★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Relica Games
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 15.1 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: In Hydron Flux, you take control of a new prototype fighter ship, designed with the new flux stardrive, for superior performance and improved firepower!

You will fight your way through the main campaign, completing missions how you want to, with a choice of different upgrades to help along the way.

Features:
-30 Main Missions to fight your way through.
-8 Different enemies, and 4 Boss enemies to overcome.
-Many different upgrades, from Torpedos, to Shockwave Generators and the mighty Vortex Manipulator!
-Defense Mode! Set after the events of the game, you must defend your planet, and stop the enemy acquiring planetary shielding technology!
-Unlimited waves in Defense Mode, so see how long you can last!
-Tilt controlled with three different angles to play at, with control over the speed and sensitivity.
-Or use a Control Pad to control the ship, with adjustable ship speed. (v1.1+)
-Online leaderboards using Open Feint.
-Many ways to improve your score for each level.
-Achievements, both online and offline.
-Built in Level Editor for creating your own levels, with control over many different settings. (no sharing yet!)
-Integrated with PlayHaven.
-Landscape mode, to be used with the control pad or tilting. (v1.1+)

-All future updates provided free, with new game modes, ship upgrades, and enemies!

If you want your say in what future updates will contain, then you can leave a message on the PlayHaven community site, or over on the Touch Arcade forums! (both will be linked from the game website!)

NOTE: You may experience slow downs on older devices! (such as the 1st gen devices!)

touchDev192's comments:
Hi everyone!

I'd like to announce my second game, Hydron Flux, which has just been released!! It will be $0.99 for today, and then it will be going up to $1.99! So grab it while its cheap!!

The link to the game is here: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/hydron-flux/id406641629?mt=8

So the game is a space shooter, which includes 30 main levels to fight your way through! To complete each level, you have to destroy every enemy! This can be done in any order, as the game allows moving sideways as well as up and down, so you can choose which groups of enemies you attack first.

Throughout the main missions, you will earn money which can be spent on upgrades, including different weapons, boosters, health/shield upgrades and more! Most weapons and enemies do most damage to either shields or health (with a few doing damage to both), so it's important to choose the right weapons so you don't become unbalanced!

Along with the normal missions, there are also 3 Defense missions, each one increasing in difficulty. For these you will have to defend your planet against oncoming waves of enemies. This will keep on going until the planet is destroyed, and therefore is something that you can improve on over time, and keep playing!

Last but not least, there is a built in level editor, to allow you to create your own missions! However there is no way of sharing these with others just yet! (its something that I want to look into if I get enough interest!)

(the method of control is tilt based!)

A Summary of the Features:
  • 30 Main Missions to fight your way through.
  • 8 Different enemies, and 4 Boss enemies to overcome.
  • Many different upgrades, from Torpedo's, to Shockwave Generators and the mighty Vortex Manipulator!
  • Defense Mode! Set after the events of the game, you must defend your planet, and stop the enemy acquiring planetary shielding technology!
  • Unlimited waves in Defense Mode, so see how long you can last!
  • Online leaderboards using Open Feint.
  • Stats Page, for viewing statistics such as hit rate, and enemies killed etc.
  • Achievements, both online and offline.
  • Built in Level Editor for creating your own levels, with control over many different settings. (no sharing yet!)
  • Integrated with PlayHaven.

More information can be found on the game website here:
Hydron Flux Website

The link to the PlayHaven site for the game is:Here

I already have more free updates planned, including more enemies, upgrades and game modes!! And If you want to give any ideas for any of these, then please let me know!!
12-14-2010, 08:47 AM
What a rip-off of Babylon 5 "White Star" Design.

TouchArcade Patreon - GameCenter: dyscoder -

12-14-2010, 09:33 AM
lol, it was just a model I got from turbosquid to use for my ship! This game is in no way based around Babylon 5!

So aside from that, any comments about the actual game? (from looking at the video, or actually playing it!)

