★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Astro Noughts is a fun, educational, maths game that the whole family can enjoy.

* Educational *

Astro Noughts is based around the principals of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. This is a unique game to sharpen your mental arithmetic.

With the new fully customisable difficulty system, your whole family can enjoy the game.

* Arcade Fun *

Set in space, with a host of power-ups, demonstrate your mathematical prowess by dominating the leaderboards.

A rewarding planet collection system, with fun facts to unlock, will keep everyone entertained.

* Features *

- 24 Planets to collect. Unlock fun facts about the Universe.

- An in-game Planetarium to track your progress and view your unlocked planets.

- 5 unique power-ups to collect. Mastering these will be crucial if you want to score big.

- Fully customisable so that everyone can enjoy the game at a level that suits them.

- Post your best score to the in-game leaderboards. Can you beat your friends?

- OpenFeint achievements.

Bytesizeadventures's comments:
Update: 31st March

Astro Noughts v1.3 is in the App store now. Features include...

- Game Center support
- Open Feint bug fixes
- Planetarium improvements

Update: 20th March

Astro Noughts is now FREE for a limited time - grab it now! (Please be patient as it may take an hour or so to appear in all stores)

Update: 18th February

Astro Noughts v1.2 has been approved and is available now.

- Fun facts added to the Planetarium as a reward for unlocking planets
- Minor bug fix

New promo codes (11th February 2011)

If you use one, please let me know in the comments and consider leaving a review, thanks

7RR6EJ3EXPKW
63YNN36FPLPY
AFWYNXMNTF6P
MTWRNTMXHFFJ
4TWFJL9M3M3M
X3N7W37HE7TH
AWAEH66PJRTR
MJXKRN3NYWMT
MPXF64XNTFN4
RNA37XMY4N3X

Update: 11th February

Astro Noughts v1.2 has been submitted to Apple for approval. This is a smaller update than the last one.

- Fun facts added to the Planetarium as a reward for unlocking planets
- Minor bug fix

Update: 10th February

Astro Noughts v1.1 has been approved and is now live in the App Store. Look our for it in your updates.

- A fully customisable, family friendly, difficulty system. You can now choose which sums to tackle.
- A tutorial screen has been added to explain how to play the game.
- 2 new leaderboards for easy and normal difficulties.
- A new icon
- Improved the appearance of the shield power-up
- Fixed various minor bugs

Update: 8th February

The first free update has been submitted to Apple and should be approved shortly. Details at the end of this post.

---

Set in the depths of space, you'll face wave after wave of planets hurtling towards you.

By calculating the correct mathematical expressions, you must obliterate as many planets as possible and avoid the space debris.

Fast paced, mental arithmetic is the order of the day.

Features:
  • 24 Planets to destroy and unlock. Unlocked planets can be viewed through the in-game planetarium.
  • 5 unique power-ups to collect. Mastering these will be crucial if you want to score big.
  • Post your best score to the in-game leaderboards. Can you beat your friends?
  • OpenFeint achievements.

Gameplay Video

Youtube link | Pop Up

Just for Touch Arcade readers, here are a few promo codes to kick things off. If you use one, please let me know and perhaps consider posting your thoughts in this thread.

3JE79MFENFJY
73P7JRN344T3
AJYNAREJPKYA
12-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Thanks, I got 73P7JRN344T3.

12-14-2010, 08:02 AM

Editor at TouchArchive - Follow us:Twitter Facebook
Games List Tested Join our staff just PM me.
If you want to see your game on our blog,just send us a request.
12-14-2010, 08:45 AM
thanks both,

would love for you to post some impressions here when you get a spare moment.
12-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Neat game. I had no clue what I was supposed to do, though, until I found your video. The game really needs a tutorial page (even the iTunes description didn't really explain it well).

Basically, you use the provided numbers to calculate the numbers on the oncoming planets, then must move the sun to collide with the appropriate oncoming planet. You can double-tap the sun to make that planet collide more quickly, thus giving more opportunity to create more calculations. This isn't a kids game currently, as some of the calculations are not super easy. There are power ups to double the planet score, etc., which is a nice addition.

Aside from the tutorial page, you may want to consider making levels for various players. Also, the goal is to avoid the space junk while you make the calculations. It doesn't seem to hard to do that - I wonder if another game mode could be added where you lose a life for every calculation that you miss.

Nice graphics, interesting sound effects, and solid potential for a fun and challenging math game.
12-16-2010, 06:36 AM
@secondtime

Thank you for taking the time to write some detailed feedback. I'm glad you're enjoying the game.

The points you've raised are excellent and will help me tailor the free updates. I'm making a note of all issues and suggestions raised (in addition to my own ideas) ready for the first free update in the new year.

Interesting feedback on the tutorial. There's a hint system in place that tracks your behaviour and provides hints accordingly. I think you're right though and a tutorial page would be a useful addition to complement this system.

I like your idea of the additional game mode (I already have a "bosses" game mode planned). Whilst I was trying to avoid it, I will add user selectable difficulty levels too so that you have some control over the maximum difficulty.

Once again, thanks for the feedback. It helps so much to hear what people think of the game. I really want to mould this game into something enjoyable with plenty of content.
01-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Tried it out yesterday. Cool game, beautiful graphics. Although my math skills seem pretty rusty
01-11-2011, 05:41 PM
@MarkusN

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you like the graphics. I think mental arithmetic is something we all assume we're good at but its amazing how rusty we become over the years

The leaderboards are a good way to prove you still have what it takes!

For anyone on the fence about this game. I'm currently hard at work on a fairly hefty update for this. A full difficulty customisation system, a brand new game mode, and various other bits and pieces.

The price will stay at $0.99 until the update is released and then it will increase.

Let me know if any of you have any suggestions for the update.
02-08-2011, 08:29 AM
First Free Update

I've just submitted the first free Astro Noughts update to Apple. It should be approved shortly (I'd anticipate no later than next week).

This update contains a bunch of stuff, primarily focussed around customising the difficulty of the game. My aim is for the game to be easily passed between younger and older gamers whilst still providing a challenge.

Here's what's in the update...

- A fully customisable, family friendly, difficulty system. You can now choose which sums to tackle.
- A tutorial screen has been added to explain how to play the game.
- 2 new leaderboards for easy and normal difficulties.
- A new icon
- Improved the appearance of the shield power-up
- Fixed various minor bugs

My next focus will be on Game Center integration and new game modes. Past that I have all sorts of ideas. I'm trying to break down the features into smaller batches so that I can release updates more often.

This is also the end of the introductory price. Once the new update has been approved, the price will go up - so grab it now if you want to save a bit of money.

I'll post back once the update is approved.
02-10-2011, 04:13 AM
Astro Noughts v1.1 has been approved. It should be showing up in your App Store updates.

Let me know if you have any feedback.