! The best card game I have found so far on the iphone. I just keep playing it. The tutorial help means that I am learning new games as well.

Cheers

Richard
07-29-2008, 10:24 AM
I don't understand why turning Push off would improve the battery life. I thought Push meant that data was only sent or received when needed, ie. when you make a change to contacts or your calendar. Also, Push mail means the mail server pushes mail to you only when it arrives, kind of like when you get an SMS message. So if you have no mail coming in then no data is being sent. On the other hand, setting it to check every 15 minutes uses up data and battery life even if there are no messages to download.

Am I wrong about this?