Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-21-2012, 04:41 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
You can tell by the level of rhetoric whether someone is worthy of engaging in conversation. That guy's forum name should have been a big red flag .
Sorry to side with the bad guy here, but playing devils advocate, I would have to agree with a lot of solidfarts' points. The AI is not good and the barrier collision spins are faked, not real physics by a long shot. I guess they did it to stop you riding the barriers for good lap times but I would have preferred real physics with a forced "no acceleration" (or forced 4 seconds of braking) period after a collision to stop you from getting a better lap time than you could from staying on the road.

And I haven't had a single online race without lag (and I have solid 100mbit fibre connection). Guessing its peer-to-peer which is a recipe for unreliability. It's only as good as the weakest link.

Still a good game but I hope RR3 is a lot better and more satisfying "feel" overall.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
Sorry to side with the bad guy here, but playing devils advocate, I would have to agree with a lot of solidfarts' points. The AI is not good and the barrier collision spins are faked, not real physics by a long shot. I guess they did it to stop you riding the barriers for good lap times but I would have preferred real physics with a forced "no acceleration" (or forced 4 seconds of braking) period after a collision to stop you from getting a better lap time than you could from staying on the road.

And I haven't had a single online race without lag (and I have solid 100mbit fibre connection). Guessing its peer-to-peer which is a recipe for unreliability. It's only as good as the weakest link.

Still a good game but I hope RR3 is a lot better and more satisfying "feel" overall.
I have no opinion on the quality of AI in RR2. My comment was specific to the quality of the guy's rhetoric: it is possible to be critical of something without using profanity or calling it "garbage." The comparison to Rockstar was rich, too: their games have budgets of $100+ million and regularly take 4+ years to ship. When they've worked with more limited budgets and schedules, the AI tends to be fairly limited (as it is in the PSP and DS GTA's).

In any event, we can only hope that RR3 improves on every aspect of the game, not just the graphics.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:16 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
I have no opinion on the quality of AI in RR2. My comment was specific to the quality of the guy's rhetoric: it is possible to be critical of something without using profanity or calling it "garbage." The comparison to Rockstar was rich, too: their games have budgets of $100+ million and regularly take 4+ years to ship. When they've worked with more limited budgets and schedules, the AI tends to be fairly limited (as it is in the PSP and DS GTA's).

In any event, we can only hope that RR3 improves on every aspect of the game, not just the graphics.
Ah sorry squarezero, I probably should have quoted Rip then
I come from PC sim racing and some of the single player AI on the SimBin games (like GTL/GTR) is really amazing... it's so convincing and subtle. It is possible and I doubt they had that huge a budget either but of course the games are nowhere as big in scope as GTA games hehe.

IMO the problem in RR stems from everything being just too fast travelling, meaning the AI don't have time to react to you or each other. It's good fun but cannot be called a sim, or even simcade.

Very excited to try RR3 still.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:28 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:

+1 for this
Thats why I switched from Asphalt to RR. Every Asphalt game just had better graphics, thats it. RR3, as you said, should also improve on each aspect of the game, such as tracks, cars, AI, physics, and the real racing feel overall. I don't want the back of my car to continue falling off (although I want them to keep this), but I also want to see more damage taken to the cars and other cars when you run into them, because, as someone said before, they're pretty much unaffected. I hope Firemonkeys focuses on AI and physics to create a more real experience. I am glad real tracks are included this time, though. Thats a big step up from RR and RR2. Also, on physics, I'd like to see smoother steering (on my iPod it seems really abrupt, although that could be intended or more realistic?) and, as I said, more damage (hopefully this isn't too arcade racing style?)
Something I've always wanted is the damn people watching the race to look more realistic. They just wave their arms in a choppy fashion and they each look like Slenderman - no face.
I could be mistaken, and I apologize if this is a rant, but its just my RR3 wishlist.

EDIT: Anyone know the RR3 price, or maybe a speculation? $5? $1?

