★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: ** LIMITED TIME SALE **
If you like word games, this is a must! Match wits against a progression of enemies, each one tougher than the first, in this beautifully stylized RPG-like word game from the makers of I Dig It.

Play against the computer or select multiplayer to challenge a friend. Force your opponent to spell a word or bluff your way to victory, but be careful not to underestimate your foe!

- Enjoy hours of fun and challenging word play in this innovative and unique word game.
- Unlock the mystery of Professor Wordington throughout 31 levels of single player action.
- Customize your character and game-play options by choosing from over 25 different items, spells, and potions.
- Loot your opponents to find rare and powerful items.
- Dominate your friends in one on one battle.

bghoward's comments:
Hi everyone,

We will be submitting our newest game this week. Thought I'd give you a little preview.

It's a new take on the word game genre with a compelling story a unique game mechanic and some good old RPG elements for good measure. Check out these videos and let us know what you think!

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

Brian Howard
InMotion Software

12-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Looks really polished and I love word games. Might want to put this in the upcoming section though.

12-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Spellatorium went live this morning, here is the iTunes Link.

Let me know what you guys think.

Brian
InMotion Software
12-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Picked this up and it is a very polished word game. This is a really different take on a word game, so I still trying to wrap my head around it.

There is a two player mode that is a nice addition as well. I do wish there was a way to enter our names though, instead of player one and player two.

The main problem I am running into is that almost every round ends with a four letter word. It is really hard to continue a lot of words, without spelling a word past four letters. I am sure that is partly due to my vocabulary but I still don't get that part.
12-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Great game. I like a good word game, and this is definitely a different take. It's not just about spelling words, but thinking ahead to either figure out what words you can either force the other person to spell based on the letters already played, or think of a relatively obscure word the other player may challenge you on. Add in powerups that let you do additional damage, get bonus points for hard-to-use letters, prepend letters at the start of a word, and so on, and this becomes a pretty challenging and very different sort of word game. Plus, it's quite polished -- as I'd expect from InMotion.

Excellent word game, well worth the asking price.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
12-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Videos look good, and the game looks interesting, but I still can't tell what the gameplay is all about. I'll wait for some more impressions and keep this on a watch list

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
12-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
Videos look good, and the game looks interesting, but I still can't tell what the gameplay is all about. I'll wait for some more impressions and keep this on a watch list

The basic idea is that you take turns with a variety of increasingly difficult players in single-player, or other people in multiplayer, placing one letter on the board, with the goal being either to force the other person to spell a word, bluff with something that isn't a word just to avoid spelling a word and hope the other player doesn't call that bluff, or get the other player to call your bluff when you really can spell a word with the current letters. Every time you win a round against the other player you take down their health, and if their health reaches 0, you win the match -- and likewise you lose if you reach 0. There are various powerups you can get and use during the game which can help you, and they are swappable between matches.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
12-20-2010, 09:21 AM
I decided to pull the trigger last night - the asking price is just within my comfort zone for taking a chance on a new IP.

Minefield captured the rules, so I'll concentrate on my opinion of the game.

I love it. As already reported, the game is polished. The art is great, the UI feels natural, and the rules are simple. The most surprising thing to me was the depth of strategy required play. It's not often that I find a developer capable of turning simple mechanics into such a satisfying experience.

I really like the RPG elements. I agree that some small alterations would be nice, like being able to change my name.

I am admittedly a word game junkie, so take my opinion either as a trustworthy connoisseur or as overly enthusiastic word geek. Either way I whole heartedly endorse it.
12-20-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm glad you guys are enjoying the game. It has a deceptive amount of strategy involved in it what is on the surface a fairly simple game mechanic.

For those of you who are still not quit sure how the game is played, would it help to post up a tutorial video?

Brian Howard
InMotion Software
12-20-2010, 10:38 AM
a tutorial vid would be great!

GameCenter / plus+ / Crystal ID: MeteorFlare
OpenFeint: MeteorFlye