★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The Infinity Blade Effect

12-14-2010, 08:09 PM
The Infinity Blade Effect

Apparently everyone expects games to look as good as Infinity Blade because every game they look at they say "the graphics look terrible" when they are obviously not - it's freaking ridiculous if you ask me. What do you guys think?
12-14-2010, 08:28 PM
The graphics on this thread are terrible. 1 star.

12-14-2010, 08:40 PM
^ you just failed.....hard.

You are not pretty enough to be that stupid.
12-14-2010, 08:46 PM
The next game that looks that good will be whatever Epic develops internally with their own engine. After all, no one else has truly optimized it, especially for the iphone. You have to know what you are doing or else it ain't gonna look like that. Unreal is a hassle. I don't think third party developers are going to bother with it, to be honest. The devil you know versus the devil you don't. I think most developers will stick with unity, to be honest.
12-14-2010, 08:47 PM
It's like reading something translated through a drive thru intercom.
12-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Younger gamers of the newer generation are obviously going to get more enjoyment out of games with better graphics. At the end of the day, people of different ages are going to find fun in different games, so it really just depends on opinion.

Betas: Victory Day, Victory March, Zombwich, Mission Europa, Shadow Era, Slice It!, Baseball Superstars 2011, Queen's Crown, Aralon: Sword and Shadow, Zombie Runaway, Third Blade, Tower Defense: Lost Earth
12-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltMyTouch View Post
Younger gamers of the newer generation are obviously going to get more enjoyment out of games with better graphics. At the end of the day, people of different ages are going to find fun in different games, so it really just depends on opinion.
I think he said it best. Most of the younger (and stupider) gamers out there always first complain about graphics, even when they're not that bad, followed by realism. It's a trend I've noticed while talking with some of my friends about certain games. Even if it's a great game, they automatically judge based on realism and graphics.
12-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
I think he said it best. Most of the younger (and stupider) gamers out there always first complain about graphics, even when they're not that bad, followed by realism. It's a trend I've noticed while talking with some of my friends about certain games. Even if it's a great game, they automatically judge based on realism and graphics.
That annoys me a lot when people judge by graphics instead of gameplay.

Lightning Strike Games Development Blog
12-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmiral View Post
That annoys me a lot when people judge by graphics instead of gameplay.
And then along comes a game like minecraft or even freeware like iwbtg that destroys every graphic sterotype.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
12-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Location: Saint Joseph's Hospital, Mental Ward (Long Term Guest)
Nineteen years old and I still prefer sprites to 3d models. What's your excuse for saying younger gamers prefer graphics to depth?

I regularly play NES games on my Wii, and I appreciate them more oftentimes than the modern stuff due to it's attention to detail in gameplay.

I love roguelikes.Not just the graphics ones- I played dwarf fortress before DFG, because it's world generation algorithm was genuinely impressive.

My favorite game is still the original NWN (which had it's engine developed in the latter days of DnD 2E)

I play Infocom games. I play system shock 1 (my favorite game), daggerfall... and when adding modern control methods to the mix I don't care that the game is more than five years old.

Minecraft impresses me more than Fallout: New vegas graphically- it's that unique retro sensibility. But Fallout: New vegas impresses me in gameplay more than graphics- All those modder's creations recoded from scratch and added. All those classic fallout skills.

Speaking of which, I play fallout 1+2, and Battle for Wesnoth on my home PC regularly.

I can't even identify with my own generation anymore. Mostly because I intensely dislike Twilight, Rap, and Angry Birds