My Released Games:
GeoVertex - Game Creator!
FairyTwists Hydron Flux
Elemental Defense - Previously featured in 'New and Noteworthy' and 'Whats hot'
Twitter: @RelicaGames
12-14-2010, 09:36 AM
looks like a good game but doesn't seem like the kind of game where you'd want to make your own levels.
12-14-2010, 09:36 AM
wow that looks awesome! Level editors in games usually drain my wallet. DLinig now.

Currently Playing: Hybrid (The first one), Block Fortress
Waiting For: MC5
Hoping For: RCT!!!!!
12-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99c_gamer View Post
looks like a good game but doesn't seem like the kind of game where you'd want to make your own levels.
At least that helps to make it stand out from other shmups out there. This game also reminds me of Fraxy, an open source PC shmup that also allows you create your own levels.
12-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks paulm12, I look forward to hearing your thoughts!! So any suggestions you have, or ways of improving the game and level editor are more than welcome!!

At some point, I'll post a list of future plans and ideas I have for the game, so any ideas that anyone has for more weapons or enemies etc are more than welcome!!

And as for making your own levels, well i've made it so that you can increase the health and shields of the enemies to very high numbers, so you can have a go at making levels that are much harder than the main missions, and basically challenge yourself.

I also had plans for another game mode that would make the editor even more useful, but I still need to think about that, and if its viable or not!

My Released Games:
FairyTwists Hydron Flux
12-14-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm curious if anyone here has played the game yet, and has any feedback about it? Would be great to know what people think about it! or if there are ways I can improve it!! Remember its only $0.99 for today, then it'll probably be going up to $1.99!

My Released Games:
FairyTwists Hydron Flux
12-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Some quick suggestions:

- Ditch the tilt controls. From my initial few minutes of play, it seems difficult to maneuver around enemies and bullets this way. Consider adopting the dual-stick controls that other shooters have (or just a single stick, for movement, and the other side for the fire button and selection of secondary weapons). Better yet - offer multiple control schemes.

- Stick to landscape mode. Portrait just don't seem to go well with this kind of shooter where you can move in all directions (especially if you intend to implement the analog stick controls).

- Maximize your UI real estate. I see a lot of blank areas in your UI that the game can do without. It's almost as if you don't use alphas for your graphical assets (of course, that's not literally the case). For example, is it necessary that Money and Score be enclosed in a box (Moreover, must you include the words "Money" and "Score"? Consider something like using two different font colors to distinguish the two values, like Score in white, and Money in yellow, and leave the "$" symbol there)? Can the blank corners of the radar be eliminated? Do the shield and health bars, combined, require a whole length of the screen, and be that thick? So on, so forth. Think of a UI along the lines of...hmm...Solomon's Boneyard?

Yeah...that's all I can think of for now. I apologize if I said too much though.
12-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks for that response, no need to apologize, you didn't say too much at all, that is all great feedback! and more is welcome!!

Ok, so the tilt controls are hard, but from the feedback others have gave me, it gets a lot easier the more you use it, so if you keep at it, you should find it becoming more and more easy to use!! Although I will certainly think about implementing a stick for movement, and offering the choice between the two!

In regards to making it landscape, i'll see what I can do to allow the user to change between landscape and portrait while playing the game. So when the user rotates the device, all the controls would rotate to the new positions. Or do you think it would be better if it was permanently landscape while playing? I just don't like the thought of making the whole game landscape, as that would mean re-doing a large portion of the interface! But landscape while in-game is a definite possibility!

Also thanks for the advice for the UI, Thats something I can easily change, and in fact I'm thinking about changing the shield/health bars so that they are round instead of straight, and maybe place them in the top right corner near the score/money. But regardless of that, i'll definitely work on re-designing the interface!

Thanks for the feedback!! I look forward to more feedback! and also any ideas or suggestions for future updates!!

My Released Games:
FairyTwists Hydron Flux