★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Under Represented Genres ?

12-15-2010, 12:02 AM
#1
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Under Represented Genres ?

Hi everyone, as someone whos looking to potential jump into game dev in the near future it got me thinking about what are the most under represented games on iphone.

For example, imo the most overly used are

-minigore/top down shooter games
-doodle jump games
-flight control games

I know that just about every genre is available on iphone, but in terms of what become hits/get spotlight they usually seem to fit the above criteria.

Any opinions ? Pocket God is one of the few standouts for me, it was HUGELY successfully yet suprisingly doesnt have a huge amount of clones on the store.
12-15-2010, 12:21 AM
#2
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,088
Pocket God has no clones because it isn't fun.

Betas: Victory Day, Victory March, Zombwich, Mission Europa, Shadow Era, Slice It!, Baseball Superstars 2011, Queen's Crown, Aralon: Sword and Shadow, Zombie Runaway, Third Blade, Tower Defense: Lost Earth

12-15-2010, 12:29 AM
#3
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
Posts: 13,251
3d Open-world RPGs..wait a second, aralons coming out tomorrow.
12-15-2010, 12:32 AM
#4
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,494
Strategy games & classic RPGs (versus action RPG which are perhaps too abundant)

FYI Rpg-site.com tracks Ipod RPGs and has a detailed list for reference.

Last edited by undeadcow; 12-15-2010 at 12:48 AM.
12-15-2010, 12:36 AM
#5
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 525
Action Puzzle Platormers. I'm talking about games like Portal, Braid, and Max and the Magic Marker.
12-15-2010, 12:37 AM
#6
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: N.Y., USA
Posts: 158
Turn-based strategy rpgs like FFT
12-15-2010, 03:01 AM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbosa View Post
Turn-based strategy rpgs like FFT
This (which still surprises me)

...and 3D platformers. I don't get why Gameloft hasn't done the Mario/Ratchet clone yet. Especially Mario, since the Galaxy games have been so successful and TA recently reported on a study claiming that more kids want an iTouch than a DS. Castle of Magic was their 2D platformer. Hm, I have a feeling it's in the works.

Now Playing...FFT: War of the Lions, Tiger Woods '12
GAME CENTER - Alchemistrpm
12-15-2010, 03:05 AM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemistrpm View Post
This (which still surprises me)

...and 3D platformers. I don't get why Gameloft hasn't done the Mario/Ratchet clone yet. Especially Mario, since the Galaxy games have been so successful and TA recently reported on a study claiming that more kids want an iTouch than a DS. Castle of Magic was their 2D platformer. Hm, I have a feeling it's in the works.
Rayman 2 likes to say hi, though it is a port of a N64 game
12-15-2010, 03:22 AM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktar View Post
Rayman 2 likes to say hi, though it is a port of a N64 game
Yea... I'm gonna go with 'really old port doesn't count.'

I played it on PSX. Was it an N64 game first or simultaneous?

Now Playing...FFT: War of the Lions, Tiger Woods '12
GAME CENTER - Alchemistrpm
12-15-2010, 06:13 AM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by csklimowski View Post
Action Puzzle Platormers. I'm talking about games like Portal, Braid, and Max and the Magic Marker.
Good call. I'd >love< to make a game like Portal or Braid (never played Max), but they're really really hard to get right. I'm prototyping ideas right now, so I'll have a think about it.