★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Worse. Review. Ever.

12-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Worse. Review. Ever.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Vario...ew.asp?c=25993

I know pocketgamer is a bit of a joke but according to them Aralon is below average, 6 out of 10. Really? Do they think that there are much better RPGs out there that outshine Aralon? Do you think that they do this intentionally just to generate a buzz? I think that it's the best RPG out there right now, what does that say about the other RPGs on the market? Should reviewers but allow to smoke crack before writting a review? What do you think?
12-16-2010, 02:31 PM
This is what they posted about space miner...
Quote:
The good, the bad, and the ugly

It's an awkward control scheme. You never have satisfying command over your ship because you're constantly struggling to find the right angle and velocity. It does allow you to fire weapons in any direction while moving, but it's unintuitive.

An option to eliminate the thruster and tie movement and direction to the analogue stick is available, but that fares no better. It's extremely hard to exert control over the ship with this toggled. Sometimes the ship moves forward when you slide the stick, whereas other times it just turns it in place.

A twin-stick configuration - one analogue stick for movement, another for directional attacks - should have been offered: in fact, it ought to have been the default means of control. Without question, it's the game's biggest source of aggravation.

Such an oversight impacts other aspects of gameplay. Without pinpoint control, combat becomes artificially hard. During routine mining missions where enemies pose little threat, it's not a concern, but story-related missions feature intense combat scenarios that are made unnecessarily difficult due to the controls.
This originality and charm makes Space Miner a good game, but its flaws hold it back from being a great one. The gold is right there, it just needs to be refined.
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhon...ew.asp?c=18538

12-16-2010, 02:37 PM
I never thought much of Pocket Gamer (positive or negative), but over the last few weeks I've been noticing how ignorant and stupid they can be.

It's unfortunate, but I think they may be the "IGN" of the iDevice world. I used to love IGN, but all my favorite editors have left, and one of my favorite editors changed into a douchebag, and they changed their rating scale... Not to mention all the one-sided bias I've been noticing over the last several months, as well.

Bleck. Whatevs. I don't let reviews get to me. It's not like Pocket Gamer's reviews made or broke me buying a game. I'll be keeping it that way, too

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。
12-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Thats why I love these forums. No reviewer can get you more honest opinion than the forum community.
12-16-2010, 02:56 PM
It's a review of their own opinion... it's what they think a game is like. They get thousands of views a day, so there are obviously some out there that agree with their style of gaming.
12-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WunDaii View Post
It's a review of their own opinion... it's what they think a game is like. They get thousands of views a day, so there are obviously some out there that agree with their style of gaming.
Not surely. I go there to laugh.
12-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
Thats why I love these forums. No reviewer can get you more honest opinion than the forum community.
And you're not on crack!! But seriously, it's true, user's review are more accurate than paid reviewers. I respect somebody's opinion to dislike the flaws that the game has but such a low score is simply laughable, it's almost like he's trolling and teasing the readers for his own enjoyment.
12-16-2010, 03:03 PM
uh based off most of the scores they give their games. I think anything above a 5 means the game is pretty good o0"

Sometimes reviewers don't like the controls of a game.

I can't stand any ios fps. Just feels wrong. Don't give a shit about other people's reviews if you already bought the damn game.

=)
12-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WunDaii View Post
While I cant speak about aralon (not really fond of RPGs), I did play (and loved) space miner and its simply absurd what they said about the game and controls. Its one game which had pretty much zero negative response on the forums (still the only one I think). So pretty sure its not just me who disagrees with that review. If controls of that game were an issue for PG, then I dont think they should even review iOS games.
12-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
While I cant speak about aralon (not really fond of RPGs), I did play (and loved) space miner and its simply absurd what they said about the game and controls. Its one game which had pretty much zero negative response on the forums (still the only one I think). So pretty sure its not just me who disagrees with that review. If controls of that game were an issue for PG, then I dont think they should even review iOS games.
I just think no one told them that space miner was pretty much a homage to Asteroids, not some geometry wars twin stick shooter =P