Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-25-2014, 03:15 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Default MUJO (by Oink Games)

Last edited by PeteOzzy; 09-09-2014 at 08:27 AM..
Old 07-26-2014, 03:07 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I'm not too surprised that this hasn't had any comments yet but on playing it, I feel it definitely deserves some.

Visually, it's outstanding. It's obviously a matter of taste but I love the simplistic yet characterful illustrations and the bold colouring. It's very clean and efficient but not lacking in personality at all. The fact that it draws from Greek and other various mythologies is a massive plus for me. It's pretty barebones with the audio side of things; no soundtrack and only some simple tones when you make matches but I can't think of many matching games I've played with the sound on. It might not excuse it's omission but it's by no means a dealbreaker.

Now that's out of the way I can get on to what makes MUJO a very strange beast, its gameplay.

It opts for the only slightly less common mechanic of tapping adjacent matches of three or more to remove them and cause a cascade of more tiles. We've all done it before, probably in 20 or so "different" games, but luckily there's a lot more to this.

You're constantly facing off against an enemy in the top of the screen with varying HP levels and occasional special ablities. Matching the swords will damage them whilst other colours provide experience (at least that's their purpose to begin wth, but I'll get to that later). It all begins very simply, almost a little too slow and easy if the truth be told.

Slowly, though, the tutorial introduces single block removal, combining chains into higher value blocks, various obstacles, enemies with differing skills and treasure blocks. The latter of which forms one of the nicer features; matching three treasure chests provides you with a pokemon-style ally that offer special skills operating on cooldowns shortened by matching the colour of their tile. Holding down on a chain of blocks makes the highlighted square absorb the others and grow exponentially in power, doing so with the loot cubes grants a higher value monster.

Once you combine some fairly solid tactical movement and the addictive monster collecting you have something worth paying attention to. The fact that it's free for a short period too makes it a no brainer, The only IAP I could find were restocks for the ability to remove a single block, effectively a cheat and something that has no real effect on leaderboards (and yes, Game Centre is integrated)

I'd like to encounter a bit more challenge though. Whilst it's nice to play something of a leisurely pace, it doesn't really feel that bad planning is particularly punished. This could very well change in the later game and also bearing in mind that it's a soft launch too. But overall, the game is well made minus a few spelling errors with enough unique features to draw players back into an incredibly saturated genre. It won't blow your world or take down Dungeon Raid or Scurvy Scallywags but it's definitely worthy of attention and praise. At the very least you can lock the licence in before it becomes paid again!
Old 07-26-2014, 03:21 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Thx Pete! Another gem you found!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:54 AM

This looks sort of awesome. Hope it releases wide soon.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:25 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 8.x

Out worldwide now. This looks really good.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:15 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 8.x

Pocket Gamer preview

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/...ws.asp?c=60831
Old 09-09-2014, 04:58 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Saw this on pockettactics and can't believe it's already out! Sadly it's already late here and I'm half asleep but I'll get this tomorrow for sure!
Old 09-09-2014, 07:33 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

There are some neat mechanics in play but the mere fact that in 90% of the levels there is literally no way to lose makes everything feel kind of tedious. Like without the tension of, "Will I be able to pull off this massive attack before it's too late?" you instead get, "Do I just let loose this massive attack now or intentionally delay things and see how much bigger I can make it before I get bored of thus level?"
Old 09-09-2014, 10:45 PM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Looks good, but IAP for a $1.99 game. Before I pass judgement, can anyone confirm the extent to which they are prevalent - thx!
Old 09-09-2014, 10:47 PM

I just started playing Swipe & Slash and then I saw this. Looks great!