★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Hanto favorite strategy hidden gem of all time

03-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Hanto favorite strategy hidden gem of all time

Hanto $1 has zoom pinch gestures. Undo if you wish. Has Easy AI to and Hard AI to play against (5 levels of AI). Try not to undo though cuz you'll never learn how to play the game well. When I play my wife hive games took 5 mins when we first started now since we are both pretty good games last 20 to 30 mins. Hanto you can play 2 players on same idevice and when it's 2nd players turn their pieces are oriented towards them so you don't have to flip around idevice and add pieces from their side (top of screen). Strategy game this is easily one of my favorites like I mentioned before. So excited to be able to play this one iphone.

Object of the game is to completely surround the opponent's Butterfly with your pieces or even some of opponents pieces. Each piece can only move a certain way.

For those in the know and who know the game Hive this is all you need to know.
Butterfly = Queen Bee
Crab = Beetle
Crane = Ant
Horse = Spider
Dove = Grass Hopper

For those who don't know Hive it's one of my top 10 boardgames of all time.

This screenshot is me playing it on http://www.boardspace.net/english/index.shtml If you wanna try it just use Guest login (java game) and play against the Dumbbot AI or online opponent. Do dumbbot though if just learning the game.

Yes I love Hive so much. Here is me playing it in a park in Japan in the year 2006.

Last edited by mrbass; 03-21-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: 5 levels of AI not 2...my bad
03-21-2009, 12:12 PM
How old are you?! I pictured you A LOT older

Don't check this site or private messages often.

03-21-2009, 12:15 PM
I am three years older than in that photo. So yes a lot older now. Anyway definitely try Hive online and if you can get into it get Hanto you'll love the strategy.
03-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
I am four years older than in that photo. So yes a lot older now. Anyway definitely try Hive online and if you can get into it get Hanto you'll love the strategy.
You look 15 in that photo

Don't check this site or private messages often.
03-21-2009, 01:07 PM
I had eyed this when it was on the TA new release page.
It looked really good, but I didn't quite understand how it played.
I have a much better idea after your post, so I'm going to nab it.
03-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Quote:
I am three years older than in that photo. So yes a lot older now. Anyway definitely try Hive online and if you can get into it get Hanto you'll love the strategy.
Nice response..."three years older than in that photo". Had me laughing

I'm going to pick this up. Thanks for the explanation on the rules of the game.

Last edited by Big Albie; 03-21-2009 at 01:11 PM.
03-21-2009, 01:09 PM
great written thread, thanks mrbass.
03-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Here's my review on itunes which hopefully gives you more in depth into some of the rules.

Hanto is an extremely strategic 2 player game. Learning the game is easy. Just refer to the quick reference (available during a game) to see how pieces move. When you hold down a piece to move it'll show you possible move locations so it's easy to learn but really hard to master. Only few more rules you need to know
1) is all pieces must be connected at all times
2) must place butterfly by fourth turn
3) can't move pieces till butterfly is placed
4) can't move within blocked area although crab or crane can jump in those areas
5) crab can jump on top of a creature. No height limit. Only crabs ca jump on top to trap though.

Object is to completely surround the opponents Butterfly. Sounds simple but it isn't as once all pieces are placed on board things really get interesting. You need to play defensively as well as offensively. Trap their pieces from moving (hint see rule #1) also smack your crab on their cranes. During your turn you can either place a new piece into play or move an existing piece (see rule #3)

Each player has 1 butterfly, 2 crabs, 2 horses, 3 cranes, and 3 doves. Once all pieces are placed just move pieces.
- butterfly moves 1 space
- crab moves 1 space but can jump on top and trap other pieces
- horse moves exactly 3 spaces NOT any less (probably weakest piece in game)
- crane moves unlimited amount of spaces (one of the most powerful pieces in game)
- dove flies unlimited amount of spaces over other creatures but must stop at first empty space.

Five different Artificial Intelligence Levels to pit yourself against. 2 human players on same idevice is possible and the pieces will be facing their direction so no need to flip idevice around. Beautiful graphics make this classic a winner. If your into strategic games this should be high on your list. You can play java game free at boardspace.net under the name Hive.

Last edited by mrbass; 03-21-2009 at 01:18 PM.
03-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Quote:
4) can't move within blocked area although crab or crane can jump in those areas
I believe you meant crab or dove.
Really interesting game. The strategy is far deeper than it appears at first glance.
I've only played one game, on easy AI. Interestingly the AI was thrashing me and about to win until I locked a piece he had just placed on the board with a crane (he couldn't move that piece because it was the only one connecting my crane to the rest of the pieces and no piece can be separated). At that point the AI seemed to get sidetracked and allowed me to capture his butterfly.

There is a comprehensive set of 17 instruction screens that explain the game well.
03-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Thank you for the extensive review, mrbass
I was on the fence but your review and searching for 'hive' tipped me over.

The app is really polished: artful graphics, gameplay soundtrack, extensive 17 page help (with exit button!) and clean UI plus the dev is from Buenos Aires, cool city!

Despite the 'simple' rules I'm getting killed though with the default just a notch above easy - still learning the game.

I hope the hive folks don't get upset with the port; it will be interesting to see if that mosquito expansion piece comes out to hanto as a hawk piece by analogy.