★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: ******* ********

" " " ".

18 .

" " " ".

12-15-2010, 04:57 AM
Uh..... interesting?

It doesn't look all that bad, actually. That animation looks beautiful. I just wish I knew what on Earth any of this is saying, let alone what the game is about

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。

12-15-2010, 05:09 AM
The Name of the game is: The Fight of the Ninja
12-15-2010, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linko View Post
The Name of the game is: The Fight of the Ninja
I actually like that name. What else does it say in the store description?

Now Playing: iStunt 2, Monster Trouble, Zombie Runaway, Stylish Sprint, Grim Joggers, Holy Moly Dragons, Fight Night Champion, NBA Jam, Rat On a Skateboard, Puzzle Quest 2, Jungool, Super Stick Golf, Smoody, Gravity Guy.
12-16-2010, 02:14 AM
Game Impressions

Man this game is rough. The art style is still wonderful, but it's another one of those "two frames of animation" type games.

Also, it's GAMESALAD. Need I say more?

Of course I do:

The title screen is pretty nice. Simplistic, with two options (Play and Options), with the main character posing on the left, and a spinning red "ray" picture in the background.

You press Play, then pick a level (It only appears to be 2 at first, but if you swipe around you find that there are actually 16, all unlocked one after the other, once you beat the previous level). I thought you had to tap it, but I guess you hold your finger on it for a second, and it loads up.

You're dropped into the level and you have your basic controls:

Joystick: As with all these controls, very self-explanatory. You move your character with the joystick. With this type of game, though, I feel a d-pad is a better fit, but that's a real nitpick
You press down on the joystick to duck, which in turn makes you block. You can't change direction while you're ducking, but either direction you face when you initiate the duck is fine, considering it blocks attacks from both directions (even when your back is fully exposed to the enemy).
Press up to jump into the air, and depending if you go top-right or top-left, you will fly forward or backward. A fun thing to do is hold up, and you will constantly jump up and down. The AI doesn't seem to care, because they never try to attack you when you're defying frog physics.
And left & right are self-explanatory, come on

The rest of the controls are self-explanatory. You have an attack button that swings your sword (seems to only be one way to swing it; no fancy combos or different swinging techniques). Then there's a second attack button with a picture of a shuriken which allows you to throw shurikens towards your enemy (assuming you have any left).
- You start the round off with five shurikens. They seem to be completely useless, though, because from what I've seen, it takes all four of them to knock down any health, and it's the same amount of health you'd knock down if you landed two blows on them with your sword.

Then you have a Menu button (takes you back to the main menu, huzzah!) and a Retry button (restarts the match).

Strangely there is no Pause button in sight...

Back to the gameplay:

You're dropped into the level, and there are two characters on either side of the screen: you and your opponent. You each have a health bar and a sword. Think of it like a fighting game, actually. It's the same exact setup. The goal is to knock the other player's health down to zero, and so far I've only ever encountered one enemy at a time (one per level),

The controls respond well, but hit detection seems seriously screwed-up. Maybe that's just because the computer loves to "turtle" (shield themselves constantly). I suppose this turtling ends up adding an element of timing and pseudo-strategy to the game, but I don't like how it feels. Here's a pattern that's been consistent so far:

START -> Stand still -> AI walks towards you -> Tries to hit you -> You hit back, land one blow -> try again, but they block -> blocked -> blocked -> blocked -> you go into "turtle" mode for 5 hours -> they hit you (you blocked it) -> get out of turtle mode and slash like no other.

Rinse and repeat.

There's no satisfaction in the sword landings, nor is there any satisfaction with anything else in the game. When you hit them once with your sword, it doesn't take down any health. You take down their health in increments. Throw four shurikens and you take down a fragment of their health. Hit them with your sword twice, it takes down a fragment of their health. Of course it's fine if they land a blow on you and it takes down health every time, though.

If you manage to beat the level, you are rewarded with a gold ribbon. I'm not entirely sure how the ribbons are determined, but you can get at least one and at most three. I think it has to do with how much health you lost and how quickly you beat the opponent, but again I'm not sure.

It seems the game is really just rinse and repeat for everything. The enemies seem to get harder only in the sense that they attack faster so you have less time to react. I'm still only fighting one person at a time...

I don't know. This game is pretty rough. Smoother than most GameSalad games, but that's not saying a whole lot.

This is only from playing the first three levels, but I have a feeling these impressions will last through the remainder of the game. I don't know

If you want I could try uploading a gameplay video later?

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。
12-16-2010, 02:28 AM
lol, well the game musta been somewhat worthwhile if you posted that much impressions.

It sounds like the game is half good and half bad. If you wanna take the time to add video go ahead, but only do it if its worth it.

Now Playing: iStunt 2, Monster Trouble, Zombie Runaway, Stylish Sprint, Grim Joggers, Holy Moly Dragons, Fight Night Champion, NBA Jam, Rat On a Skateboard, Puzzle Quest 2, Jungool, Super Stick Golf, Smoody, Gravity Guy.
12-16-2010, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedog View Post
lol, well the game musta been somewhat worthwhile if you posted that much impressions.

It sounds like the game is half good and half bad. If you wanna take the time to add video go ahead, but only do it if its worth it.
Nooo. I only wrote a novel because I was in the mood to write a lot. This was not worth $2 at all. Lol.

All right. I suppose I can make it happen

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。
12-16-2010, 03:23 AM

Youtube link | Pop Up

There ya' go

Sorry for the camera shaking and the overall angle. And also, it's possible I just haven't found out how to play the game the right way, but here's the gameplay anyways

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。
12-16-2010, 03:29 AM
Looks to have some potential, the graphics(artwork) and music are pretty good, but they need to expand upon the gameplay a bit.

12-16-2010, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedog View Post
Looks to have some potential, the graphics(artwork) and music are pretty good, but they need to expand upon the gameplay a bit.
I do agree with that, for sure.

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。