★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Chip 8 emulator

03-21-2009, 04:47 AM
Chip 8 emulator

Have you guys seen this:

Chip 8 emulator.

App store link

Free, so I had a look.It's not under the games category, but goes under "Entertainment" category. It plays a list of roms including Snake, Tetris, Pong and some other LED type games. Controls are sluggish and crappy though. The rom names are a bit messed up and not displaying correctly.
03-21-2009, 06:06 PM
I think it's actually pretty cool. Yeah, it's a bit sluggish to respond, but from the look of things it's probably a port, and not well optimized for the iPhone either so he probably isn't allowing much time to poll for input. Still, considering this is probably the only emulator we're ever going to see on the iPhone (unless the Sinclair ZX81 IP has been released to the public domain too) I'll take what I can get.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko

03-21-2009, 06:14 PM
ZodtTD anyone?
03-21-2009, 06:38 PM
I can't get onto itunes...I was wondering if they ported "ant" onto the emulator?
03-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Very buggy, but also very cool.
03-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monopoly View Post
ZodtTD anyone?
This isn't a Zod joint. and don't count on seeing any of his emulators. The Chip-8 platform and all software that runs under it is public domain, which is why it passed Apple's testing and made it to the App Store. To the best of my knowledge, Chip-8 is the only platform that gained any sort of notoriety (however small) that's public domain and therefore freely emulated on every platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverightangles111 View Post
I can't get onto itunes...I was wondering if they ported "ant" onto the emulator?
No, unfortunately that one is missing, along with Track & Field. The rest appear to be there though, at least compared to my desktop ROM collection for the Chip-8.

03-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
This isn't a Zod joint. and don't count on seeing any of his emulators. The Chip-8 platform and all software that runs under it is public domain, which is why it passed Apple's testing and made it to the App Store. To the best of my knowledge, Chip-8 is the only platform that gained any sort of notoriety (however small) that's public domain and therefore freely emulated on every platform.
Some of the really old ROMs that Zod ported onto his emulators actually lost their copyright over time, so even though the emulator itself is illegal to download, it is legal downloading some old ROMs.
03-21-2009, 08:55 PM
ya aren't emulators illegal

Current faves:UniWar,Glyder, Assasin's Creed, Wolfenstein,Zenonia(beta testing)
☻/ my review site:cheatcodes4chicos
/▌reviewer at: appmania
/ \ There you go rocketman I've moved on from hobocity
03-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverightangles111 View Post
Some of the really old ROMs that Zod ported onto his emulators actually lost their copyright over time, so even though the emulator itself is illegal to download, it is legal downloading some old ROMs.
Only if the ROMs are public domain or the copyright holders have explicitly relinquished their IP rights. No ROMs that were copyrighted have "lost their copyright over time" yet considering the duration of copyright exists for 70 years from the date of publication (17 U.S.C. 302) and the oldest commercially available video game (Computer Space) is only 28 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferi22 View Post
ya aren't emulators illegal
And to both of you: Emulators are not illegal! I don't know where this idea came from but it's bunk. Emulators are perfectly legal. They're just a piece of software that, on their own, do nothing of use. It's the software that runs on the emulators that is illegal if it is still protected by copyright. The the BIOS images and system ROM images may also be infringing if they too are still protected by copyright unless someone took the time to write their own compatible firmware image (such as with a few PSX emulators.)

Such a PSX emulator, for example, with its custom, compatible BIOS image, distributed with only public domain ROMs is perfectly and completely legal to use, distribute, or do whatever the hell you want with under the terms of the developer's TOS. But not if it includes a copyrighted BIOS image or copyrighted games.

The Atari Jaguar's BIOS and all games were released to the public domain by Atari (Infogrames) about 5 years ago, too, so that's another perfectly legal emulator -- though the iPhone doesn't have nearly enough muscle to run it.

Last edited by Mindfield; 03-21-2009 at 09:46 PM.