Raptor: Call of the Shadows for iPhone - Preview

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Mike W., Dec 17, 2010.

1. Mike W.

Mike W. Active Member

Apr 15, 2009
    professional game developer
    Upstate New York
    Hi I'm Michael P. Welch, president of Blitwise Productions, LLC and the developer of Pocket Tanks for the iPhone.

Here is a sneak preview of our latest project - Raptor: Call of the Shadows for iOS devices. The app is approved and should be in the App Store the week of December 20th, 2010.

Blitwise ports Raptor to the iPhone:
    Personally, Raptor was one of the first IBM-compatible PC games I played back in the day along with classics like: Jazzy Jackrabbit, Doom 2, Wolfenstein 3D and many other amazing VGA games from the 1990's. Raptor is definitely my favorite vertical shooter from that era, and it's very exciting to bring it up-to-speed for the next generation of mobile gamers.

Trailer:

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Visit the Raptor iPhone website to learn more, plus see a video with a behind the scenes look at Blitwise, the creation of Raptor iPhone, and an interview.
    http://www.blitwise.com/raptor_iphone.html

Both Raptor and Raptor Lite will be in the App Store before Christmas. Thanks for checking it out!

2. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    im really excited about this one. i loved this game way back in olden days.

3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    THE Raptor? Be still, my beating heart!

4. spyky

spyky Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    How about THE TYRIAN? Heh

but yeah raptor is all cool, brings me WAAAAY back.

5. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

OMG!

This was my wet dream since app store launched!!!
    I love this game! I remember playing it to death when I was at uni.

From the little I saw of the gameplay the Raptor lags a bit behind the finger. Please tell me that the movement is responsive here.

6. Mike W.

Mike W. Active Member

Apr 15, 2009
    professional game developer
    Upstate New York
    That would be the camera angle making it look odd. (I noticed that too) When you are playing the game for yourself, you'll find that the touch interface is very responsive and you can play and beat the game at all difficulty levels. (the touchscreen controls are a tightened up variant of the mouse controls that came with the Windows version of the game in 2004)

If the controls need to be tightened up a bit more, than so be it. We'll release updates as needed, but frankly all of us at Blitwise have been playtesting this game like crazy. The game plays really well.

BTW - Raptor runs at full speed even on older iPhone devices. However, if you run Raptor side-by-side on an iPhone3G and an iPhone4, you'll see that the iPhone4 frame rate is absolutely silky smooth. (Plus the touchscreen controls are retina display resolution on iPhone4 which is another nice plus for the latest hardware) This game runs just as fast on an iPhone as is did on an old-school DOS PC. I'm pleasantly surprised by the end results. :)

7. Johno

Johno Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    omgomgomg my dreams have been answered. Raptor, finally! My favorite game as a kid... I'm so happy!