★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Jari Karvonen
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 14.0 MB
  • Version: 1.40
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 3.7 (3)
App description: Explore the world of Rullaan!

Orbiting the distant planet of Rullaan there remains mysterious structures left behind by an ancient civilization. You need steady hands to steer the spherical recon droid through all the levels.

EstudioiPhone.com: "Muy adictivo." "recomendado 100%"

Gamer feedback:
"RECOMMENDED!"
"I'll keep it around for sure."
"Mesmerizing and addictive!"
"...it gets you coming back for more!"

All music by Apparent Symmetry:
apparentsymmetry.bandcamp.com

Features:
- 30 levels
- Smooth and responsive tilt controls
- In-game music with 4 beautiful tracks
- Retina Display support
- Retro style graphics

Tips:
- Game starts from your last played level.
- You can tap the ARROW buttons in the PAUSE MODE to navigate through the UNLOCKED levels.

xn45oo's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up
12-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Great tilt game with lot of potential

I am a puzzle game fan, and I like this type of games, so already bought Rullaan.

My initial impressions are very positive. I liked the minimalistic and retro styled 3D graphics. 8-bit (?, I guess) sound effects are also minimalistic, but fit well into the mood of the game. Tilt controls are accurate and pretty well implemented - I have not experienced any frustrating moments on the levels I have managed to play through so far.

Some features could be polished a bit. For instance, when I pushed a box with the sphere, I expected to hear a suitable sound effect. Also, the symbols used for triggers, switch etc. could be bit more illustrative. Of course, on the other hand, I guess the symbols are designed by a graphical designer of an ancient super civilization, so I should not expect them to be immediately clear for me

I hope that the developer keeps up the good work, and continues to further develop this game. I am looking forward for new levels, especially more puzzle oriented ones, and hopefully with some new clever widgets and tricks. Furthermore, I would not mind meeting some representatives of that ancient civilization in some future levels ...

I have still (or should I say only) 6 levels to go, and definitely want more levels as upgrades. The game has a lot of potential (the idea, graphics, tilt controls), so I really hope that the developer keeps submitting upgrades.

As a conclusion, I can highly recommend this game.

12-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuusio View Post
I am a puzzle game fan, and I like this type of games, so already bought Rullaan.

My initial impressions are very positive. I liked the minimalistic and retro styled 3D graphics. 8-bit (?, I guess) sound effects are also minimalistic, but fit well into the mood of the game. Tilt controls are accurate and pretty well implemented - I have not experienced any frustrating moments on the levels I have managed to play through so far.

Some features could be polished a bit. For instance, when I pushed a box with the sphere, I expected to hear a suitable sound effect. Also, the symbols used for triggers, switch etc. could be bit more illustrative. Of course, on the other hand, I guess the symbols are designed by a graphical designer of an ancient super civilization, so I should not expect them to be immediately clear for me

I hope that the developer keeps up the good work, and continues to further develop this game. I am looking forward for new levels, especially more puzzle oriented ones, and hopefully with some new clever widgets and tricks. Furthermore, I would not mind meeting some representatives of that ancient civilization in some future levels ...

I have still (or should I say only) 6 levels to go, and definitely want more levels as upgrades. The game has a lot of potential (the idea, graphics, tilt controls), so I really hope that the developer keeps submitting upgrades.

As a conclusion, I can highly recommend this game.
is this your first post? eheh...joking!

I love this world!
12-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulderino View Post
is this your first post? eheh...joking!
Yes, actually it was my first ever post to Toucharcade since I joined this forum about a year ago. So, I guess, this must be then the second one ...

One more thing. I forgot to mention in my very-first-post-ever-to-this-forum that one of the reasons I like Rullaan is that it reminds me about one of my all time PlayStation favorites, Kula World. If you are not an old timer like me and never played the game yourself, you can find game playing videos of that great game from YouTube. I really hope that some day Kula World get ported to iOS devices.
12-17-2010, 04:24 PM
game looks cool. Any chance of retina display support in the future?

Icon is a window to game's soul...
12-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugekava View Post
game looks cool. Any chance of retina display support in the future?
Thanks! The retina support is indeed on my roadmap, but first I want to create more levels for the game. That will be my main focus for the first upgrade release. Actually, I am currently developing on a 2nd generation iPod Touch, but maybe this little hobby project of mine will bring me just enough pocket money to get a new iPod Touch or even an iPhone

I am sorry for the bad video quality on the YouTube video. Since my old MacBook is not able to run both the emulator and the screencast SW simultaneously, I had to record the video use a camcorder. It looks much better on a real device - even without retina And its 60fps already on 2nd gen device.
12-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuusio View Post
Some features could be polished a bit. For instance, when I pushed a box with the sphere, I expected to hear a suitable sound effect. Also, the symbols used for triggers, switch etc. could be bit more illustrative.
Thanks. I hope to deliver improved sound fx on future upgrades and new level concepts are already in the pipeline
12-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xn45oo View Post
Thanks! The retina support is indeed on my roadmap, but first I want to create more levels for the game. That will be my main focus for the first upgrade release. Actually, I am currently developing on a 2nd generation iPod Touch, but maybe this little hobby project of mine will bring me just enough pocket money to get a new iPod Touch or even an iPhone

I am sorry for the bad video quality on the YouTube video. Since my old MacBook is not able to run both the emulator and the screencast SW simultaneously, I had to record the video use a camcorder. It looks much better on a real device - even without retina And its 60fps already on 2nd gen device.
I have played the game mostly on iPhone 4, but tested it also on my old iPhone 3G. Looks pretty good on both them, so I am not sure whether having retina display support brings a significant improvement. The performance seems to be ok on iPhone 3G.

So, I hope you indeed focus on creating more levels . I also played a bit on iPad both in 1x and 2x modes. In latter mode, there is some visible jittering, but in my opinion that is not too disturbing.

One proposal: Have you considered to somehow visually indicate the check points?
12-22-2010, 06:45 PM
The game is very good actually. I run it on my iPot Touch 4G and it looks excellent, especially the ball. I can only imagine how good it wood look with retina display support. The actual gameplay is a mix of Edge and Dark Nebula. the controls are pretty tight, and I love the fact that you can use forcefields like catapults. So far the level design and puzzles have been fun. Definitely would love more levels, but retina display would also be welcome as it would make the game look even more gorgeous. Fans of the genre would love this game. RECOMMENDED!

Icon is a window to game's soul...
12-22-2010, 06:48 PM
oooh I'm a big fan of this genre. Looks way better than my attempt at ball rolling game. bought.