★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Mark Rein tweets: Infinity Blade not be on sale anytime soon, but will be updated.

12-18-2010, 02:43 AM
#1
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,899
Mark Rein tweets: Infinity Blade not be on sale anytime soon, but will be updated.

http://twitter.com/#!/MarkRein/status/15908910695190528
Quote:
Folks we are NOT going to screw the folks who bought Infinity Blade at $5.99 by dropping the [price] only a few weeks after we ship!
http://twitter.com/#!/MarkRein/status/15908311140401152
Quote:
We're going to bring you some awesome new FREE content that ADDS TO THE VALUE you've already spent on the game....
http://twitter.com/#!/MarkRein/status/15908701592363009
Quote:
Some of this has already been submitted to Apple and will arrive next week with more in the new year!
The dollar crowd won't be happy to hear this.
12-18-2010, 03:31 AM
#2
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 286
Tbh the App store needs someone like Epic to bring an amazing engine over and to change the mentality of the cheap arses. Frigging you pay 10 for a movie that lasts an hour and a half, yet you wont pay that price for a game that you might play for a couple of months. I know I played Angry Birds for what feels like a year now and I woulda paid 35 for it like I pay for any big PC game.

Can't wait for the day when I see full priced games on there because it means major studios will take the platform seriously.

That said Epic haven't made a good game in my eyes since UT99 lol.

12-18-2010, 04:03 AM
#3
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles,CA
Posts: 1,620
I really liked the free updates to add value to what you paid very well said. The time for AppStore changes is already beginning. Lots of big releases most were above 5 dollars and people bought them. But there will always be a market for everyone whether it's dollar games or 7-10 dollar games. Glad to see EPIC sticking to it's price well worth it,but it all depends on the buyer.

V|I|D|E|O|G|A|M|E|S
My Anti-Drug
12-18-2010, 04:09 AM
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTKiNG View Post
I really liked the free updates to add value to what you paid very well said. The time for AppStore changes is already beginning. Lots of big releases most were above 5 dollars and people bought them. But there will always be a market for everyone whether it's dollar games or 7-10 dollar games. Glad to see EPIC sticking to it's price well worth it,but it all depends on the buyer.
Yea but look at ea. I wouldnt doubt they had more success as well lately.
12-18-2010, 04:53 AM
#5
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles,CA
Posts: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirolak26 View Post
Yea but look at ea. I wouldnt doubt they had more success as well lately.
I dont doubt it either I think 99 cents is just more affordable to a wider audience so more buyers.

V|I|D|E|O|G|A|M|E|S
My Anti-Drug
12-18-2010, 06:56 AM
#6
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 704
Value = Quality / Price

2 ways to raise value:
Bad; Decrease price
Good; Increase quality
Best; Do both

Last edited by Tmonine; 12-18-2010 at 07:01 AM.
12-18-2010, 07:28 AM
#7
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: The 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTKiNG View Post
I dont doubt it either I think 99 cents is just more affordable to a wider audience so more buyers.
But that doesn't necessarily mean more revenue. If 1 of their games was $4.99 before and now is $0.99, they now have to sell 5 copies to make the same revenue from that product.

btw, Infinity Blade now lists almost 400,000 players on game center. Thats a over $2m in a bit over a week.

Games I'm Playing: Jetpack Joyride, Infinity Blade 2, Batman, COD
Waiting For: Thunderbeam, Lostwinds, GTA3, Sonic CD
12-18-2010, 01:52 PM
#8
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Where dreams become reality
Posts: 258
price wars

There is and always will be the dollar crowd. Our 1st game we fell for the trap and made a casual game. While our game is good , its not the type of games we grew up playing. We decided for our next game to be more console type action like 2D Super Nes or playstation game. This is taking us a while to make , but its much more complete. The longer in development , the higher the quality, the higher the price. Its really that simple.
12-18-2010, 03:52 PM
#9
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krehol Games View Post
There is and always will be the dollar crowd. Our 1st game we fell for the trap and made a casual game. While our game is good , its not the type of games we grew up playing. We decided for our next game to be more console type action like 2D Super Nes or playstation game. This is taking us a while to make , but its much more complete. The longer in development , the higher the quality, the higher the price. Its really that simple.
...and...

There are certainly many developers that hold fast the their pricing on the app store.

The biggest issue developers face today is the glut of apps that flood the market. It's *extremely* easy to get lost in the crowd - hence the price cuts and one day promotions through sites like FAAD. It seems that if you don't get coverage on a site like TA, MacRumors, TUAW or make the Apple's app recommendations, you're going to get lost in the crowd.



--DotComCTO
12-18-2010, 03:58 PM
#10
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 482
Infinity Blade is definitely worth $5.99 at most. Repeating bloodlines over and over plus the fact that you're repeating the same 30-60 minutes of content makes the $5.99 price sort of pushing the game's value. Until you throw in the game's amazing graphics, that is. If it was a more full-fledged, off-rails experience then the arguments for a higher price would be justified.

Editor at iPhone Alley - Complete re-launch coming soon!
64GB black iPhone 5 - 32GB black 3rd-gen iPad