★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Revolutionize PC Gaming

12-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Revolutionize PC Gaming

This is the most ridiculous thing to happen to PC gaming. Think of how high the prices for games that have great company brands for the PC. Those games are all really expensive $20-$60. Now you have this App store coming with tons and tons of competition.

As a independent developer this is great! I'll sell my $1-$5 game against them, which is going to make them lower their prices. Take Peggle or Bejeweled you have to pay $30-$40. In the app store it's more like $3 because it's so competitive.

New way of distribution for the independent developer, lowering the barrier to enter, and getting new creative content into the market. Plus more people will be buying because it will be a mouse click away rather then having to go to the store.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!! I'M PUMPED!

Fish Have No Souls ~~~~~~ GET IT!
12-18-2010, 08:19 PM
You genuinely think -PC- (there's the hint) gaming will be revolutionised by Apple (haha) on Mac?
No gamer worth their breath uses a mac. Believe me, Windows is the answer to games. Larger install base, cheaper, easier to work with, not held hostage to apple for upgrades etc.
For what it costs for a Mac, a user can purchase a high end 64 bit gaming monster.
And upgrade it as they see fit.

Asus M3A78 Pro - Asus HD5770 - 6GB [3x2GB] Corsair RAM - AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.6 GHZ - 320GB Seagate HDD - 1TB Seagate HDD x2 (RAID-1) - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit -
Ibanez guitars, Dimarzio pickups, Laney amplification, Line 6 effects, D'addario strings and lots of Dunlop picks!

12-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie Blackmore View Post
Believe me, consoles is the answer to games.
Corrected.
12-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusse View Post
Corrected.

Not for me - I have 360 and PS3:

My 360 is used to play the once in a while, great XBLA offering.

My PS3 is used as a Blue Ray Player (until Little Big Planet 2 comes out).

All of my gaming time these days gets absorbed between PC and iPad.

Oh wait..forgot I have the Wii also - haven't used that in a year.

...maybe it's an age thing.

Life's too Short for long-Ass Cut Scenes

GameCenter: JCat
12-18-2010, 11:51 PM
The mainstream AAA game industry moved to consoles some time back now, the pc is only thrown mediocre console ports here and there. Recently though, there's been a renewal in interest for the pc as DD services offer good ways to distribute a game without the difficulty that console makers put on developers.

Strife: Quest for the Sigil - FPS/RPG blend of action!
12-19-2010, 10:25 AM
You are missing my point.
In the title he stated "PC gaming" meaning gaming on a personal computer. In which case, Windows is the leader. Mac never has and probably never will be able to compete with that.
In terms of gaming as a whole consoles dominate the market.

For me it is:
Xbox 360 - playing games.
PlayStation 3 - playing games.
PC - playing games.
Every other console I own (many) - playing games.
I don't understand these fan boy types that go around on youtube talking utter nonsense trying to make one system better than the other. If they were that "hardcore" of a gamer surely they would own all and utilize them to their fullest? The main reason I switched to my iphone 4 is because of the games.

Asus M3A78 Pro - Asus HD5770 - 6GB [3x2GB] Corsair RAM - AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.6 GHZ - 320GB Seagate HDD - 1TB Seagate HDD x2 (RAID-1) - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit -
Ibanez guitars, Dimarzio pickups, Laney amplification, Line 6 effects, D'addario strings and lots of Dunlop picks!
12-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusse View Post
Corrected.
I have nothing against consoles but this is why I'm a PC Gamer:

When you buy a console, you get exactly what you paid for; $200 worth of 5 year old hardware that struggles to handle most games at 720P (95% of console games run at 544 or 600P resolution. A rare few go at 720P. 1080P games are upscaled by the system, it's not native 1080P.).

A common misconception is that people have to spend $10,000 on AlienWare crap to play PC games. This is flat out wrong. Learn how to buy hardware and you can buy an amazing gaming PC for $500 and not have to upgrade it for years while running the best looking games in the industry like Crysis and Metro 2033 smoothly at 1080P resolution.

