★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Vector Tanks 1.1.1 Update Thread

03-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Vector Tanks 1.1.1 Update Thread

Hey guys.

Right after Vector Tanks 1.1 hit the App Store I started hearing from people having trouble with the game hanging or crashing. Within a few hours I believe I had tracked the problem down and fixed it, and version 1.1.1 with a fix was submitted. That update should be out any time now (I think it was submitted last Sunday - hurry up Apple!!!). Maybe today or tomorrow.

I sincerely apologize for anyone who is having this problem, and I really wish the Apple submission process for 'my app is crashing - here is a fix' was faster than a 1 week minimum turnaround!

Anyway, if you are one of the ones having problems with the app hanging, PLEASE use this thread to let me know (1) what kind of device you have (including how much memory and OS version), and (2) does the 1.1.1 update fix the problem (when it becomes available), and (3) does rebooting your device cause the crash to go away?

Thank you for everyone's patience! As a extra bonus, version 1.1.1 will also allow you to play your own music while playing the game, so hopefully that will help people forgive me!! :-)

-Peter
03-22-2009, 06:39 PM
this game is sweet, i wish the next update would have completely SOLID objects, as an additional graphics level

Plus+ ID: Wegmans

03-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Vecotr tanks 1.1.1 details?

Does anyone know what was changed in the recent vector tanks v1.1.1 update? Thanks to the app store being jacked off with old update info lately it was only showing the 1.1 details and i gave up and just hit download all anyways before reading the notes
03-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Looks like the update just hit the store.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=304348380&mt=8

Please let me know if this fixes the crashing/hanging problem!

-Peter
03-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster2982 View Post
Does anyone know what was changed in the recent vector tanks v1.1.1 update?
v1.1.1 should fix the memory/crashing/hanging bug as well as allow you to listen to your own music during the game.

-Peter
03-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Wasn't experiencing any problems on 2nd gen. Touch

Games Playing: Kids & Zombies, Infinity Gene, Q*bert, Resident Evil, Peggle, PacMan Remix
Listening to: Devin The Dude/ Waitin' to Inhale
03-23-2009, 02:39 AM
Just a heads-up/opinion...This game sounds cool, but the demo version really turned me off to buying it. It's like a 10 second demo and gives me no feel at all for how the game would play.

My suggestion is to at least add a couple more tanks. A 10 second demo doesn't work for me. I used to play Battlezone in the arcades a few decades ago so I would be inclined to buy this.

Just a friendly suggestion
03-23-2009, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schplurg View Post
Just a heads-up/opinion...This game sounds cool, but the demo version really turned me off to buying it. It's like a 10 second demo and gives me no feel at all for how the game would play.

My suggestion is to at least add a couple more tanks. A 10 second demo doesn't work for me. I used to play Battlezone in the arcades a few decades ago so I would be inclined to buy this.

Just a friendly suggestion
I just downloaded the free version of vector tanks and if thats true I will second that opinion for sure.

Otherwise I wont be buying on a whim.
03-23-2009, 06:24 AM
I agree with you on the limitations of the free version. I had wanted to do something more generous for the free version and have the paid version be more of an 'upgrade' with more tanks and powerup. I will say that the current free version was not 'my call', but at the very least it should give people the ability to test drive the tank and get a taste of the game. The free version might possibly receive an update at some point, but like I said - I'm somewhat stuck between my constant desire to always give things away for free and the publisher that I hired to keep me from doing that. :-)

One thing I am definitely looking into doing for the free version (and probably the paid version as well) is something like a "let's learn how to drive and fire" tutorial stage. This would help stretch out the free version and keep people from getting too frustrated with tanks firing at them right away before they know how to control things.

So yes - I do hear all of you on the free version. :-)

And as always, I ask for your comments and feedback. I do listen to it all!

-Peter
03-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hirschberg View Post
I agree with you on the limitations of the free version. I had wanted to do something more generous for the free version and have the paid version be more of an 'upgrade' with more tanks and powerup. I will say that the current free version was not 'my call', but at the very least it should give people the ability to test drive the tank and get a taste of the game. The free version might possibly receive an update at some point, but like I said - I'm somewhat stuck between my constant desire to always give things away for free and the publisher that I hired to keep me from doing that. :-)

One thing I am definitely looking into doing for the free version (and probably the paid version as well) is something like a "let's learn how to drive and fire" tutorial stage. This would help stretch out the free version and keep people from getting too frustrated with tanks firing at them right away before they know how to control things.

So yes - I do hear all of you on the free version. :-)

And as always, I ask for your comments and feedback. I do listen to it all!

-Peter
Well, I am not a "nostalgic" as I've never played back in the day, but I am really contemplating the game

I found the lite version implemented well to serve it's purpose; for those already considering purchasing, make them want it more. I find after trying the lite VT, purchasing is imminent, for me.

I see reviews on the App Store for lite versions with comments like "this game sucks" or "nice idea and graphics, but this game is too short", as if these people are expecting the free version is a full game for spoiled Apple kids who don't want to pay.

Anyway thanks for being active here Peter, cheers

Richard

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon

Last edited by rich_952000; 03-23-2009 at 06:49 AM.