★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Do people who get promo codes review games honestly and fairly?

03-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Do people who get promo codes review games honestly and fairly?

Hello,

Please don't hate me I just wonder when I'm reading reviews for games in
the App Store if certain reviews might be biased, perhaps based on someone getting a promo code and not paying for the game. I know that the people on this forum are very knowledgeable when it comes to Iphone/Touch games and respect their opinions and sometimes have bought a game based on a forum discussion. I'm sure that most people who get promo codes are honest about giving a review based soley on gameplay. Guess I'm just feeling a bit clueless in terms of wondering if I can believe some of the 4 or 5 star reviews for certain games and then look at other 1 or 2 star reviews and wonder what to believe? I realize that each person may have a different playing experience with a game just wasn't sure if some people might really want to make sure people buy the game and perhaps not be fully truthful if they didn't have a promo code.

I've only made a few posts (like my namesake says very shy person) so forgive me if this is in the wrong area to post this.

Thanks
shygamer
03-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Most people don't get promo codes for reviews on the AppStore. They get codes for reviews on sites / blogs.

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95

03-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys95 View Post
Most people don't get promo codes for reviews on the AppStore. They get codes for reviews on sites / blogs.
Agree although my site has been very unsuccessful at getting promo codes directly, so we usually only make the review in the appstore. And I wouldn't trust reviews with promo codes.

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
03-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Send a message via MSN to Sierra275
Well, sometimes I wonder the same thing as well. I've never used a promo code; I don't live in the US. But when if I buy a really good game, I make it a point to put down a review. I generally don't buy sucky paid games coz I read reviews first.

As for the main question, I think it's really hard to tell. I'm fairly sure that most people would give honest reviews. The odd one or two who are a bit more biased and probably just that. I mean, if you see a lot of 1-star reviews and suddenly a 5 star pops up, and TouchArcade and PocketGamer say it sucks, then it should be pretty obvious. Also, generally the screenshots are a good indication of what a game is like, but don't trust them all the time, e.g Flying Stunts (or whatever it's name is).

Sierra275 on Gameloft Live, Openfeint, Gamecenter, and most other social gaming networks on the iTouch.
03-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo19 View Post
Agree although my site has been very unsuccessful at getting promo codes directly, so we usually only make the review in the appstore. And I wouldn't trust reviews with promo codes.
Yep. +1, on both points. Usually (although not always) reviews for promo codes are paid reviews, or people who write a good/fake review cause they take pity.

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95
03-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys95 View Post
Yep. +1, on both points. Usually (although not always) reviews for promo codes are paid reviews, or people who write a good/fake review cause they take pity.
One of the reasons people don't check out reviews in the appstore, I don't anymore, the screen-shots and description usually reveal more about the game than the actual reviews.

P.S: Does anybody look at the reviews of igirl just to see if somebody makes a funny? it's got 9535 reviews, one of them needs to be funny! and it is in the top paid list, it's just crazy, its even worse than iFart!

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
03-21-2009, 10:34 AM
First off let me address the "don't hate me" sentence in your beginning post. This is directed more to my fellow TA members.
To me these words are reflective of how some people think when wanting to post nowadays. I believe some newcomers are very wary/afraid to even post now because of some of the receptions that have been witnessed in regards to posting. I agree some are repetitive but how we treat those people initially makes people with valid questions not want to post or very wary of doing so. It is so common now to get a quick, curt, rude, obnoxious, or totally unrelated response/comment within the first couple posts (if not the 1st one) especially when its from a newbie. Now we're seeing/reading outright threats and verbal attacks taking place. Hope it doesn't become the norm. Arn will be busy closing/locking alot of threads if so. Just think we need to be a little more friendlier in directing/suggesting the alternatives and above all........be patient. Sorry....but had to speak up on this. (present company (so far) excluded from within this thread)

As for the reviews on iTunes I will read them but a good suggestion (which I use) is look at their review profile history by clicking onto their name. You can then see if they are a legit source in their reviews (or not). Normally I can tell if they are pretty honest/unbiased by the multiply reviews they have listed. I've been given a few promo codes and the tendency does want to sway you to make a better review. I have not done this and keep an honest/unbiased review because that is what I would like to read as well. But just saying that the potential is there and believe the practice is done. Good in-depth reviews are in the minority on iTunes and suggest coming to TA for better game references and reveiws and to other gaming sites with reviews as well.

Last edited by Coldar; 03-21-2009 at 10:39 AM.
03-21-2009, 10:45 AM
At the sites I review, a ok of time I recieve promo codes for them, because when you do 1 a day, you can't be expected to buy them all. However, I do buy some bigger apps I really want like Lets Gold and Oregon Trail, and I review them too. I don't base my review of price, I just play through them normally, and in the end I might add a tidbit on how great of a value the game is.
03-21-2009, 10:50 AM
I would probbably say that when I get a promo code I am a little biased even when I am not trying to I have a feeling every reveiwer feels a little unknowingly biased fir games they get promo codes for

Current faves:UniWar,Glyder, Assasin's Creed, Wolfenstein,Zenonia(beta testing)
☻/ my review site:cheatcodes4chicos
/▌reviewer at: appmania
/ \ There you go rocketman I've moved on from hobocity
03-21-2009, 10:52 AM
I think people who don't get promo codes will be more likely to simply point out what could be improved in the game and then leave. People who get promo codes will also point out the good things and maybe give a rating that's a star higher than they'd usually give. Anyway I think a person should always say in the review that he has gotten a promo code, if that's the case.

Stefan