App description: Take control of the armies of England, and crush the opposing viking tribes in this exciting fantasy strategy game!

"...developers have crafted a very fun, simple to use, strategy game"

"fun, polished and pretty"

"Well designed and easy to play"

STORY-DRIVEN WAR CAMPAIGN

Guided by the dubious Grand Marshal Chargondy, you set out to lead your armies from one battlefield to another across enemy territory, ultimately mounting an assault on the viking capital.

VARIETY OF SKIRMISH SCENARIOS

Pick one of the wide selection of skirmish maps, and test your strategy as a British or Viking commander. You can even play against your friend on the same iPad!

ONLINE MULTIPLAYER

For even more challenge, go online and play a match against another people on the net. Games are ranked and best ones make it to the leaderboard.


FEATURING

* Polished turn based strategy gameplay

* British and Viking armies

* Allied races: dwarves, goblins and monsters!

* Story driven war campaign

* Variety of skirmish maps

* 17 unique units

* Full manual and help features

... a war is at hand, and great fortune awaits those who prevail!
12-23-2010, 03:16 AM
#31
So how is the AI in the game?

And isnt the Battlelore/Memoir44 system patented?

/Thomas

Thomas Hentschel Lund - Full Control ApS
ElectroCute, Smack Boxing, TouchWars, Monster Ball, Smack Hockey, Tactical Soldier, Frontline Tactics, Space Hulk
12-23-2010, 06:26 AM
#32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Lund View Post
So how is the AI in the game?

And isnt the Battlelore/Memoir44 system patented?

/Thomas
I have played through the campaign on Easy and found the AI to be predicatable and easily defeated - I am definitely hoping for more of a challenge when I replay it on Hard!

Regarding your 2nd question - no, it is not patented. It is not possible to patent an idea or 'game mechanic'. Whilst I would love to play an official C&C game on the iPad (Memoir 44 especially would be amazing!) having this 'clone' version is better than nothing.

12-23-2010, 08:30 AM
#33
Right - different legislative things in different countries.

To be honest this looks like a complete rip-off/clone of the game. Not only borrowing a single game mechanics, but taking the entire game and just changing the theme. From command cards, the way victory is counted, the flag bearers, most likely unit types also. Very little innovation by the developers except copy/paste.

Personally I have moral issues with that. But might just be me. Sorry for being negative

/Thomas

Thomas Hentschel Lund - Full Control ApS
ElectroCute, Smack Boxing, TouchWars, Monster Ball, Smack Hockey, Tactical Soldier, Frontline Tactics, Space Hulk

Last edited by Thomas Lund; 12-23-2010 at 08:36 AM.
12-23-2010, 09:22 AM
#34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Lund View Post
Right - different legislative things in different countries.

To be honest this looks like a complete rip-off/clone of the game. Not only borrowing a single game mechanics, but taking the entire game and just changing the theme. From command cards, the way victory is counted, the flag bearers, most likely unit types also. Very little innovation by the developers except copy/paste.

Personally I have moral issues with that. But might just be me. Sorry for being negative

/Thomas
Welcome to the real world! It is a complete rip-off of the C&C game system. If you have a problem with that, the simple answer is: don't buy. If a properly licensed version of Memoir 44/Battlelore/any C&C game were released for iOS I would buy it immediately - but since those developers have been caught napping and Viking Lords is the only option it will fill the gap quite nicely for the time being.
12-23-2010, 04:27 PM
#35
Obligatory quote from Pablo Picasso: "Bad artists copy. Great artists steal."

Anyway, picked up the game, and please, for the love of god, give me an undo button for non randomized events like movement or picking a command card. I can understand stopping undo after you've already made an attack, but even though it doesn't happen very often, accidentally brushing the wrong card with your finger offers frustration that isn't necessary. I'd also love to see some sort of indication of range/LOS for distance weapons as each unit is moving -> sometimes LOS and range is tricky to tell ahead of time.
12-23-2010, 06:23 PM
#36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsthompson View Post
Anyway, picked up the game, and please, for the love of god, give me an undo button for non randomized events like movement or picking a command card. I can understand stopping undo after you've already made an attack, but even though it doesn't happen very often, accidentally brushing the wrong card with your finger offers frustration that isn't necessary. I'd also love to see some sort of indication of range/LOS for distance weapons as each unit is moving -> sometimes LOS and range is tricky to tell ahead of time.
Yeah, an undo function would not go amiss!
There is a button that makes the grid more pronounced which helps with determining range, etc.
12-23-2010, 07:52 PM
#37
Is there any hope of Viking Lords coming out for the iPhone?


richmlow

richmlow

iPhone 4S, 32GB, iOS 6.1.3
Beta-tester for Archon, Archon: Conquest, Robot Master, Samurai, Shadow Era, Wriggle.
01-13-2011, 06:14 PM
#38
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmlow View Post
Is there any hope of Viking Lords coming out for the iPhone?


richmlow
Quote taken from the developer's forum regarding a possible iphone port:

"We are investigating this possibility. It depends mostly on UI, there is no point releasing iPhone version if it does not offer excellent UI."
03-15-2011, 03:52 PM
#39
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: us of a
Posts: 2,824
This is an absolutely fantastic medieval strategy game. Definitely a must have for iPad owning strategy enthusiasts. There's a campaign mode, skirmish mode (you can even have a pass-n-play match with a friend), and heck there's even online multiplayer. According to the app there are over 100 players online too.

03-18-2011, 02:16 PM
#40
According to their website forum, they have a patch in review, that will be adding a few extra skirmish maps.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.