When the XBOX 360 and PS3 were first released they touted "HD Gaming" at 720P. PC gamers had been past 720P years earlier and they were reaching resolutions like 1680 by 1050 and 1920 by 1080. Now gamers are moving on to 1440 and 1600p res while in 2013 Sony and Microsoft will tout 1080P gaming for the first time.

Show me one console game that looks anything like this:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums...ic_id=26064129

There's a very good reason why Crysis was a PC only game. There is absolutely no way a current generation console could pull of textures, lighting, and physics seen in the game smothly. Now you may say "Consoles can run CryEngine 3 and Crysis 2 is coming to consoles." CryEngine 3 on concoles is roughly equivalent to CryEngine 2 on Medium settings on PC.

And in Crysis the difference between settings "High" and "Very High" is very big. The difference between "Medium" and something better than "Very High" will be like night and day.

This what the current DirectX 11 cards of today can do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntbMUIJGa_0

These visuals are Hollywood like, while some parts look as good as real life.

A bet a PS4 or XBOX 720 won't even be able to pull visuals like that off.

The only valid argument I've heard against PC Gaming is user base. Who cares whether there are 2 million people in online servers or 200,000, you just need 10 people online to play and enjoy the game, You don't need 2 million people.

When most companies give away DLC for free on PC, console users have to pay $20 for map packs and other crap. All of that adds up.

I can go on and on why controls are better on PC, especially in FPS games, but I'll rest my case here.

And whoever said the PC is dying because all we get are crappy ports is right. It's a sad thing. The downright best way to game in history is going down the drain is wasted due to lazy-ass cheap developers that code like crap. they don't deserve $50 for their BS games. They should pay me to take those pieces of crap. We need more games that push the platform to its limits like Metro 2033, Crysis 2, DiRT 2/3, GTA IV, etc.

Some of these games could make any PS3 look like a pile on junk for a decade ago.,

Last edited by iPhondTouch3G; 12-19-2010 at 11:12 AM.
12-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhondTouch3G View Post
This what the current DirectX 11 cards of today can do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntbMUIJGa_0

These visuals are Hollywood like, while some parts look as good as real life.

A bet a PS4 or XBOX 720 won't even be able to pull visuals like that off.
I know what you mean but when XBox360 and PS3 came out they were up there with the best PC cards, the PS3 basically has an NVidia 79xx chip. The 360 has something similarly specced from ATI.

Also consider the visuals that same hardware is achieving these days. how many times would a hardcore PC gamer have upgraded since?

Quote:
And whoever said the PC is dying because all we get are crappy ports is right. It's a sad thing. The downright best way to game in history is going down the drain is wasted due to lazy-ass cheap developers that code like crap. they don't deserve $50 for their BS games. They should pay me to take those pieces of crap.
That almost sounds like a justification for piracy, which is of course a huge problem on PC. Most PC gamers don't buy games, they spend their gaming budget on a subscription to some MMO and a new graphics card every six months...

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-
12-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennX View Post
I know what you mean but when XBox360 and PS3 came out they were up there with the best PC cards, the PS3 basically has an NVidia 79xx chip. The 360 has something similarly specced from ATI.

Also consider the visuals that same hardware is achieving these days. how many times would a hardcore PC gamer have upgraded since?

That almost sounds like a justification for piracy, which is of course a huge problem on PC. Most PC gamers don't buy games, they spend their gaming budget on a subscription to some MMO and a new graphics card every six months...
I have upgraded once since 2006. I bought a card in 2006, an 8600GT, and ran most games at 1440 x 900 resolution, which is higher than console games anyway.

Now in 2010 I bought a GTS 450. Now I am running every game at 1080p smoothly.

If you know how to buy hardware, you won't have to upgrade very often at all.
12-25-2010, 05:04 AM
When do you guys think the ipad will see games like thiw though (i think the iconsnwould be too small for iphone version to be made):
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/kingarthur/review.html

The game currently only costs app store price level of $1.5 yet it is more cmplex and deeper than any app store game I can think of despite not getting great reviews compared to otjer pc games it would be like the perfext game if it came out for ipad.