★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Wordology Lite

03-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Wordology Lite

Thought to mention this lite version. It got me to purchase the full. Yea....it's $3 (full version) but its a well polished word game and think its worth it. Normally don't like timers but this one is balanced well enough that it makes for a good word game. Nice little sound effects too.

http://appshopper.com/games/wordology-lite
http://appshopper.com/games/wordology
03-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Thank you. Is there an untimed mode? I really don't like timed games but I will check this out since you said it's balanced.

03-21-2009, 01:22 PM
My review at the app store for the full version is "pct1818". As I mentioned there, there is (thankfully!) an untimed mode, BUT it creates what I think might be it's fatal flaw. When there are no words left to make, nothing happens. Since there is no timer to run out, you just sit there. I guess you can manually quit or try to make some non-words to intentionally lose the rest of your lives, but this is so unintuitive and, frankly, annoying.

Am I missing something or is this really an oversight? The game looks beautiful, but I've hardly played it because it's annoying having to worry if I'm going to end up staring at a brick wall with NO prompt or further instructions.

I understand if the impetus is on us not to paint ourselves into such a corner, BUT the consequences should be clearly defined. If the game is over, OK, but a "Game Over" pop up might not be asking for too much.
03-21-2009, 01:35 PM
I agree that when you can't make any more words your left just hanging and would nice if at least it said something like *game over*. But its still a pretty nice game for me to play and try to be a little more savvy in conserving my vowels for later use........reminds me of the way I play WordJong actually.
03-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩 View Post
Thank you. Is there an untimed mode? I really don't like timed games but I will check this out since you said it's balanced.
I'm not much for timed word games myself but you can make plenty of words that keep the 30 sec timer almost full. Can enter 3 word min if want to keep the timer almost full. I found some timed games are just too fast (30+ words in 2 mins?....right!) but this seems to work well within the game and your not fighting a hectic game beating a clock but adding yourself some time with each word. Theres some pressure to the game but just enough to make it fun not hectic.
03-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldar View Post
I agree that when you can't make any more words your left just hanging and would nice if at least it said something like *game over*. But its still a pretty nice game for me to play and try to be a little more savvy in conserving my vowels for later use........reminds me of the way I play WordJong actually.
Ya looks a lot like WordJong to me, downloaded the lite havent tried it yet though.
03-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldar View Post
Yeah, I was also reminded of WordJong, but the difference is that in WordJong you can keep undo-ing until you are able to finish.

Overall, I agree it's a really nicely put together game that I otherwise recommend.
03-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Hey Guys, I'm Dave, the lead developer at Cerebral Gardens who made Wordology. First, I'm glad you liked it, and we really do appreciate the reviews you gave on the iTunes store, as well as here.

As mentioned above, there is an untimed mode, and actually, you may be interested to know that the timed modes were actually a late stage addition. Originally, we wanted people to be able to take their sweet time, crafting out really long words, but as a test, added a timer, and it just seemed to make it a lot more fun for many of our testers. We actually found people either loved, or hated the timer. So we went with both options, and added a quick timer, and a slow timer, trying to make nearly everyone happy. I personally hate timed word games as you state above, making 30 words in 2 minutes is insane. We made it so that the timer reset each time you made a word, so you could still play one game for a very long time.

Next, when you run out vowels, yes, the game leaves you hanging. We wanted people to realized that part of the strategy involved using your vowels accordingly, making sure you have some left for the end stages of the level. Plus, a major factor in not testing to see if there were any possible words remaining, was due to us not wanting to drain the phone's battery during a word game. However, that being said, we have a solution now that should work, without killing the battery. And so, we will most likely add that feature during an update.

Anyway, again, thanks for the comments, we definitely appreciate them, and listen.
03-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Welcome to TA Dave/CerebralGardens
Thanks for stopping in and for the insight and comments to your game. Yea, I conserve on the vowels for later use within the game and makes it more challenging and extends play time. Glad you made the lite to try and reason for my purchase of the full. Consider it a premium game that's one of the best of word games. Wordology and Bookworm are the two I've been jumping between for the past couple days. The timer is set at exactly the right pace too (when using it) and like the extended time per word. Keeps the game going longer. I anticipate playing this for a long time. Again.........great game!

Last edited by Coldar; 03-23-2009 at 11:29 PM.
03-23-2009, 11:34 PM
I really liked the lite version, thought it was better then WordJong which I have and feels a little bit like it but different with more too it. Haven't purchased it yet but its one of 3 word games thats on my list to possibly buy...Bookworm and Wordsworth being the other two. I have a few other word games I'm playing at the moment though.