★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Three Little Pigs and the Secrets of a Popup Book - Out Now!

12-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Three Little Pigs and the Secrets of a Popup Book - Out Now!

App Info:
12-16-2010, 02:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uMavEEyrzs

That intro video is pretty neat. Good job on whoever designed it. I highly recommend people watch it.

I am always interested in new interactive books for my 3 and 5 year old. I almost always wait for them to drop in price though. The price here is a lot more than what I would normally spend on an ipad interactive book but after seeing the video I am very impressed and will try to buy it at some point since this is only one ipad book I will end up spending this much on it won't be too bad. I already spent too much this past week with all the sales going on. By new years I will hopefully pick it up. I don't see myself buying a bunch at this price range though.

Are you planning to make more?

The current price I think will certainly scare people off before even reading more about the app. If you don't plan to reduce pricing it might be worth creating a lite version just to show off a few of the features and get more exposure on the app store with this type of book.

12-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Congratulations on the release, Looks great!
12-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Congratulations on the release and good luck with sales. I can't wait to get home from work and download this gem ! It looks brilliant !

I'm an app-oholic! And there's no 12-step program...
IAPs = I Ain't Purchasing, son !
12-16-2010, 05:23 PM
@xStatiCa: Thanks for your thoughts and feedback. I am a one man shop, so I hacked together all the pieces, from design and programming to the final polish and trailer. I guess that's both the joy and the burden of being an indie.

As far as making more, possibly. This is my second book out there, the first being The Little Mermaid I released over the summer.

The price is a little steep. However, I believe so is the quality of the product. There are many $0.99 books out there. Unfortunately, they are often mere scans of static pages, with a simple page flip animation thrown in. The Three Little Pigs is more along the lines of 25 mini-games stitched into one app.

I tried creating Lite versions of the books. In fact, I submitted one for Little Mermaid a couple of weeks after the main app was published. However, Apple rejected it saying they no longer allow the publishing of any Lite books on the App Store.

However, if you'd like to check the book out and your budget is tight, feel free to PM me. I have a couple (literally) promo codes still available.

One way or another, thanks for all the support!
12-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Oh, man ! I forgot that you were also the creator of Little Mermaid ! That's an incredible book, one of the best interactive books available for the iPad. With The Three Little Pigs, you've hit two home runs !

I downloaded the book tonight, and I've started reading it... I love what you've done. The X-Ray view is great fun, and it will fascinate inquisitive little (and big) minds who want to see how things work, the secret behind the magic.

Considering the price of books these days, seven bucks for a work such as this is a bargain ! Congratulations. I hope your sales go as well as they did for your first book.

I'm an app-oholic! And there's no 12-step program...
IAPs = I Ain't Purchasing, son !
12-17-2010, 10:59 AM
The more I look at the book the more I realize it is a good price for the book. I will end up getting the mermaid book too.

I agree about the x-ray view. That is very neat. My kids really like it and just love to mess around with all the interactive bits.

Just some ideas I have...
- Ability to record myself reading each page to play it back when the kids change the page. For those times I am not at available. This will make the reading part usable for kids who are not old enough to read yet.
- Read the instructions for the app that appear on the first screen to the user (option maybe). My kids can not read a book themselves yet so it would be great for those that can't read yet to hear how to operate the book.
- I wish all book, art creation, etc apps by developers had an option like this... Toggle option for even younger audiences to make it so that any button that would take you out of reading mode or pop up a dialog box would require a double tap so that my 4 month old can not accidentally quit the reading session by swiping her hand/fingers on the screen. For example... maybe only the left and right buttons would work with a single tap.

This is a brilliant interactive book. The interactive portions are very polished and the physics with them I think will help the younger toddlers.

I wish iBooks had the ability to do things like this.
12-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Great suggestions! I especially like the double-tap-to-exit feature you mention.

I'm going to be adding a word-reading feature soon and I'll look into the feasibility of the self-record feature as well. I will keep you posted.

Thank you for the support!
12-17-2010, 12:20 PM
The BeBot music app uses a double tap on the option icon and works well. My 4 month old can play with that app for quite a while and never triggers the options screen.
12-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Also via this topic I would like to thank Gamecollage for the promo code i received.

The first impressions were nothing but very positive...from the looks, the graphics...to the action and the clean menu...just very high quality which i didn't yet came across in other interactive children books.

Cannot wait to let my kids play with it tommorow to see what their reaction will be...