Last edited by Jacob007; 10-21-2012 at 09:43 PM..
Old 10-21-2012, 09:49 PM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob007 View Post
+1 for this
Thats why I switched from Asphalt to RR. Every Asphalt game just had better graphics, thats it. RR3, as you said, should also improve on each aspect of the game, such as tracks, cars, AI, physics, and the real racing feel overall. I don't want the back of my car to continue falling off (although I want them to keep this), but I also want to see more damage taken to the cars and other cars when you run into them, because, as someone said before, they're pretty much unaffected. I hope Firemonkeys focuses on AI and physics to create a more real experience. I am glad real tracks are included this time, though. Thats a big step up from RR and RR2. Also, on physics, I'd like to see smoother steering (on my iPod it seems really abrupt, although that could be intended or more realistic?) and, as I said, more damage (hopefully this isn't too arcade racing style?)
Something I've always wanted is the damn people watching the race to look more realistic. They just wave their arms in a choppy fashion and they each look like Slenderman - no face.
I could be mistaken, and I apologize if this is a rant, but its just my RR3 wishlist.

EDIT: Anyone know the RR3 price, or maybe a speculation? $5? $1?
It's a good wish list actually. Very similar to what they are actually working on for it I'd imagine.

Last edited by Rip73; 10-21-2012 at 10:15 PM..
Old 10-21-2012, 10:12 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Interesting to see this game being discussed again. Personally I always thought it was wildly overrated. Amazing how many glaring flaws folks are prepared to turn a blind eye to in favour of some eye candy. That said, I could have easily forgiven it the ambivalent physics and driving model (it's neither fish nor fowl,) the woeful AI, the inept difficulty balancing, and a number of other issues, if only it was able to deliver a fluid, consistent frame rate. It's simply beyond me how anybody is able to enjoy a driving game that runs at 30 FPS at best, with constant jarring dips. Truly a game for those who value graphics far, far above all.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:20 PM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Interesting to see this game being discussed again. Personally I always thought it was wildly overrated. Amazing how many glaring flaws folks are prepared to turn a blind eye to in favour of some eye candy. That said, I could have easily forgiven it the ambivalent physics and driving model (it's neither fish nor fowl,) the woeful AI, the inept difficulty balancing, and a number of other issues, if only it was able to deliver a fluid, consistent frame rate. It's simply beyond me how anybody is able to enjoy a driving game that runs at 30 FPS at best, with constant jarring dips. Truly a game for those who value graphics far, far above all.
Ok, fair enough opinion. I don't agree with it myself but that's personal as I've simply always enjoyed the game, even after nearly two years on release and multiple play throughs, I still enjoy it. And that's not just down to the graphics.
But what racing games, on iOS, are better than it? I'm obviously missing something or some other superior racing simulator game that I haven't tried yet. (no console example please as I no longer even use any of mine much)

Last edited by Rip73; 10-21-2012 at 10:22 PM..
Old 10-21-2012, 10:31 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip73 View Post
Ok, fair enough opinion. I don't agree with it myself but that's personal as I've simply always enjoyed the game, even after nearly two years on release and multiple play throughs, I still enjoy it. And that's not just down to the graphics.
But what racing games, on iOS, are better than it? I'm obviously missing something or some other superior racing simulator game that I haven't tried yet. (no console example please as I no longer even use any of mine much)
IOS games have a limit of performance and things you can do successfully on the devices, especially if you're aiming to support the older ones. I also believe Apple has a memory limit
for apps, but I'm not 100% sure. Even with Real Racing, there was so much they could do. Sure, theres room for improvement, but, as you said, what other racing game comes close to this?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:42 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip73 View Post
Driving Speed is by far the best I've come across; have you tried it? I would be curious to hear what you think. It's heavily on the "sim" end of the scale though, and I also wouldn't recommend it for devices below 4S/iPad 2. A lite version is also available, but for the iPad only. Here's the thread: (and link)

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...=Driving+speed
Old 10-21-2012, 10:50 PM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Driving Speed is by far the best I've come across; have you tried it? I would be curious to hear what you think. It's heavily on the "sim" end of the scale though, and I also wouldn't recommend it for devices below 4S/iPad 2. A lite version is also available, but for the iPad only. Here's the thread: (and link)

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...=Driving+speed
Haven't tried it. Hadn't come across it before even. I have ip5 and iPad 2 so covered device wise.
I'll have to give it a shot just for the comparison. It's not expensive at 1.99 so won't bother with the lite version.
Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Rip73; 10-21-2012 at 11:02 PM..