★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What does it take to make Iphone games?

12-18-2010, 12:13 AM
#1
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Quebec/Canada
Posts: 32
What does it take to make Iphone games?

I love my iphone soo much that I want to get back to school to make games for it.

I want to ask you devs, what does it take to become a game designer for the iOS?
12-18-2010, 12:10 PM
#2
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaudooG33k View Post
I love my iphone soo much that I want to get back to school to make games for it.

I want to ask you devs, what does it take to become a game designer for the iOS?
Of course your gonna need to know a thing or two about coding. Then you need a Mac, and a Developer License from apple if you plan to put it up on the appstore. I believe the license costs you $99USD

Founder of Sgarrista Air Brigade
Devs, if you want reviews click here!
Yep, I'm a Brony
PSN: AeroFlare7221

12-18-2010, 02:44 PM
#3
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 194
Send a message via AIM to DrummerB Send a message via MSN to DrummerB
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaudooG33k View Post
What does it take to become a game designer for the iOS?
A lot of time and dedication.

If you already know the basics of programming in general (variables, pointers, functions, classes) you can probably start reading through Apple's documentation. If you didn't already, register as an iPhone developer for free to access them. Start here: Getting Started with iOS.
If you are completely new to programming, get a book about C and learn the basics.
Either way, it will be overwhelming at first, but once start seeing your code to come alive on your iPhone, it will make a lot of fun.

Developer of Practice Pro for musicians.
12-21-2010, 08:58 AM
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerB View Post
A lot of time and dedication.

If you already know the basics of programming in general (variables, pointers, functions, classes) you can probably start reading through Apple's documentation. If you didn't already, register as an iPhone developer for free to access them. Start here: Getting Started with iOS.
If you are completely new to programming, get a book about C and learn the basics.
Either way, it will be overwhelming at first, but once start seeing your code to come alive on your iPhone, it will make a lot of fun.
Summed up very nicely. As DrummerB says the personal reward from seeing your ideas come to life makes it all a lot of fun, so the dedication is the easy part - the hard part is finding the time.

To prototype a basic game idea can be pretty quick but to actually get a game finished and in the store and be worth people's hard-earned takes a lot longer.

If you have a Mac already just have a go and get stuck in, you'll soon find out if you like it or not. Check out all the sample code and play around. Using one of the many beginner's iPhone programming books will help you learn what you need in a more structured way - remember you have to walk before you can run.

Alternatively, if you only want to Design games, then all you need is imagination and an ability to articulate and illustrate the design on paper. Then you could see if any programmers / artists out there are willing to help you make it come to life. In my experience though the ideas are the easy bit - it's the coding it that takes all the time. So if you're worried about people stealing a totally new original idea I wouldn't worry too much - people that copy game ideas only seem to do so for existing successful games. Unless you have a Tetris-beater that is, then to be safe best to make it yourself.

Apps: Lead Wars (TA Thread) | Super Grav (TA Thread)
DemonStudios Ltd | Indie Game Dev
www.demonstudios.com
Follow: Facebook | Twitter
12-21-2010, 04:47 PM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonJim View Post
Alternatively, if you only want to Design games, then all you need is imagination and an ability to articulate and illustrate the design on paper. Then you could see if any programmers / artists out there are willing to help you make it come to life. In my experience though the ideas are the easy bit...
As a game designer by trade I have to add a caveat to this.

The idea is the easy bit. Anybody can come up with one. I have received several 'I have an idea about a octopus shooter game... how much will you pay me for it' emails in my inbox.

The articulating, illustrating, balancing and making the idea a fun game for others is a very different beast. This takes time, foresight and a lot of creative energy.

If you are truely looking at becoming a Game Designer, not a developer, this 8 minute video sums up what you need pretty well.
So you want to be a game designer

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!
12-23-2010, 12:25 AM
#6
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Quebec/Canada
Posts: 32
Thanks for the info guys. =)
12-23-2010, 04:00 PM
#7
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 42
know yourself

You have to know yourself. If your a good coder or learn coding fast than xcode is all you need. If your more like an artist , than game salad will help you build your game quicker and easier. Know what time you have and what your strengths are.
12-24-2010, 02:03 PM
#8
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 5,305
This sounds basic, but planning is a big part. Not that life is a bunch of schedules and Excel documents (although it may seem that way), but develop a plan for what you want to do and set deadlines that you can stick to. If you're intent on your goals, planning will help you organize and implement the activities needed to make them happen.
12-26-2010, 08:20 AM
#9
Invisible

Actually the hard part, if your not a pogrammer, is even finding a GOOD and I mean GOOD outsource programmer to even reply to you.

You have your game and you have worked out the monetization and mechanics and all thats left is to find a GOOD programmer or studio.

Because in the outsoursing world there are a lot of wolves in sheeps clothing who could not even program a microwave oven.

Last edited by Noodler; 12-26-2010 at 08:23 AM.
12-27-2010, 05:18 AM
#10
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 307
At first it will seem that it is hard, but stick to it and don't give up. If you have no knowledge of programming, you might want to try on a higher-level language like actionscript 2 which creates flash games.